Man, it doesn't seem like a year has passed

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Mississippi Storm Magnet
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Man, it doesn't seem like a year has passed

#1 Postby Mississippi Storm Magnet » Sat May 27, 2006 10:02 pm

Trying to finish up rebuilding, and a new season is next week. So much has happened! Still good to see people still here on Storm2K.
0 likes   

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby HurryKane » Sat May 27, 2006 10:26 pm

*waves*
0 likes   

Mississippi Storm Magnet
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby Mississippi Storm Magnet » Sun May 28, 2006 7:58 am

Is it? Alive? Yes!!!!!!! LIVE!!!!!!! LIVE!!!!
0 likes   

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby HurryKane » Sun May 28, 2006 4:58 pm

Hee hee. They are finishing my roof at the moment WOO!
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Sun May 28, 2006 8:02 pm

Ya know...lightning rarely strikes at the exact same spot in some time. Here, in the Central Gulf, we'll get some tropical weather, and maybe even a hurricane, but, I don't think we'll have a repeat of last year. I totally don't see it happening. But, you do have to wonder...who's going to get it this year? Somebody will.
0 likes   

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#6 Postby Jagno » Sun May 28, 2006 10:45 pm

Still rebuilding ourselves so we can relate to the loss of time but on a positive note....................................I can finally take a shower and sleep in a real bed and that is truly a luxery I will never take for granted again as long as I live. :lol:
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby timNms » Mon May 29, 2006 12:34 am

Sean in New Orleans wrote:Ya know...lightning rarely strikes at the exact same spot in some time. Here, in the Central Gulf, we'll get some tropical weather, and maybe even a hurricane, but, I don't think we'll have a repeat of last year. I totally don't see it happening. But, you do have to wonder...who's going to get it this year? Somebody will.

Sean, ask Florida residents about lightning striking twice in the same place :eek: . (Maybe not the exact same place, but uncomfortably close). I have relative who live about 30 minutes out of Pensacoula. They gave us some good advice on preparing for a storm and surviving afterward...didn't think about using the washing machine to hold ice...learned something new. They said it makes a good "refridgerator" for bottled water and colas.

I hope we never see another storm like Katrina, but with the way things are looking, it's quite possible that there'll be another Katrina, or Heaven forbid, something worse in the near future.
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Mon May 29, 2006 12:54 am

We'll see timNms, last time we had anything remotely close to Katrina was 40 years ago with Betsy, in New Orleans. And before that, it was 38 years, in 1927, so we'll all see how this unfolds....
0 likes   

BayouVenteux
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby BayouVenteux » Mon May 29, 2006 8:40 am

Sean in New Orleans wrote:We'll see timNms, last time we had anything remotely close to Katrina was 40 years ago with Betsy, in New Orleans. And before that, it was 38 years, in 1927, so we'll all see how this unfolds....

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but the 40 year span of hurricane misses from '65-'05 was probably the longest for New Orleans and SE Louisiana since records have been kept.

The 1947 hurricane, were it to happen today, while apparently not a Katrina-sized storm, would probably cause much greater damage than it did back then. And it was followed by yet another brush, though by a less potent storm, the very next year.

This excerpt from the Louisiana Hurricane History pages at the Lake Charles NWS website http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lch/research/lahur.php. BTW, looks like those pages are in need of some serious updating with the events of the last 5 years -- Allison through Rita -- not listed.

September 19th, 1947: Hurricane force winds first reached the Mississippi and Louisiana shores at 6 a.m. and New Orleans at 8 a.m.. Gusts to 125 m.p.h. were estimated at Moisant International Airport (highest gust measured was 112 m.p.h.) and the pressure fell to 28.57". The map to the left shows the storm making landfall at 6:30 a.m. CST on on the 19th.Hurricane force winds reached as far inland as Melville by 4 p.m.. A fifteen foot storm surge overcame the Bay St. Louis seawall. Ostrica saw an 11.5 foot surge and Shell Beach experienced an 11.2 foot storm surge. Water was 6 feet deep in Jefferson Parish. The air fields at Moisant were under 2 feet of water, closing the airport during its second year of operation. This storm demonstrated the dire need for tidal protection levees for New Orleans. Much of the city was flooded, and $100 million in damage was produced. The storm claimed 51 victims, 12 in Louisiana.

September 3rd-4th, 1948: Hurricane hits Timbalier Bay. Moisant International Airport observed 90 m.p.h. gusts. Pressure at the Huey Long Bridge in New Orleans fell to 29.21". Heavy damage was done to oil rigs and other equipment offshore Grand Isle. Crops suffered wind and rain damage. Storm surges of 5 feet occurred at Ostrica Lock and 4-5 feet along the Chandeleurs. Damage estimates were near $888 thousand. All survived the storm.

0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby timNms » Wed May 31, 2006 9:18 am

Sean in New Orleans wrote:We'll see timNms, last time we had anything remotely close to Katrina was 40 years ago with Betsy, in New Orleans. And before that, it was 38 years, in 1927, so we'll all see how this unfolds....

The last time MS had anything close to Katrina was Camille in 1969. Until Katrina, Camille was the measuring stick, if you will, that most folks in MS used to make decisions to evacuate or stay. I think that now everyone will be using Katrina as the measuring stick. Our friends who used to live in Waveland stayed at their mom's house which was about 3 or 4 blocks off the beach and at about 22 ft above sea level for Camille, but went to a hotel at 603 and 90 for Katrina. Thank God they did. Mom's house was wiped away, with only a slab and one toilet remaining. They came close to drowning at the hotel, also!

With an active next few years predicted by the experts, we can only hope that there will be no more Katrinas, Ritas or Wilmas in the gulf.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby MGC » Wed May 31, 2006 9:27 pm

Camille in 1969 struck Louisiana far eastern coast before her final landfall in Mississippi. So technically, Louisiana had a Cat-5 landfall in 1969. Luckly, Camille's circulation was much smaller than Katrina and little surge was felt on the New Orleans levee system......MGC
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby timNms » Wed May 31, 2006 10:03 pm

MGC wrote:Camille in 1969 struck Louisiana far eastern coast before her final landfall in Mississippi. So technically, Louisiana had a Cat-5 landfall in 1969. Luckly, Camille's circulation was much smaller than Katrina and little surge was felt on the New Orleans levee system......MGC

Didn't Camille's eyewall pass over the eastern coastline of LA (The area where the MS river runs into the gulf) on it's way to Pass Christian?

I never really heard much about the damage down there from either Camille or Katrina. Most news outlets have been focused on New Orleans and to a smaller degree, the MS coast.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:02 am

This type of thinking is what cost alot of people their lives. The Camille survival is what cost alot of people their lives on the MS Coast!
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby timNms » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:08 am

Lindaloo wrote:

This type of thinking is what cost alot of people their lives. The Camille survival is what cost alot of people their lives on the MS Coast!

I agree with you, Lindaloo!
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:27 pm

I don't think much of ANY who've survived Katrina, after their nightmare experiences, will be anxious to ride out a similar storm any time in the near future.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

hurricanesurvivor
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#16 Postby hurricanesurvivor » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:10 am

timNms wrote: Our friends who used to live in Waveland stayed at their mom's house which was about 3 or 4 blocks off the beach and at about 22 ft above sea level for Camille, but went to a hotel at 603 and 90 for Katrina. Thank God they did. Mom's house was wiped away, with only a slab and one toilet remaining. They came close to drowning at the hotel, also!

I think I have pictures sent to me by my cousin, taken the day of the storm at that very hotel! When you see the pic taken from the I-10 overpass at I-10 and 603, and see how high that water was, it makes the hair stand up on my neck. To think that that spot is about 6 miles inland is unbelievable!
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:23 am

it makes the hair stand up on my neck. To think that that spot is about 6 miles inland is unbelievable!

It makes me wonder that the death toll wasn't even higher than what it is/was!!

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby MSRobi911 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:26 am

A2K

In my opinion the only thing that kept our death toll down was that it happened in the day light and people could see things to hold on to or grab and float on. Also from the stories I have heard a bunch of "heroes" are out there that got in their boats in the middle of the storm and went up and down the roads and pulled people into their boats and took them to safety. From where my house was I can not imagine how much water was there and how anyone could have survived had they been down there during the storm. There is still a family of Hispanic people that have not been identified that were found about two blocks down from my house in/under the debris of a home that was not theirs. They have no idea who they are or where they came from. The phone calls that I heard on 911 while we still had power and before my husband evacuated the dispatchers because the water was up to their knees and they were around all kinds of electrical equipment still answering the telephones were just heart breaking. Whole families including 5 month old babies were on roofs and the Sheriffs Office couldn't get to them even with a "duck" I can't remember the real name of the vehicle at this time(this thanks to Trent Lott's assignment of old government equipment to the county).

I don't think anyone that went through Katrina will ever forget the nightmare and I pray that we have all learned a lesson, cause even though Camille was no lady.......Katrina was a witch with a capital B! We thought we had seen it all with Camille and I hope we don't compare the next "big one" to Katrina because if we get a closer hit or direct hit the buildings and such that were there that broke some of the water are now gone and will never return in their former state.

Don't get me wrong, people will rebuild, it just won't be the same and everything will be "up" so the water will flow underneath (well most of it anyway...my neighbor was 10 feet up and it didn't do him any good).

The strong will survive if the Lord is willing and the creek don't rise again! :) :) :) We want to rebuild, but it will be several years down the road before that can happen with the shortage of available contractors and the still unknowns of city requirements.

Mary
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:30 am

I hear, ya, Mary. Even though it's been oft repeated, outside of those of us who've been here and seen it, a large portion of the populace has no idea just how catastrophic this storm has been. You may or may not know of my off topic thread on "news" from the central Gulf... but I try to keep up on what's going on from Mobile all the way to the River Parishes and all of SE La. And I do see, to coin a great movie's title "True Grit" in those folks. Every disaster like this brings out its heroes, and there are a great many. God bless 'em all.

You're right, though... even though all these areas will "come back" in one form or another, there will be those things that'll just never be the same again. Katrina literally erased an awful lot from this area; but we've got people who are pretty determined to draw some new pictures.

A2K
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby beachbum_al » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:07 am

Katrina was a learning experience for people and I think a lot of people realize that a hurricane is nothing to play around with. Honestly, before I thought I was safe here. I live inland~not far but inland. I never thought of myself as living on the Ocean Front where I could dip my toes in the water as I walked out of my house. After seeing how far inland and how far down the Gulf Coast Katrina left her mark I really don't think I will stay for a 3 or higher. It is just too risky. When Gov Riley says to leave I am going to do it!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”