Storm2k to 8,751,249 posts

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

OtherHD
Category 5
Category 5

Storm2k to 8,751,249 posts

#1 Postby OtherHD » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:21 am

C'mon guys, do we really have to make these types of posts? We always say quality is better than quantity, so why focus so much on how many posts this site has?

Besides, at least 70,000 of the 150,000+ posts are in the games forum, where most replies are just one word. So really, we have a little less than 100,000 posts that actually try and get some kind of point across.

Suggestion: Perhaps we can have it to where posting in the games forum doesn't affect one's post count and the board's total post count? Just an idea, since like I said most games forum posts have one word replies. Most boards I post at have this feature in place in their off-topic forum, which I don't agree with as long as what's being discussed is worthwhile. We don't seem to have that problem in the OT forum. :D But the games forum IMO is just organized spamming...one word replies to make your post count higher. That's why I don't have thousands of posts...I hardly even visit the games forum.

Don't bite my head off...it's just a suggestion and something I noticed.
0 likes   

#2 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:26 am

Hey OtherHD I agree with you. Quality is better than quantity. Seems we have been having major contests to get extremely high posts rate. I know a majority of those posts come from the games forum. It would be interesting if we didn't have these challenges or contests - would people still post? Would they still post if they weren't in the top 10?

I dropped out of the race about 4 weeks ago - now I post when I have something to say. In doing that I have dropped from the #13 spot now out of the top 20. I really don't care where I am in the standings anymore. I try as an admin to set a good example and make interesting posts.

Well enough of my soapbox. Good topic HD - I think people like looking at statistics but they it can get old when you do them on every set of possible numbers.

Patricia
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:30 am

Agree that we have to post quality against quantity and I do that as I am now focused on the tropical section and I go to the off-topics section and less time I spend in the fun and games forum.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

rainstorm

#4 Postby rainstorm » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:33 am

makes alot of sense!
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:42 am

I don't think we focus on specific numbers of posts as a group as numbers but as a sign of how Storm2K is growing. As far as individual post totals are concerned... I think that it is seen as an accomplishment to reach a certain number of posts.

I see your point on the games forum, but I have a couple of responses.

1) No one uses the games forum exclusively and then doesn't post anywhere else. I know that when I go to all the other threads and have answered/read all I want, then I head over to the games forum to post.

2) If you take the post count away from the game thread then you might as well close that topic down because the posting there will drop off tremendously.

3) If you consider the games forum just empty space and of no importance then one could make the same argument about the Welcome forum.

4) Having a little competitive spirit doesn't hurt the board. If you remove the excitement and fun then this board becomes just like any other board.

Sorry this is a little long, but I think that if you choose not to post in the games that that is great and that no one thinks less of anyone just because they have less posts. You can have lots of posts and not even post in the games forum. BREEZE is a superb example of that.

I have in no way meant to offend (I seem to have people read my words wrong lately everywhere) but wanted to show the other side of the issue. I hope the moderators have no plans to erase the post count from the fun and games forum.

Sincerely,
Garrett :multi:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:45 am

PS -- just as a side note... the reason a lot of these figures have been done is because S2K has a wonderful statistician in our midst. I think no one means any harm by suggesting that these statistics are unnecessary! :) I happen to enjoy reading them.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

OtherHD
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby OtherHD » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:52 am

wx247 wrote:2) If you take the post count away from the game thread then you might as well close that topic down because the posting there will drop off tremendously.

Well, I think if that happened, it would just prove my point that people post in the games forum to increase their post count. The games forum instead should be a place where members can have a little fun. Frankly, I'm surprised that the Word Association thread is still alive! When Supercane started it on TWC's Off-Topic forum (RIP), it was wildly popular. And here we are 7 months later and it's still going on!

EDIT: You didn't offend me Garrett. I have thick skin, especially on the internet. What I find as funny others find as offensive.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:00 am

You bring up TWC, which should show you what happens when you start closing down threads to lower the posting. Once off-topic closed up, people started leaving TWC. Less options means searching elsewhere for them.

<<Well, I think if that happened, it would just prove my point that people post in the games forum to increase their post count. The games forum instead should be a place where members can have a little fun.>>

We do have fun in the Games forum. :) You should come in some time. What is wrong with the fact that we go in there to boost our posting count if we have commented on everything else? Not trying to be rude, but I see no problem with it since it is open to everyone and we all have the same opportunity to use it.

Respectfully,
Garrett
0 likes   

OtherHD
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby OtherHD » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:10 am

I'm not going to go through the TWC story again, you know how that went...lol. But I'm not trying to take away the forum. I don't mind it being there. Eliminating post counts in that forum only shouldn't eliminate all the fun. The fun lies in being able to play games, which is something you don't have on other message boards. That's the intent of the games forum...to have fun. But if people stop posting there, then that proves that it was being used to boost post counts, which was not it's original intent.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:15 am

I have stated my thoughts and I just want to say that if it doesn't count toward a post then there would be no use for it in the message board. Everyone has the opportunity to do it and no one thinks less of anyone because they have a lower posting count.

I respectfully suggest that admins leave things status quo. I see no problem with the current system. :)

Garrett
0 likes   

#11 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:52 am

I go in the games forum to play games when I really bored and heck that's been alot lately with no tropical activity.

This is a good debate - both sides of the coin have valid points.

I am curious to how many posts happen when we get a major storm????
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:53 am

There are good points made on all sides. From a purely teechnical perspective we do not have the ability to segregate the posts in the Games Forum from the other Forums. A post is a post....
0 likes   

JetMaxx

#13 Postby JetMaxx » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:08 am

I personally enjoy the Games forum....especially on hot, boring summer days...like today. :D

As for the post count....I don't see a problem with it. I don't use it exclusively to increase my post count -- why I hardly posted there until the weather got boring a few days ago.

Sure I'd like to be at major status (category 3 hurricane) -- 5000 posts is a goal of mine before August 15th -- the beginning of the major hurricane season. It's a personal goal I've set for myself; NOT because I'm trying to catch Pojo, Marshall, and Luis....or make others look small or feel badly (I try instead to uplift others and make them feel better about themelves..at all times).

I'm not saying if the Games forum posts weren't counted on my post count I'd leave, but admit I'd be very dissapointed.

Just my .02 cents worth from a forum member that thanks God every night for Storm2K and the hundreds of wonderful folks here that make it so nice :)

God Bless,
Perry W.
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Colin » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:16 am

I also enjoy the Games forum... and I also enjoy the stats being put up by Tom. It isn't because of the quantity... it's because of ACHIEVMENT! These topics are started because it will be an ACHIEVMENT! I enjoy these topics. I agree that quality is better than quantity... but for these types of stats, I don't really think it matters.

Just my 2 cents... take it or leave it.
0 likes   

#15 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:06 pm

Well i have shared my view on this before but anyways i will say that for one I do like the Welcoming threads because it lets people know what a friendly site we have which i surely cant say about a few others...................Personally i also perfer to see the games forum like it is because that where the one liners as i like to call them belong..........................One could only imagine how many threads in the other forums would have just one liners if the games forum was removed..................I will add also that i like to go to the games forum myself and have a little fun during the downtimes.....................Either way i do post lots of usefull post in the other forums whether its to do with a off topic issue, The tropics, And certainly in the USA forum and of course im doing a story segment in the weather history forum and come a couple of weeks i will be posting alot more in the sports because my favorite season will be getting ready to kick off which is the NFL and of course i do pop into all the other forums and post as well..........................But like i said and as others have said when thier is nothing else to talk about i head into the games forums to play and yes we even sometimes chat in there with or about our post....................Its nice to hear about a old song you may have forgotten or in some cases help people learn where each and every state is especially in the NE lol....................Ask me if you think about it the games forum is a great learning place as well for alot of subjects from weather words or terms to Geography and probably other things as well is learned in there for some of our fellow members.....................As far as that stats go that is Toms job and i for one do enjoy seeing them as well.........It lets me know that we are moving ahead quicker and not slower like some sites that go on the blank for whatever reason it is and i dont care to get into anyways...................The point is everyone is enjoying what they do here so why change anything? Which our membership that keep jumping proves in it self by the way...........................Hope this helps..............Try to have a good day HD...............:)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#16 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:38 pm

I hope there are no problems with my posting certain statistics. I have been thanked very many times and continue to be thanked for posting the site's statistics and that is what I am supposed to do, being the Storm2K Site Statistician.

There obvious is interest in me giving out more statistics and I would think that as one of the staff members I should be doing more. I can't do more totally on my own, without knowing what is wanted. It will be overwhelming to have several members give their opinions on what they would like to see because then there would be utter chaos.

The only posts that I have made that have to with statistics are the latest calculations on when we will reach 200,000 and 500,000 posts. Only created the 175,000 post thread because after Luis mentioned 150,000 posts, I thought that an in between value would be nice to see.

I don't want to constantly have to PM and/or IM admins. on what to post or submit for ongoing threads here on the board and in the monthly newsletter.

As far as the Fun & Games forum, there would of never been such a forum created if no one was interested. Playing the various games shows our interest in the site... not just discussing the tropics, weather in the United States in general, the weather in other countries and the very popular off-topic forum. If we only discussed the weather here, did not have off-topic discussions and play games we wouldn't know as much about each other. I feel very comfortable here corresponding with everyone with our common interest. Something I can honestly say isn't easy for me face to face with others. As I have said in the past, I think corresponding with many of you is helping me out, despite not having anywhere to go to meet people, i.e. not living in an area with people my age.

I agree with Harry, there are a number of interesting games being played there. I am sure many of us have learned a thing or two from others posting there. Conversations to each other while playing games is occurring which makes things more interesting and obvious is more than "one liners," in some cases rather than "one or two worders" :) If the forums exist, then we have the right to post there.

Those of us who access the Fun & Game threads sure do take part in the other forums here at Storm2K.
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Colin » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:11 pm

Tom, almost all of us enjoy your threads... and there is no reason to stop them. I enjoy reading them... and I agree with everything you said right there. We have a site statistician because we need these stats, and you will continue to be thanked for the wonderful job you do, and the wonderful job that I know you will continue to do!
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#18 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:06 pm

I appreciate it, Colin. Just making my point. I respect all others. I wouldn't come here if I didn't like what I saw... as the case would be for all of us. :)
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:24 pm

Good points on both sides.. but what I havent heard is what is it thats so bad about them making a lot of posts in the games forum?
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:43 pm

I kind of briefly touched on that Chad. As long as someone isn't just exclusively posting in the games forum, what is wrong with it?
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”