Extreme Makeover Home Edition in Sabine Pass, Tx. now

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Extreme Makeover Home Edition in Sabine Pass, Tx. now

#1 Postby southerngale » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:15 am

The Extreme Makeover Home Edition is in Sabine Pass, Texas right now helping rebuild after Rita devastated it. They're rebuilding the Sabine Assembly of God Church, the high school, and a firehouse. They couldn't just pick one house out of all those destroyed homes to rebuild so they picked things that would help the community as a whole. From another article: "We can't rebuild everyone's home," he said, so the show started with "anchor" structures in the community to help the recovery.

Most of the country doesn't even know how bad Rita was. I don't think there's an exact date set yet, but it is supposed to air sometime in April.

I think this is just wonderful!

Parts of Sabine Pass are getting a makeover
( Air Date: 2/28/2006 )

Everywhere you look nowadays, there’s a lot of construction taking place in the small city of Sabine Pass.

“What I’m seeing on t.v, just isn’t the same thing that I’m seeing here,” Paul Diemo one of the host of a national makeover show who’s working in Sabine Pass said.

The Extreme Makeover Home Edition crew began demolishing the Sabine Pass Fire house on Tuesday afternoon.

“It looks like somebody just wiped their foot, a big giant right across the land”, Diemo said standing in front of hundreds of demolition volunteers.

A short distance away, with a lot less fan fare, but jut as much determination to help is a group of volunteers working to rebuild the Sabine Assembly of God Church.

“I don’t come from a rich background. I couldn’t send money, so all I can do is give my time and I love it. I’ll do it again and again and again,” Sara Lucas said standing inside the gutted church.

Rodney Miller has been the pastor of the small congregation for 27 years and says he’s grateful this group from Pennsylvania is in town, putting the pieces of his church back together. In fact, Brother Miller, as he’s affectionately called, said his higher power told him that his church and community would be o.k.

“He said to help the community and I’ll send help, so I went and helped”, Miller said.

The crews complete work at the church and leave on Saturday. Meanwhile, the high school and fire station are set to be complete by Friday.

http://www.kbtv4.tv/news/default.asp?mo ... s&id=10635
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby southerngale » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:26 am

Interesting story...makes me realize how lucky I am to be sitting in my home. It may be damaged, but at least I'm in it!

'Better Days' - again

By: Christine Rappleye, The Enterprise 03/02/2006

The rock band Goo Goo Dolls performs in Sabine Pass on Wednesday for a concert taped for the television show ‘Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.’

SABINE PASS - With a backdrop of mangled and beached shrimp boats at sunrise Wednesday, the Goo Goo Dolls sang "Better Days" to a crowd of cheering Sabine Pass residents being filmed by cameras and directed by producers on the fringes of the gathering.

One camera mounted on a long arm swung over the crowd and dropped down to get close-ups. The designers clapped on the front row of the audience.

"Thanks for letting us share your story," Ty Pennington, host of ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," said after the last note had been played. "Don't give up."

And then everybody did it all over again.

"That's the miracle of television," said Johnny Rzeznik, the rock band's lead singer, after the first of four times they played the song. "They'll fix it in the edit."

Wednesday's early morning concert and a later shopping spree were courtesy of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," which is in Sabine Pass this week to renovate the school's auditorium and fire station. The show has other projects planned in Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida.

At the auditorium, most of the workers were involved in interior jobs, including installing seating, curtains and lights, said Adam Becker, president of Statewide Disaster Restoration, the project contractor. The work is on schedule for this afternoon's unveiling.

The outside had been repainted a dark ivory because designer Preston Sharp didn't like the maroon, Becker added.

At the fire station, the roof was finished, dirt was piled out front for the landscaping and the interior had been gutted, said Dale Trevino of the Trevino Group, that project's contractor.

While the workers in blue shirts swarmed the projects, the residents were treated to a concert, including "Better Days" and a half dozen other songs.

Kara Seymour, 24, of Sabine Pass heard her favorite song "Black Balloon," and was there at 6 a.m. when the Goo Goo Dolls were doing the sound check.

Afterward, Seymour; Hunter Plauche, 11; Marissa Berg, 9; and Marissa's mother, Scottie Berg, took pictures with Rzeznik, bass guitarist Robby Takac and drummer Mike Malini.

"It's pretty amazing to see the devastation," Rzeznik said of Hurricane Rita's handiwork after the concert. "The people here are so strong and amazing."

That was at about 7:30 a.m.

About five hours later, the Bergs were one of the 100 families who waited for about an hour to board school buses for a mysterious outing.

An awed Scottie Berg said Pennington dropped by their FEMA trailer Tuesday to ask them what they needed, filming the conversation.

"They (the show) wanted a splash of life in a FEMA trailer," she said. On Wednesday, she waited for her chance to see him again.

Pennington walked up to the buses as residents took pictures of him.

"Hello, citizens of Sabine Pass!" Pennington shouted through the megaphone during the noon shoot, as he burst off bus No. 6.

"We're taking a field trip, and hopefully it will help you a bit," he said. The residents in the shoot boarded the bus.

But then they got back off, and the bus backed up for a re-shoot.

The mysterious trip's destination turned out to be Sears at Parkdale Mall in Beaumont, and after the shoots and re-shoots of the residents getting off bus No. 7 and entering into the store, each family was given a $350 gift card.

Berg, who is the school's secretary, had mentally set aside $100 each for her, Marissa and her son, with $50 left over for the house.

Marissa had picked up some shirts and a DVD, and Scottie was contemplating getting a weed trimmer.

She wasn't the only one to pick something out from the lawn and garden section.

Cheryl and Carl Snider chose a lawn mower.

"The clovers are getting tall," Carl said of the lawn and the spot where their home stood before demolition.

Others eyed tools and garage door openers in that section.

Diane Heaselt and her husband, Daniel Hebert, 40, a crabber, were looking at pots, pans and tools. Kellie Brown, 38, picked out a deep freezer she'll put in the shed behind their trailer.

"Everything they have done is amazing," Brown said of the show.

Karen and Sam Garrison, who are retired, said they are planning to save their card so they can get a refrigerator, washer, dryer or other appliance when their gutted home is finished.

"Right now we don't have room," Karen said of the space in their trailer.

Margaret Gillette, 67, who is retired, had taken her search to lingerie.

"They said to get things that make us feel better," she said. "Nothing makes it better than silk pajamas."

http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/ ... 2588&rfi=8
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby O Town » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:54 am

They just left here. They were here about 2 weeks ago doing a home not far from my house in Altamonte Springs. They were busing 100's of people from an old K-Mart parking lot to the site to watch. I should have went. They do such great things for people who really need it. Such a great show. Glad to see they are helping out some more of the hurricane effected areas, and has plans to more along the gulf coast. :D
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby beachbum_al » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:49 pm

I love to hear stories like that
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby KatDaddy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:28 am

What a great story! Very moving indeed. Its been a very tough and extremely long recovery and I wish the best to everyone still trying to put their lives togther. I cannot even comprehend what the last 7 months or so has been like for everyone affected by the hurricanes.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#6 Postby southerngale » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:55 pm

Next Episode:
Friday, April 14, 8/7c
ABC
"After the Storm: Texas"
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition rebuilds beloved community touchstones in hurricane-ravaged Sabine Pass, Texas, including the town's only firehouse and its theatre. Rock group the Goo Goo Dolls throw a surprise concert for the town.
0 likes   

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#7 Postby BreinLa » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:06 pm

I watched it the other night when they fixed up the Little League Baseball field in Florida that was destroyed by Wilma. I cried like a baby. It hit home since both my kids played ball in our neighborhood park and would have been devestaded if that would have happened to them. So please they fixed that place up for the kids
0 likes   

Stratosphere747
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Stratosphere747 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:13 pm

Be nice to see the government contract out Extreme Makeover, Habitat for Humanity etc.. to do the rebuilding for them. They would probably do a more efficient job than what Uncle Sam and company are doing now.....
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#9 Postby southerngale » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:22 pm

Just a reminder...it's tonight!

After the Storm: Texas

Friday April 14, 2006 on ABC 8/7c

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition -- After the Storm: The team helps restore the Sabine Pass, Texas' sole firehouse and local theatre in an attempt to bring back life and hope to this town. In addition, team captain Ty Pennington takes local families on a shopping spree at a nearby Sears for much-needed necessities, and a surprise free concert for the town given by the Goo Goo Dolls.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#10 Postby southerngale » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:18 pm

I commented in the other thread, but it probably belongs here more.

It was so emotional for me...I don't know how many times my eyes teared up, and I even cried some. Ty Pennington and crew were so compassionate, like they really cared. They did an incredible job and really helped Sabine Pass. Not just structurally, but seemed to give them a real sense of hope as well.

Anyone else watch?
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Brent » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:17 pm

southerngale wrote:Anyone else watch?

Not many did it appears.

"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition -- After the Storm" was third for ABC, but drew only a 3.0/6.

I guess people are getting tired of it...
0 likes   
#neversummer

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#12 Postby southerngale » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:39 pm

Brent wrote:
southerngale wrote:Anyone else watch?

Not many did it appears.

"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition -- After the Storm" was third for ABC, but drew only a 3.0/6.

I guess people are getting tired of it...

The first real coverage of Texas...I guess so. :roll:
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby simplykristi » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:05 pm

I watched part of the first one and forgot that the others were on. GRRRR I wish they had shown it in EMHE's normal time slot on Sundays. I am a big EMHE fan.

Kristi
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:43 am

I think it's well worth the watch... my heart goes out to anyone who's endured one of these calamities.

Great story, thanks...it's a keeper!

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”