ACE

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

ACE

#1 Postby wx247 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:24 am

Could someone please describe fully to me what ACE is? I see it discussed on the forums (maybe it is just me, but it seems this is the first season it has been talked about) but I can't find a post really giving a good synopsis on what it is. Based on the context of the posts I have read I have a pretty good idea, but a thorough explanation would be very beneficial.

Thanks in advance!
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby HURAKAN » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:26 am

Accumulated cyclone energy (ACE) is a measure used by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to express the activity of individual tropical cyclones and entire tropical cyclone seasons, particularly the Atlantic hurricane seasons. It uses an approximation of the energy used by a tropical system over its lifetime and is calculated every six-hour period. The ACE of a season is the sum of the ACEs for each storm and takes into account the number, strength, and duration of all the tropical storms in the season.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulated_cyclone_energy
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby wx247 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:49 am

Thank you so much Hurakan for the link and for your explanation.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”