Climatological Factors For Hurricanes

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Climatological Factors For Hurricanes

#1 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:11 pm

I wonder if there are other climate patterns that affect hurricane development, especially in ATL, EPAC, WPAC, and SPAC besides El Nino/Southern Oscillation, North Atlantic Oscillation, Pacific Decadal Oscillation, Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, Pacific North American and Madden-Julian Oscillation? I wonder if these patterns also influence North and South Indian Ocean?
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby wxmann_91 » Thu May 03, 2007 1:45 am

The MJO cycle basically begins in the Indian Ocean. So to answer, yes, the Indian is affected and that can affect the ATL. You've basically touched on all the indexes. Key climatological factors are basically the ones that influence the longwave pattern, associated SLP patterns, and oceanic SST patterns. These three are basically all connected and can influence each other in a big way.

You did miss the QBO (Quasi Bennial Oscillation) which involves stratospheric influences, so I'll let an expert answer that since I'm not too well versed with that stuff.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Ptarmigan » Sat May 05, 2007 5:19 pm

wxmann_91 wrote:The MJO cycle basically begins in the Indian Ocean. So to answer, yes, the Indian is affected and that can affect the ATL. You've basically touched on all the indexes. Key climatological factors are basically the ones that influence the longwave pattern, associated SLP patterns, and oceanic SST patterns. These three are basically all connected and can influence each other in a big way.

You did miss the QBO (Quasi Bennial Oscillation) which involves stratospheric influences, so I'll let an expert answer that since I'm not too well versed with that stuff.

I have seen QBO data, but I have not seen any going back past 1948. I know QBO was first known after the 1883 Krakatoa eruption.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”