Andrew? Katrina?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Andrew? Katrina?

#1 Postby Cookiely » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:04 pm

I was on another message board and they were talking about the number of dead and that they were not being honest about the number. Personally, I don't understand why the government would not release the correct number of dead. The person also said that Andrew was radioactive after going over a nuclear reactor and the government covered up the number of dead because of this. I have never heard this particular rumor. Have any of you heard of this before? What nuclear reactor? :roll:
0 likes   

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2 Postby Talon402 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:07 pm

Was this on Coast to Coast AM with George Noory?

Sounds like conspiracy b.s. to me.

/There would be too many leaks to try and keep a huge toll quiet.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Andrew? Katrina?

#3 Postby SouthFloridawx » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:09 pm

Cookiely wrote:I was on another message board and they were talking about the number of dead and that they were not being honest about the number. Personally, I don't understand why the government would not release the correct number of dead. The person also said that Andrew was radioactive after going over a nuclear reactor and the government covered up the number of dead because of this. I have never heard this particular rumor. Have any of you heard of this before? What nuclear reactor? :roll:

They really honestly don't know the death toll yet. They aren't going to know the total until N.O. is drained corpses collected and all along the coast people washed out to sea, all the houses in the ms, al and la coast are checked for dead. It will be months before an accurate count is made.
0 likes   

cancunkid
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby cancunkid » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:20 pm

Don't really ever see an "accurate" count being made. Too many of the people won't be looked for either because they had no family, the whole family was wiped out, they had lost contact with their families years ago, homeless. If bodies did go out to sea I think the best they can do is estimate kinda like they did with the Lake Okeechobee hurricane and Galveston.
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Canelaw99 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:21 pm

Cookiely wrote:What nuclear reactor? :roll:

We have Turkey Point Nuclear Power Plant here in S. Dade. Where I am, I'm within 5 miles of it, so that's the only thing I could think of, but I've never heard of that rumor either....

http://www.fpl.com/about/nuclear/contents/about_turkey_point.shtml
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby jasons2k » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:21 pm

re: reactor - conspiracy theory. if it were the case, people would not be moving to Homestead, Kendall, etc. today due to radioactive waste. It doesn't just go away in a week or two.
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Canelaw99 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:25 pm

Maybe THAT'S why my skin has a greenish tint? :lol: j/k
0 likes   

MKT2005

#8 Postby MKT2005 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:29 pm

The goverment has a long history of covering up death after natural disaster, no doubt thousands died from Andrew but their death was covered up. The goverment loves to point a rosy picture of everything.
0 likes   

jpigott
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby jpigott » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:31 pm

MKT2005 wrote:The goverment has a long history of covering up death after natural disaster, no doubt thousands died from Andrew but their death was covered up. The goverment loves to point a rosy picture of everything.

please substantiate with facts, not conjecture
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Cookiely » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:31 pm

Canelaw99 wrote:
Cookiely wrote:What nuclear reactor? :roll:

We have Turkey Point Nuclear Power Plant here in S. Dade. Where I am, I'm within 5 miles of it, so that's the only thing I could think of, but I've never heard of that rumor either....

http://www.fpl.com/about/nuclear/contents/about_turkey_point.shtml

Thank you for educating me. I had heard of Turkey Point but I didn't know it was in S. Dade. If anyone had asked me I would have said Ruskin? :lol:
Wasn't their a movie about a tornado and nuclear plant. Maybe that is where the rumor came from. A radioactive hurricane? Good sci fi stuff.
0 likes   

MKT2005

#11 Postby MKT2005 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:33 pm

jpigott wrote:
MKT2005 wrote:The goverment has a long history of covering up death after natural disaster, no doubt thousands died from Andrew but their death was covered up. The goverment loves to point a rosy picture of everything.

This is a fact. Eye witness report, death certificate, people who seemed to just vanish when the storm hit. This huge cover up is a fact.
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Canelaw99 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm

Cookiely wrote:Thank you for educating me.

You're very welcome ;)

Cookiely wrote:I had heard of Turkey Point but I didn't know it was in S. Dade. If anyone had asked me I would have said Ruskin? :lol:

Nope LOL it's here. The first Friday or so of every month I can hear them running the announcement test in case of an emergency. Kinda strange when I realize how close I really am, but it's a pretty safe facility, especially post-9/11.

Cookiely wrote:Wasn't their a movie about a tornado and nuclear plant. Maybe that is where the rumor came from. A radioactive hurricane? Good sci fi stuff.

Would make for a good movie! :)
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#13 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm

I've read that the estimated death toll for Galveston was anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000+ because it got to a point where they simply couldn't continue counting. Because of the heat and disease, they had to just start piling them up and burning them on pyres (no way to bury that many). It's not always a case of covering up as it is the lack of ability to get a clear estimate.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#14 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:37 pm

Cookiely wrote:Wasn't their a movie about a tornado and nuclear plant. Maybe that is where the rumor came from. A radioactive hurricane? Good sci fi stuff.

"Atomic Twister"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281617/combined
0 likes   

jpigott
Category 2
Category 2

#15 Postby jpigott » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:37 pm

MKT2005 wrote:
jpigott wrote:

This is a fact. Eye witness report, death certificate, people who seemed to just vanish when the storm hit. This huge cover up is a fact.

What is a fact? Where are the eyewitness reports? Whose death certificates are being hidden? Who was it that vanished when what storm hit? Look, to a degree i'm on your side, I think there has been some funny business with the way disasters are handled by our govt. Problem is nobody ever has any verifiable evidence to back up these claims
0 likes   

Mello1
Category 1
Category 1

#16 Postby Mello1 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:40 pm

jpigott wrote:

Well, all I can tell you is that I've read a detail and chilling account of an Andrew survivor that does not correlate with the stories that were normally told. I have also read the first hand accounts of a person who is a regular contributor to a message board that I have read over the years that happens to live in Ponta Gorda when Charlie roared thru. If their accounts are to be believed, then yes, we haven't officially been told the full story. I guess you have to ask yourself why would someone want to do something like this.
0 likes   

MKT2005

#17 Postby MKT2005 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:41 pm

jpigott wrote:
MKT2005 wrote:
jpigott wrote:

What is a fact? Where are the eyewitness reports? Whose death certificates are being hidden? Who was it that vanished when what storm hit? Look, to a degree i'm on your side, I think there has been some funny business with the way disasters are handled by our govt. Problem is nobody ever has any verifiable evidence to back up these claims

There are tens of thousands of people who lived in homestead who after the storm hit, it seemed they just vananished from the face of the earth, no record of them living anywhere after the storm hit. They stop filing taxes, children who stoped going to school, and no record of those child going to school else where. It was as if they stop exsisting, no doubt they died in the storm.
0 likes   

mahicks
Category 1
Category 1

#18 Postby mahicks » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:43 pm

MKT2005 wrote:
jpigott wrote:
MKT2005 wrote:
jpigott wrote:

There are tens of thousands of people who lived in homestead who after the storm hit, it seemed they just vananished from the face of the earth, no record of them living anywhere after the storm hit. They stop filing taxes, children who stoped going to school, and no record of those child going to school else where. It was as if they stop exsisting, no doubt they died in the storm.

10K people???

Gotta link for that or any research info?? I find this really really really really really really hard to believe.
0 likes   

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#19 Postby Talon402 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:59 pm

Yeah, its really hard to believe because its really really really really really really really really NOT TRUE.

Like I said, there's no way the gov't could have kept quiet all the volunteers, all the rescue workers, the rebuilders, etc...

It's conspiracy B.S.

Why don't have the next thread about how "George Bush flew out to the Gulf and souped up Katrina to drive up oil prices"

ITS NOT TRUE
0 likes   

BLHutch
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#20 Postby BLHutch » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:05 pm

Talon402 wrote:Why don't have the next thread about how "George Bush flew out to the Gulf and souped up Katrina to drive up oil prices"

:lol: Thanks for posting that! It is the first laugh I've had all day.

I normally don't buy into conspiracy theories. I was no where near Homestead after Andrew, but it seems like it would be very hard to keep that a secret. Think of all the different agencies involved....local police and fire, National Guard, Active Duty Military, FEMA, Red Cross, etc, etc, etc. Surely there would be more leaks about it. People typically do not keep secrets very well.

I actually read something by an Andrew survivor which actually sounded pretty incredible, but believable. He (or she, I can't recall) almost had me convinced that some type of coverup had occured. But then he/she started talking about aliens. They lost me at that point!

But seriously, I think that a coverup of that scale would be extremely difficult due to the large number of people who would have to be involved. I'm not saying that they do not happen, but I'd have to hear from a very credible source before I would personally believe it.

But that's just me. After all, I could be wrong.

Brady H.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”