Stay or Go

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Geoff Stormcloud
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Stay or Go

#1 Postby Geoff Stormcloud » Fri May 26, 2006 1:22 pm

I was born and raised in New Orleans and so was my wife. We love our city,however, because of work we may have to leave. I have a slim chance to stay but I have two job offers. One in Memphis and one in Atlanta. What would you do?
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby skysummit » Fri May 26, 2006 1:26 pm

I already left South Louisiana once because of work. Not too long after I was gone, I realized how much I took for granted while living here. I stayed 3 years away until I was finally able to transfer back home. If you leave, remember there's no other place like it.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby TSmith274 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:44 pm

My brother just moved to Memphis. He likes it, but wants to get back home. But if you must leave, I'd think Memphis would be better. The people there and the feel of the place remind me most of New Orleans. Atlanta... I'd probably jump off a bridge. Too big, too much traffic, miles and miles of sprawl, and no soul. But to each his own.
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby skysummit » Fri May 26, 2006 1:46 pm

I've been to Atlanta many, many, MANY times. There's no way I'd move there. The traffic is HORRENDOUS. Like TSmith said, if you have a choice, and HAD to leave, I'd pick Memphis. Just a short trip back down I-55 and you're back home.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MGC » Fri May 26, 2006 4:33 pm

I left the area for a few years and ended up coming back. I missed the food, the weather and the friendly people down here.....MGC
0 likes   

zlaxier
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby zlaxier » Fri May 26, 2006 4:47 pm

It'll take a minimum of ten years for New Orleans to get back to anywhere close to the way it was. That New Orleans is dead.

I'd move on to Memphis or Atanta for your new job, and check back in on the area when you can. Just because you move, doesn't mean you can't ever move back. And if you ever do move back, New Orleans will surely be better than it is now.
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Fri May 26, 2006 10:58 pm

I turned down a very significant promotion to Dallas a few months ago and elected to stay home, here in New Orleans. I was honest with my company and they respected my decision. Happiness is more important to me than anything else and I elected to stay happy, in my hometown, as opposed to being unhappy in another city with more money. Good luck on your decision. If I had to choose between the two, I guess I'd go with Memphis.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Fri May 26, 2006 11:16 pm

That New Orleans is dead.

It's anything BUT dead! Just ask any of those of us at the NGC meetup. Yes a lot of the city is in pretty bad shape; but the city is not, and will not be "dead." For my part I tried relocating once. Won't name the place 'cause I sure wouldn't want to offend anyone; but after N'Awlins it just was NOT the same. The urban sprawl was unbelievable, traffic not only bad, but a life and death struggle in and of itself, and the food.. OMG, I wondered if they'd ever heard of "seasoning!" It took me all of three months to head back to where the heart was.

As far as your decision... anyone can give you what "they" might do; but ultimately you'll have to work that one out for yourself. If it's a big plus for you and your family, then I would think that gets highest priority. But once again... it's a decision YOU need to come to grips with. Like many have said... in time, you can always visit... or even one day come back--home!

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby TSmith274 » Sat May 27, 2006 1:07 am

Yeah, I decided to ignore the New Orleans death certificate in this thread. I'd guess that person hasn't been here since the storm. And I'm sure Geoff Stormcloud knows better than that as well.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#10 Postby Dionne » Sat May 27, 2006 6:17 am

Our daughter evacuated to Memphis. And shortly afterwards she decided to call Southhaven, Mississippi her home. Southhaven is like a suburb of Memphis. There is alot of traffic. There is alot of new construction. But alas.....she is homesick.....she misses the coastal south. I fully expect her to return soon. :ggreen:
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby skysummit » Sat May 27, 2006 8:29 am

Yea zlaxier...A2K hit the nail right on the head. Where do you live? New Orleans is definately NOT dead. It's as partying as it always was. The food is as great as it always was. So what if the eastside is still demolished, or Lakeview and the 9th ward is still in ruins. Have you ever gone to those locations for fun or R & R? Most likely not. So what if our poplution is a small percentage of what it used to be. The New Orleans that existed pre-Katrina is back and is never going away.

If I HAD to choose between Memphis and Atlanta, I'd pick Memphis. No way, No how I'd live in Atlanta....then I'd move back as soon as possible.
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Sat May 27, 2006 2:23 pm

One thing that I rarely see mentioned, but, tens of thousands of people have been moving to New Orleans and are still moving here from other cities that never lived here before Katrina (many had never even been here). They are replacing the gaps in the local economy that those that left and haven't returned left behind. I meet many of these people every day at Capital One, where I work.
0 likes   

zlaxier
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby zlaxier » Sat May 27, 2006 2:27 pm

I didn't mean New Orleans is dead. I meant that New Orleans, the old one with half a million people, was dead. A new New Orleans was created after the storm, and in many ways its better....a lot of the criminal population has disappeared for example, but apparently they are coming back based on new crime statistics.

So, it died and it got reborn into something unquestionably different. For a lot of people, the New new Orleans will have less appeal, for some a lot greater appeal with that criminal element gone. But it will never be the same.

You can't have half your city's population gone and be the same city.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sat May 27, 2006 3:05 pm

Still can't agree, zlaxier... with all due respect; what makes a city isn't its "population"; it is its "Culture."

THAT culture has never left! New Orleans IS the Crescent City, it's Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. It's the Jazz Fest, It's Mardi Gras. It's the finest cuisine this side of Paradise. It's seafood just about anytime you want it--and that seafood is cooked as only New Orleans knows how to cook it. It's the creole factor, the ambience of both the Old World and the New that few cities remotely possess. It's a Brooklyn accent in the heart of Dixie. It's the lazy Mississippi embracing its environs, and the aesthetics of many of its neighborhood like the Irish Channel, the Garden District...Uptown and Downtown. It's a place where the past co-exists with the present as can be found in very few places. New Orleans is a national port of global import and still possesses the world's oldest continuously running electric streetcars. Many things have come and gone in New Orleans throughout its nearly 300 years of existence, many changes have been made through many events be they Yellow Jack, or Hurricanes, but one thing has never changed. New Orleans is a way of life! It has always been a way of life, and it will continue to be a way of life. And THAT New Orleans is alive and well.

A2K
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby skysummit » Sat May 27, 2006 3:29 pm

A2K...I don't believe anyone could explain it better than that.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby beachbum_al » Sat May 27, 2006 9:27 pm

I have you looked to see if there is something in Mobile or Pensacola that would allow you to be close to New Orleans so you could go back and forth. New Orleans will come back. It will take time and it sounds like they are making a fast comeback. I would try to get somewhere on the coast if possible so that you can work but not too far from the city that you love!
0 likes   

HurriCat

#17 Postby HurriCat » Sun May 28, 2006 12:10 am

Memphis! Have you driven anywhere near Atlanta lately? UGH. Myself, I really want to get out of this overdeveloped hellhole (FL), but no way would I consider "Hotlanta". And I'm sorry, but living near the coast - or below sea level on the coast - just doesn't work for me. I don't need this yearly cycle of wondering if I'll spend weeks without power or lose everything, period. YES :roll: , you CAN have losses "anywhere" from tornado, flood, etc. But you can also minimize this by CHOOSING not to live in a "Tornado Alley" or known flood-plain. Just saying.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby TSmith274 » Sun May 28, 2006 4:34 am

HurriCat wrote: And I'm sorry, but living near the coast - or below sea level on the coast - just doesn't work for me. I don't need this yearly cycle of wondering if I'll spend weeks without power or lose everything, period. YES :roll: , you CAN have losses "anywhere" from tornado, flood, etc. But you can also minimize this by CHOOSING not to live in a "Tornado Alley" or known flood-plain. Just saying.

Point taken. And I certainly see where you're coming from. Let's hope that once Louisiana gets its oil and gas royalties, we can truly protect the city. I don't care how large the monstrosity has to be... just make it happen. I think it will. With this revenue stream, we can hire the best and brightest from around the world to design and construct such a thing. Should be interesting to watch.
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby skysummit » Sun May 28, 2006 8:20 am

On alocal radio show, someone came up with an idea that would help La's coastline, Florida's alligator problem, and the illegal immigrants crossing into Texas.

You dig a huge canal along the Mexico/Texas border pretty much right where the Rio Grande is. YOu take that dirt and rebuild the Louisiana coast, and you take all the alligators in Florida and stick them in the canal that way no Mexicans would try to cross! He was joking of course, but it's not a bad idea when you think about it! :cheesy:
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby bevgo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:25 am

I left NO after living there for 18 years. As much as I love coastal MS I do miss NO and it breaks my heart to see the parts of the city that were destroyed. I miss the food and the fun but living so close I can return any time I wish. I plan to take my grandson to the zoo (when it is not so hot) and back to the aquarium soon. I am so happy to see things re-opening. NO is not dead but major changes have happened. In my opinion, NO will be a boom city with reconstruction and new opportunities comming. Sometimes it takes a disaster to find the true soul of a place. NO will be better than it ever was if the corruption does not take over again. This is a great chance for improvement and change that is much needed but the heart and soul of NO is still there. 8-)
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”