I'm Moving from New Orleans!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

micktooth
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

I'm Moving from New Orleans!

#1 Postby micktooth » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi all, I never thought that something I like to study so much, hurricanes, would change my life forever. Since I was a kid, I loved to study the weather. I am now 42 and a father of 2. As you all know, New Orleans is still devestated 6 months post Katrina. My wife and I have decided it is best for our family to move on. This was a very hard decision to make. My wife's family is here and I have a dental practice here. Our daughter has special needs and most of her doctors and therapists have not returned. This summer we will be moving to Denver, safe from any hurricane and great medical care for my daughter. I will continue to be a member of this great board. I wish all well who will be in harms way and for goodness sakes, please don't ever wishcast a storm to your neighborhood!
Dave
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:22 pm

Sad to say a lot of others from this area have made the same decision. Best to you and yours in your new home.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#3 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:35 pm

What a tough decision to make!!! I hope you can reopen a dental practice in Denver, if that is what you want to do. BRAVO for doing what you think/know is best for your family!!!! BEST OF LUCK!!!! And don't be scarce around here, even during hurricane season.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

Re: I'm Moving from New Orleans!

#4 Postby Ixolib » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:38 pm

micktooth wrote:Hi all, I never thought that something I like to study so much, hurricanes, would change my life forever. Since I was a kid, I loved to study the weather. I am now 42 and a father of 2. As you all know, New Orleans is still devestated 6 months post Katrina. My wife and I have decided it is best for our family to move on. This was a very hard decision to make. My wife's family is here and I have a dental practice here. Our daughter has special needs and most of her doctors and therapists have not returned. This summer we will be moving to Denver, safe from any hurricane and great medical care for my daughter. I will continue to be a member of this great board. I wish all well who will be in harms way and for goodness sakes, please don't ever wishcast a storm to your neighborhood!
Dave

I know exactly how you're feeling Mick... Me and my wife have also decided to move on - at least for a few years. I've been in Biloxi my whole life - all 48 years - and I too never thought that a hurricane would end up being the direct cause of me leaving. But, this place just isn't the same anymore and I don't see that improving any time soon. So, like you and yours, we are off to different shores. Good luck in Denver. Blizzards, perhaps. Hurricanes, no way!!
0 likes   

Rainband

#5 Postby Rainband » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:09 pm

Good luck dave. I echo your last statement as well.
0 likes   

Pearl River
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Pearl River » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:18 pm

Good luck. I wish you and your family the best. Just watch out for the snowstorms, which I'm sure you would rather handle :D
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Steve » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:05 am

cya

But good luck anyway.
0 likes   

T'Bonz
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby T'Bonz » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:25 am

I feel for you guys. We have nine years to retirement and if we don't get blown away before then, it'll be a good thing. :/ Sucks to have to worry every year.

As soon as we can retire, we're OUTTA HERE.
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby KatDaddy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:39 am

I wish you and your family the best of luck. The 2005 hurricane season turned the page of many lives We have all been directly and indirectly affected. I cant imagine another season similar to 2005 and know very well the Upper TX Coast will never be that lucky again. Rita came way to close to Houston-Galveston. A hundred miles more to the W would have brought incredible destruction to us. Very very scary indeed and I truley feel the pain of our friends to the East along the Gulf Coast still many months later. As a new hurricane season approaches the omnious feeling grows more and more.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Jim Cantore

#10 Postby Jim Cantore » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:19 am

best of luck, hope your fresh start becomes successful
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#11 Postby Dionne » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:31 am

You have made the right decision. We are currently struggling with the same question. Should we stay? Is it worth staying? I was just viewing the SST's in the central GOM.....already in the 80's. I'm a builder......and you would think we would be doing well financially......but it's just not happening. Our pencils are sharp, but the logistics are a nightmare. We have been going non-stop for 6 months.....and still everywhere you look....Katrina. My doctor put me on xanax and suggested a rest period. I just don't know anymore. :cry: :?:
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Ixolib » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:57 am

Dionne wrote:You have made the right decision. We are currently struggling with the same question. Should we stay? Is it worth staying? I was just viewing the SST's in the central GOM.....already in the 80's. I'm a builder......and you would think we would be doing well financially......but it's just not happening. Our pencils are sharp, but the logistics are a nightmare. We have been going non-stop for 6 months.....and still everywhere you look....Katrina. My doctor put me on xanax and suggested a rest period. I just don't know anymore. :cry: :?:

Yep - the whole "non-stop for 6 months and still everywhere you look...... Katrina" seems to be the rule of the day. Same thing here. This "recovery" (or lack thereof) is taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r, much more longer than I think most of the USA knows -- or can even comprehend...

And when you say "non-stop", that is not an exaggeration, is it??!!
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby HollynLA » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:49 am

I'm sure you feel better now having made the decision. It's tough to leave a place you've been for so long, but many people have no choice. I'm not sure New Orleans will ever be what it once was. I also cringe to think that this can happen again but it's the truth. The city is hanging by a thread so all it takes at this point is a thump to completely knock it down. Good luck with your relocation.
0 likes   

mike815
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby mike815 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:19 am

yeah i cant wait to get out of florida either good luck ill take a blizzaed anyday.
0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby dhweather » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:25 am

The lack of medical care is the biggest single concern to many here.

Only a few doctors, and this never-ending Katrina cough makes it hard.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Ixolib » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:42 am

mike815 wrote:yeah i cant wait to get out of florida either good luck ill take a blizzaed anyday.

Leaving Florida???!!! :eek: :eek:

That's right where I am headed! St. Petersburg to be exact.

They grow 'dem Redfish and Specks pretty big down that way. :lol: :lol:

I need a vacation - as in long-term...

Y'all can have the blizzards.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:16 am

I hate to read you say that ixolib. I am not going anywhere. We will be what we were. When everything is settled and people start rebuilding, things will get better and better.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby beachbum_al » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:26 am

Good Luck with your move. I have notice that a lot of people are moving away from the Coast because of last year's hurricanes. We lost two neighbors in my small neighborhood because the stress of last year's storms was just too much for them. And we were not hit like New Orleans or Mississippi towns.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby Frank P » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:13 am

I really hate to see the long time hard core Biloxi residents leaving, like Ioxlib is doing, that is very concerning... and this surprises me somewhat, but I do understand with all the frustration that we are living through .... I hope to rebuild on the beach in Biloxi as soon as possible... its incredible living here looking at the GOM every day, running on the beach, hard to believe something so beautiful can be so evil and destructive.... even in the midst of all the devastation, there is something so unique about living here..... I just hope we don't ever see something like Katrina again... I've done this twice... Camille and now Katrina... which was by far much worse.... another one like Katrina and I think perhaps I might not be able to do this again... time will tell...

good luck to all who have to move on as the result of experiencing perhaps the most destructive hurricane ever to hit the US... you are a unique class of people...
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:20 am

And when you say "non-stop", that is not an exaggeration, is it??!!

Sad to say it is, if anything, an understatement.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”