"Camille wasn't 'spit' compared to this" - Linda

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

"Camille wasn't 'spit' compared to this" - Linda

#1 Postby GalvestonDuck » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:50 am

Got a call from Linda this morning. Of course, that's a paraphrase of what she said, with an obvious edit. She's been through both, so no doubt, she knows.

She was in Mobile, in a long line waiting for gas. We talked for about 20 minutes, so that ought to tell you the length of the line! I was so happy to see that 228 area code pop up on my phone. She shared with me more stories and tears about the devastation in MS. "You all just don't know the devastation down here" and added that it's so much worse in LA. As much as we've seen on the news, I'm sorry to say she's right. I don't think we truly know the scale of devastation and despair yet...no matter how hard we try to comprehend it. And what we have seen is awful.

The death toll in her county is at least 15 now with many spray-painted markings on the homes of those who are still dead inside. So much is gone. Home, beaches, businesses, everything. There are NG troops there and Blackhawks. But there's no chaos like there is in LA.

She wanted me to tell everyone Hi and let you know she'll be back here as soon as she can. She has lots of stories and pictures to share. And she said, "Enjoy the hot showers and A/C because you just don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."

As far as the other 228'ers go, I tried them before I left for work and still can't get through. I think it's just since she was in Mobile that she was getting a good signal.
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby simplykristi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:55 am

Glad to see that post from Linda. I can't even to begin the devastation along the Gulf Coast and in LA. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with Linda and anyone else affacted by this disaster.

Kristi
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby beachbum_al » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 am

Tell Linda if she is in the Mobile area to give me a call. One of the mods have my number. I will be in and out today. I am across the bay and have power.
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

#4 Postby cajungal » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:32 am

The MS coast being only a 2 hour drive away from my home, was like a second home to me. I am so emotional everytime they show the pictures on TV. It will never be the same again. I can't believe in just a matter of hours it was all wiped out. These are people's homes and their livelihoods. It is home to my grandparents, uncle and cousin. None of us are able at this time to go to Hancock county near Picayune to go check the damage of their home. I am glad Linda is safe. And my thoughts go out to her and her family dealing with the aftermath of this awful storm. My dad and I are going to make it to MS as soon as we are allowed to, to go help out.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Brent » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:36 am

Good to hear from here... tell her to hang in there. :)
0 likes   
#neversummer

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby LAwxrgal » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:38 am

Glad to hear Linda is safe, but am very sorry to hear about her family's losses and those all around the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
0 likes   
Andrew 92/Isidore & Lili 02/Bill 03/Katrina & Rita 05/Gustav & Ike 08/Isaac 12 (flooded my house)/Harvey 17/Barry 19/Cristobal 20/Claudette 21/Ida 21 (In the Eye)
Wake me up when November ends

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”