more New Orleans troubles

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Camille_2_Katrina

more New Orleans troubles

#1 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Fri May 19, 2006 3:55 pm

New Orleans is paying a price for being so dependent on tourist dollars

"Angle Davis, Louisiana's secretary of Culture, Recreation and Tourism, estimates the hurricane cost Louisiana $2 billion in visitor spending. Davis says the damage does not end there. In a survey of key visitor markets, her department found that 34% of prospective visitors are less interested in visiting the state than before Katrina; 62% believe the state is less scenic; and only one in five leisure travelers were willing to schedule a trip during hurricane season, which begins June"

these facts will only hinder the rebuilding effort.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby sunny » Fri May 19, 2006 3:56 pm

Well then C2K, come on over and spend some money.
0 likes   

Camille_2_Katrina

#3 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Fri May 19, 2006 3:59 pm

too bust cleaning up here...
way too busy...
:roll:
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby sunny » Fri May 19, 2006 4:01 pm

I understand. But you DO seem very concerned about us here.....
0 likes   

Camille_2_Katrina

#5 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Fri May 19, 2006 4:10 pm

Why wouldn't I be?

It's just easier to find NO info, the media doesn't write may articles about MS...

please don't take it so personal... It's not an attack... just info.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby sunny » Fri May 19, 2006 4:12 pm

It just seems all of your info on New Orleans is on the negative side.
0 likes   

Camille_2_Katrina

#7 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Fri May 19, 2006 4:16 pm

no way... you are reading to far into my posts...

It's not personal Sunny... I know you have it just a tough over there
as we do over here...
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby sunny » Fri May 19, 2006 4:17 pm

Oh C2K, I know you guys have it rough over there. Which is why I would never try to rub your troubles in......you certainly have enough to deal with without that.
0 likes   

Camille_2_Katrina

#9 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Fri May 19, 2006 4:21 pm

is this the "Only Post Good News About Recoovery Here" area?
Do you read the papers? I'm not writing this stuff Sunny...

And why can't we see you in the "users browsing this forum" area?
are you hiding waiting to pounce on anything you don't agree with?

Again... it's not personal. I though it was interesting info. Sorry Sunny.
:roll:

here is the whole article. "New Orleans' aquarium reflects tourism's woes"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200605 ... urismswoes
Last edited by Camille_2_Katrina on Fri May 19, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby sunny » Fri May 19, 2006 4:25 pm

lol - first, I NEVER hide. So you might want to go look again.

Second, I read the papers everyday.

Third, it would be nice to see you post something positive on NO. Then it wouldn't seem like you have an agenda against us.
0 likes   

Camille_2_Katrina

#11 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Fri May 19, 2006 4:29 pm

I know the zoo is open...

That's good news. I like the Zoo in New Orleans.
That White Gator is VERY cool!
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby sunny » Fri May 19, 2006 4:32 pm

Camille_2_Katrina wrote:I know the zoo is open...

Yes, it is :D So is Red Fish Grill :lol:
0 likes   

Camille_2_Katrina

#13 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Fri May 19, 2006 4:34 pm

sunny wrote:
Camille_2_Katrina wrote:I know the zoo is open...

Yes, it is :D So is Red Fish Grill :lol:

I try to stay away from the quarter...
Too dangerous in my opinion. Too touristy too.
No good music left there either. All the Jazz guys
left that part of town a long time ago.... for the most part

Now back in the 60's and 70's... that's then the
quarter was good...

JMHO
JMHO
Last edited by Camille_2_Katrina on Fri May 19, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby sunny » Fri May 19, 2006 4:35 pm

You don't like jazz C2K?
0 likes   

Camille_2_Katrina

#15 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Fri May 19, 2006 4:35 pm

sunny wrote:You don't like jazz C2K?

No jazz left on bourbon street...
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby sunny » Fri May 19, 2006 4:37 pm

Camille_2_Katrina wrote:
sunny wrote:You don't like jazz C2K?

No jazz left on bourbon street...

Really? When were you here last? I thought I heard some last night.....
0 likes   

Camille_2_Katrina

#17 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Fri May 19, 2006 4:40 pm

couple months before the storm...
lots of AC-DC and Van Halen
way way too loud.
pretty sad.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby MGC » Fri May 19, 2006 4:48 pm

I gotta agree with C2K here. I grew up on Bourbon St. My father had a night club on Bourbon right across from Al Hirt's. It was called the Circus Club. Bourbon St was much nicer back in the 60's than it is today. But, I guess today's Bourbon St visitor would rather R&R to Jazz. I still have fond memories though and wish New Orleans a speedy and complete recovery from Katrina. New Orleans is without a doubt one of the great cities in the world........MGC
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby sunny » Fri May 19, 2006 4:50 pm

There may not be as much Jazz as there once was, but there is still Jazz played on Bourbon Street! You are right MGC, the tourists most likely woudl rather NOT hear Jazz, but us natives still enjoy it :D
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Fri May 19, 2006 4:52 pm

sunny wrote:It just seems all of your info on New Orleans is on the negative side.

I don't doubt your sincerity for a minute C2K; but as the senior 2K member, (A2K :wink: ) you may not be noticing it but to an outside observer reviewing pretty much all of your threads regarding New Orleans, Sunny is spot on. They ALL seem to be about troubles, "more troubles"... and generally a litany of all that is "bad" for New Orleans.

Now understand this, because I do LOVE the MS. Gulf Coast... beautiful beaches, lots of fun, and some of the finest people on Earth. That said, how would you feel if I were to start a series of threads like:

More bad news for MS. Gulf Coast: Crime increasing, MS-13 found in many places.

Pass Christian MAY be history... city at the crossroad!

Outlook gloomy for MS. residents....

And on and on, ad nauseum. Now aside from the litany of well-deserved posts of indignation I'd be bombarded with by MS. residents, I would never post such negativism to begin with. I WANT the coast to come back, brighter and better than ever. I've volunteered to help cleanup as a teen when Camille struck there--spent a week over around the Pass Christian/Bay St. Louis area. I've sent some of what little I can afford to projects to help restoration as it is for such historical sites as the Beauvoir House. The thing is that we're ALL in this together and when one either sits in self-pity, or just dwells on the "negative," then all one accomplishes is a self-imposed impediment to actually making progress. Ever hear of the self-fulfilling prophecy? Some of these negative threads portend that very thing when what we NEED are some upbeat, hopeful, and positive things to be optimistic about. I mean I know there's the case of the folks who see the glass half-full, or half-empty; but a lot of your threads are calling it "empty!"

As far as how hard it is to find stories about MS... that's really not true--IF you want to do the research. There are websites for all the major cities along the MS coast, and then the news outlets found in same. In my thread in Off Topic, "News from the Central Gulf" I try to put something in from all of the Katrina affected areas from around Terrebonne Parish, Eastward to the Florida Panhandle. Granted, more posts pertain to the New Orleans area if for not better reason than that a much larger section of both population and industry resides there--however I DO see that at least one or two stories EVERY DAY, are from Mississippi, or Alabama. Others are invited to post their news as well. Most of them, while obviously mentioning a lot of the devastation, at least TRY to focus on HOPE, and the drive of the folks to bring their beloved home areas back.

If you WANT to find some "Positive" stories about New Orleans, why not focus on the wonderful work of the Habitat for Humanity? Or the fact that FINALLY some areas even in the lower Ninth Ward are getting electricity, gas and phone services... or even better... the fact that businesses are NOT losing interest in New Orleans:

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/articles/index.cfm/action/view/articleID/237/typeID/1

New Orleans will host some 26,000 members of the National Association of Realtors for their 2006 Expo!... one snippet:

“It's amazing how fast the city has pulled together and the progress it has made to get things back to normal,” Stevens said. “Our annual meeting will help to provide jobs for residents to rebuild their lives and revenues for the city to restore services. We will have a wonderful conference as we celebrate the rebirth of this legendary American city.”

“We have been impressed with the thorough approach to the decision process and we are delighted with the outcome,” said Kitty Ratcliffe, Executive Vice President of the NOMCVB. “The National Association of Realtors, with its 1.2 million members, has long been a good partner with the New Orleans community. Their partnership is appreciated by us more now than ever before, the economic impact of their convention in New Orleans in November 2006 will be well over $34 million and will have a substantial impact in the rebirth of the city.”

This is NOT BAD news! This is UPBEAT... HOPEFUL!

As far as any nonsense that Louisiana is not "scenic"... hell, I won't even dignify such an ignorant statement with a reply. The state, Like Mississippi is a natural treasure of beauty. Anyone saying anything to the contrary is either guilty of tunnel vision, or just plain ignorance. JMO FWIW.

Like I said, we're all in this together... how about some upbeat and POSITIVE threads? New Orleans WILL come back!

A2K
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”