Has there been any season where every basin was active?

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

Has there been any season where every basin was active?

#1 Postby bob rulz » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:41 am

I've always wondered; since atmospheric conditions usually mean that when one basin (say the Atlantic) is hyperactive, the basin on the opposite side of the world is inactive (say the West Pacific), has there ever been any freak year when essentially every basin in hyperactive, or at least above average?

Also, is there any correlation between conditions in the Southern Hemisphere and the conditions in the Northern Hemisphere in the preceding or upcoming hurricane seasons, or do they just not affect each other enough?
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2 Postby RL3AO » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:50 am

I don't know of any years where the Atlantic, EPac, and WPac were above average. Also, 1977 was the only year where all three basins were below average. Atlantic had six storms, EPac had eight storms (most inactive season recorded in modern era (1970+), and the WPac had 19 storms which is well below the average of 30 or so.

Of course the inactive 1977 AHS had Anita make landfall as a cat 5 so go figure. Kind of like 1992.
0 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby bob rulz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:34 am

So pretty much the theory that if the Atlantic is inactive then the West Pacific and/or East Pacific will be active or vice versa is an almost definite conclusion?
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”