Just picked this up off of Slashdot

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

loon
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Just picked this up off of Slashdot

#1 Postby loon » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:13 pm

Interesting blog going from NOLA. Being a sysadmin myself, I find this of course particularly interesting. They are running on a generator.

"The Interdictor, a DirectNIC crisis manager, is currently braving the madness of post-Katrina New Orleans. Server rescues, OC4 repairs and live video and audio feeds abound as he and his crew battle the odds with what seems like the entire internet at his back. 1700+ People are tracking his blog, and IRC channels are full to capacity."

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

If this has been posted already, feel free to delete.

cheers,
loon
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

Re: Just picked this up off of Slashdot

#2 Postby Houstonia » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:48 am

loon wrote:Interesting blog going from NOLA. Being a sysadmin myself, I find this of course particularly interesting. They are running on a generator.

"The Interdictor, a DirectNIC crisis manager, is currently braving the madness of post-Katrina New Orleans. Server rescues, OC4 repairs and live video and audio feeds abound as he and his crew battle the odds with what seems like the entire internet at his back. 1700+ People are tracking his blog, and IRC channels are full to capacity."

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

If this has been posted already, feel free to delete.

cheers,
loon

This is the most amazing thing I've seen since the storm started. The pictures are ... amazing. And they also should point out one very very important detail about the "refugees". Not everyone left behind in N.O. were impoverished. Don't forget about the tourists. I think a lot of the pictures posted are showing tourists. It looks like some college students stuck around too.

AMAZING - thank you SO MUCH for posting this link. I've sent it out to all my family...
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby MBismyPlayground » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:07 am

I love this guy who does this......been reading it for a few days and it shoots from the hip.....no BS. Love the pics of the cops driving the fed ex trucks and school buses.
I heard that the guard was handing out water, and then one of the reporters used to word "Kicked it out to them".......He really meant that literally, based on the pictures.....

I understand that there are some thugs out there, but that is a small group of people compared to the majority. What happened to empathy and compassion from the people doing the rescuing???

I do believe that once this part(evacuation) is over, and things become somewhat more calm, the true picture will begin to be painted.....And I think it is going to be very big and very very ugly.Not that it isn't already but.......we, the American people, are becoming more and more appalled and dismayed by the way this tragedy is being handled and are becoming more and more embarrassed by some of our elected officials. This whole situation is being watched world wide. By our friends and worse, by our enemies. These same people are watching and seeing some of the incompetence of our elected officials. If we treat our own people in this manner, yet our country judges the way they treat their own???
They have witnessed our expeditious response to those people that were effected by the tsunami, and other world wide disasters, yet we can not handle something in our own backyard.......
0 likes   

HurriCat

#4 Postby HurriCat » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:47 am

The rescuers are doing their best. I read that the choppers would try to land, but the mobs would swarm in close. This could cause trampling injuries and deaths and also likely get the chopper tilting to and fro. How many would the rotors kill before the chopper and aircrew were lost, too?

They are up against a mob "mentality", if it can be called that. If they approach with supplies, then EVERYONE wants it NOW. The only safe way for the rescuers to drop the supplies, then, just has to be to basically dump it and run.

MAYBE, if enough dump & runs are made, the mob-scene can calm down and more orderly distributions will then be made.

We can't worry about the would-a/could-a/should-a's. The rescuers are living in the moment and doing what has to be done.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”