New Rank

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

New Rank

#1 Postby mf_dolphin » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:58 pm

We have created a new rank for the professional Meteorologists on the board. If you have a degree in Meteorology and would like to be so identified please let any of the Mods/Admins know so Chad or I can assign the appropriate Rank image :-)

The new rank image is:

Thanks
Last edited by mf_dolphin on Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

OtherHD
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby OtherHD » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:16 pm

awesome!!
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby breeze » Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:42 pm

That's so cool! Very good work, guys!
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby isobar » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:10 am

Great job guys! Looking forward to seeing it on Steve and any other S2K mets.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#5 Postby weatherlover427 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:49 am

Good job Marshall and Chad! :D The ones who will get this rank sure deserve it! :)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#6 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:49 am

Looks great. Thank you Marshall. :)
0 likes   

azskyman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby azskyman » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:30 am

Good idea.... You might want to set up a simple questionnaire to verify the degree too.

I hate to say it but I have come across a number of people who refer to themselves as professional meteorologists who are not degreed or do not work full time in the field.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#8 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:57 pm

Interesting idea, Steve. What if those of us that are amatuers (would love to be a professional meteorologist) got the recommended number of questions on the simple questionnaire correct. Could we be considered a "Professional Meteorologist on Storm2K"?
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Colin » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:31 pm

That's really cool! ;) Thanks for doing that for us! :)
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby mf_dolphin » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:48 pm

We will make sure that those requesting the new rank are who they say they are before we assign their rank. :-)
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:30 am

Wow... S2K continues to flourish! Yee haw. ;)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JetMaxx

#12 Postby JetMaxx » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:42 am

azskyman wrote:Good idea.... You might want to set up a simple questionnaire to verify the degree too.

I hate to say it but I have come across a number of people who refer to themselves as professional meteorologists who are not degreed or do not work full time in the field.

You bring up an interesting point..and a pet peeve of mine..

What am I?? No, I'm not a "degreed professional meteorologist"; in fact, I've never attended college.
Does that automatically make me a "weather weenie"? I don't think so..

I've studied meteorology and researched severe storms and hurricanes since age 12....almost three decades. I didn't just spend those years looking at spectacular photos and learning stats. I am an accomplished forecaster....if anyone doubts me, just ask a few folks at Wright-Weather.com

Last summer I was bored and entered two forecasting contests...against both professional and amateur meteorologists. I won both by a wide margin...so wide in fact I felt badly for the others. Am I the best forecaster in America; and does that qualify me as a "professional meteorologist"??

No way!! I'm not even the best forecaster at Wright-Weather (IMO Dave Tolleris aka WxRisk.com, JetStreak aka Mike, HawaiianWx aka Robert Ballard NWS Honolulu, AJC3 aka Tony Cristaldi of NWS MLB and many others are better). However, professional meteorologists do e-mail me for advice and information from time to time.

One veteran NWS forecaster told me last summer I knew more about tropical meteorology and past hurricanes than most on his staff.
The article regarding "Tropical Systems in June" I wrote and sent to ticka1 yesterday for the June Storm2K newsletter came from my head....I didn't have to look in a book for those stats and information. I can tell you every major hurricane to strike the U.S. since 1871, and in many cases tell you what made them happen...WHY hurricanes such as Andrew, Camille, and the 1935 Labor Day hurricane were so intense (and am the same regarding severe storms and tornadoes...my true love in meteorology).

I'm not posting this to boast or brag...that isn't my intention. My point is that when you study and research a subject for many years..anything, you tend to become very good at it. Does that qualify me as a professional meteorologist? No it doesn't, even though I know in my heart I could do a more competent job than many I see on tv...both on local tv broadcast affiliates here Atlanta, and at the Weather Channel network.

I'm not trying to offend anyone...but when I'm labeled as a "wx weenie", and even an "amateur" meteorologist, it is always very offensive to me, and I'll freely admit it.

Sincerely,
Perry L. Williams aka JetMaxx
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:42 pm

Perry this is merely a way of identifying those who are degreed in the field. As with anything having a degree in any subject does not automatically make you an expert. It does point out that the individual has been formally trained on the subject at hand. We created this rank to acknowledge this fact. I know plenty of amateur in several fields that are better than some of their professional counterparts. :-)
0 likes   

JetMaxx

#14 Postby JetMaxx » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:10 pm

Marshall, I didn't intend my previous post as a boast or "Perry's ego trip"...and I don't believe I deserve to be identified as a "professional degreed meteorologist" on this forum -- that would be a lie; in fact I would refuse to accept such a title.

My point was that just because a man or woman loved the weather and didn't have a college degree didn't neccesarily mean they were a "pretender" or "weather weenie" (a term that is honestly very repulsive to me).

I agree with you....a college degree makes no one an expert...and the lack of a degree makes no one an idiot. I worked alongside a couple of college educated guys at EDS that couldn't login to their PC in the morning (they'd ask me for assistance).

Of course, I learned about my PC, Microsoft Word and Excel from the best: my very own little sister. "Professor Rebecca Lynne" is the best. :)
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Stormsfury » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:02 pm

I understand exactly where Perry is coming from ... I remember a visit to the Charleston NWS and the former director and meteorologist in charge Dick Shenot telling me with my father there that day that "I knew more about meteorology than most of his staff at Charleston NWS" at that time ... was this an ego-boost for me? A definite yes. But am I a professional met? No. I do not have the degrees to back that up ... and like Perry said above, Perry and myself are likely more than qualified to be mets, but we are not "professionals" ... and that's what I think is what Perry was stating ...

SF
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:37 pm

No offence taken at all. :-) I understand the situation. I see "Weather Weanie" as a derogatory term ( can you say GreatOne? ). Amateur Meteorologist on the other hand is not. The nice thing about these forums is that over time, people get to know who's opinion to listen to both professional and non-professional. Talk is cheap but the proof is in the storm tracks!
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#17 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:20 pm

Then those of us that do know certain things, state these things and fellow members may not believe what we are saying.
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

#18 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:57 pm

Tom as i am sure you know most people here know who each of us are and what we can or cannot do in relation to the weather...................Besides most people do read the post in both the USA and Tropical forums throughly and get a chance to see what you can or cannot do or what your abilities are with the weather..................All though i do admit at times i wonder seeing how i have had a question posted over in the USA forum and have gotten only 6 replies from of which i think 4 were from the staff members here like you for instance when my point for that, was to see if and who is actually bothering to even read or check out the Storm2K forecast center (Members)..................Maybe it should have been posted in all the forums so that way everyone will see it for sure.......................Either way i do like what the admins are trying to do even though it may not be what everyone agrees with......................I personally like knowing that we do have a Pro visiting our site because it shows imo that we must be doing something right to grab thier intrest.....................All though i am sure there are those (PRO"S). that may not wanna be known for whatever reason they may have. I could imagine one reason beeing that they feel everyone may wanna jump down thier throat if something they say doesnt exactly goes as they said which WWBB is a prime example of this but i am sure the admins here would never tolerate such a thing...............But thats something for the pros to judge themselfs...................So either way you look at it its a two way street and i am sure some of the PROS may feel the same way as you do just in a different angle if you understad what i mean...................I hope this helps some.................Either way i look forward to hearing,debating, and maybe learn something from the PRO'S and in no way do i feel threatend by a title like others have pointed out its all a matter of a piece of paper which im sure those who have it busted thier tails to get it and it in no way means that i know anything less or anyone else for that matter.....................More or less people are not going to change thier minds about you because they see someone arrive that carries that title.................Like i said i hope this helps...............
0 likes   

weatherwunder
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby weatherwunder » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:04 pm

I have just finished reading this thread completely for the third time, and am still a little confused.

It is just a little rank that appears on the message. I don't think this is meant to make anyone better than anyone else. I have to compare it to a situation I am closer to. Being a licensed Paramedic in Nebraska (not my job, just an interest), if I was participating on a message board for health discussions, and there was a rank for Doctors, I would not expect to have that rank.

I have no doubt that many of the people at storm2k are excellent at forecasting and shedding light on weather discussions. I myself am just an amateur storm chaser and a lover of weather. I read the threads here and learn from nearly everyone.

I am not trying to start anything here, I just think a mountain has been made out of a molehill.

If I have upset anyone, I am sorry, that is not the intention of the post.

-Jeff
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby mf_dolphin » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:23 pm

Jeff there are two types of ranks on the board. The first type are associated with a users' post count. Right now you are a "Tropical Storm" (it is under your nickname). And have the "Rank" graphic of three blue hurricanes. As you hit certain post counts this will changes automatically. The other type of "Ranks" are assigned by the Admin Staff. These include "Admin", "Moderator", "Storm2k Forecaster", etc. They have special rank graphics to help identify them to the rest of the board. We created the new rank just to have a way of showing the professional mets that are contributing to the site. With the exception of the Admin and Moderator ranks there are no special privileges associated with the other ranks.

As with anyone who tries to forecast Mother Nature, amateur or pro, the proof is in the pudding so to say! We just wanted to be able to identify and acknowledge the professionals that are here on S2K. :-)

It always ok to ask a question here on Storm2K. I hope that answers your question.
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”