Out of gas....

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Out of gas....

#1 Postby crazycajuncane » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 pm

This evening I was at the Circle K by my house talking to the station attendent and he told me that the station was almost out of gas.

I asked him, "Could I wait until the morning to fill up?"

James, "I mean... we are almost out of gas and we aren't going to recieve any shipments for at least the next week."

So I went to fill up my car and I wiped out the rest of regular unleaded... Lucky me!

I passed by the station just twenty minutes ago and all of the gas is gone.

James also told me that all Circle K, Exxon stations would be running out of gas cause no more shipments could be brought in at this time.

He did mention Walmart might continue to have gas, because they tap from somewhere else.

So we have stations running out of gas. We have 10,000 - 15,000 more residents in a city that is packed already with 100,000 people.. all hotels and apartments are full. Can the trucks catch up with the demand of gas?

I see other cities saying the same thing about running out of gas. How will we catch up to everyone? Is this going to be a big problem?
0 likes   

birdwomn
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby birdwomn » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:49 pm

Sadly, I don't think this is a problem that will be limited to those very close to the disaster area. We can only pray that it doesn't last too long.
0 likes   

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby NC George » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:50 pm

Yes, big problem. The pipelines that feed the southeast haven't been flowing since Monday due to power outages. Gov of NC suspends all non-essential governmental travel. SE Airports are in dire need ot fuel, may have to shut down because they have no fuel for planes (this include Charlotte, Atlanta, Reagan National, and Orlando.)
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby CentralFlGal » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:59 pm

I had to get gas today out of necessity. I've never waited on a line that long before (Costco, Altamonte Springs, $2.79 premium, line out to the road). Extra employees were directing the flow of traffic to the pumps.

I did my shopping of items we run out of on a regular basis as the costs of transporting these goods will inevitably rise and be tacked on to the item price. It's something to simply be expected. As I walked back to my car, they were lining up the vehicles from a different direction to allow the tanker room to get in and refill the tanks. This was around 3:30pm.

I could make a joke about how many resident RVs does it take to empty a gas station, but I have neither the motivation nor the will to do so as my extended family still doesn't know what to expect upon returning home to Long Beach, MS.
0 likes   

canejacket
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby canejacket » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:07 am

one of the BP's in Atlanta ran out of gas so I'm sure there are others. Also, prices are up as high as $3.29 for the regular stuff. I'm really glad I filled up before Katrina.
0 likes   

gatorbabe79
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby gatorbabe79 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:09 am

I wish they could get the gas out of all the cars, trucks,etc. that are abandoned or stranded. But I suppose it's all contaminated.
0 likes   

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#7 Postby NC George » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:21 am

gatorbabe79 wrote:I wish they could get the gas out of all the cars, trucks,etc. that are abandoned or stranded. But I suppose it's all contaminated.

The junkyard that eventually gets the car will take care of any remaining in the tanks (they use it in their own vehicles, yard vehicles, etc.) One of the perks of the business.
0 likes   

bp00010002
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby bp00010002 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:41 am

Out of gas - Let me tell you ....

I and my family left the new orleans area saturday and sunday. We are curently in Vicksburg, MS. My dad and I drove back down to the northshore today to check on his and my brother's houses. The trees down were incredible - but ...

Gas is unbelievably hard to find. We were continually watching our gas level in the car to make sure we could still get back to Vicksburg.

Main thing - get a gas can - they are very hard to find these days though. Fill up often when you get a chance. We waited 45 minutes today at a station. I know some lines are much longer. Big problem is no electricity also. cannot pump gas without it, and most stations dont have generators as backup, so no gas there.

Basically, good luck with the gas. It is hard to find. Just dont put yourself in a position where you run out in a bad spot. My dad and I got back with about 1/8 of the tank left, before we finally found gas again.

Fun stuff. By the way, Vicksburg is my new home for the moment, as my home in Metairie is probably ok, but we cannot live there anymore - at least for a few months.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby crazycajuncane » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:45 am

bp00010002 wrote:Out of gas - Let me tell you ....

I and my family left the new orleans area saturday and sunday. We are curently in Vicksburg, MS. My dad and I drove back down to the northshore today to check on his and my brother's houses. The trees down were incredible - but ...

Gas is unbelievably hard to find. We were continually watching our gas level in the car to make sure we could still get back to Vicksburg.

Main thing - get a gas can - they are very hard to find these days though. Fill up often when you get a chance. We waited 45 minutes today at a station. I know some lines are much longer. Big problem is no electricity also. cannot pump gas without it, and most stations dont have generators as backup, so no gas there.

Basically, good luck with the gas. It is hard to find. Just dont put yourself in a position where you run out in a bad spot. My dad and I got back with about 1/8 of the tank left, before we finally found gas again.

Fun stuff. By the way, Vicksburg is my new home for the moment, as my home in Metairie is probably ok, but we cannot live there anymore - at least for a few months.

I heard the same thing about Metaire. Several families were on the news tonight enrolling their kids in school.

The thing that bothers me is that if several cities are running low on gas, who will get gas first? My guess is none of them. Wouldn't they want to refill places like Houston and Baton Rouge for emergency vehicles.
0 likes   

iceangel
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby iceangel » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:51 am

My Aunt and Uncle drove over to Pensacola from Mobile, Ala. to get gas for the generater and car. They couldn't get any on the drive over and finally went to Wal-Mart and got some at Murphy's.
0 likes   

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#11 Postby NC George » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:55 am

Good news! One of the pipelines, the Colonial (runs from TX to NJ) is resuing operation within a few hours. The Plantation (from LA to VA) is partially open.
0 likes   

Windsong
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby Windsong » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:23 am

No gas here. Whole towns ran out yesterday. Supposed to deliver more today from what the news said. Scary times.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby gtalum » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:36 am

I'm guessing the real shortages are just a short-term effect. Gas will be available by next week, but you can bet we'll be paying for it.
0 likes   

inotherwords
Category 2
Category 2

#14 Postby inotherwords » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:41 am

Last year we had incredible shortages in FL because people used the gas up to evacuate for several storms. They could not get us more because the shipping lanes were closed due to other storms on the way.

We suffered through it for a while but the gas eventually came back.

Bush has released some of our strategic oil reserve so any shortages hopefully will be temporary, but given that a lot of the refining is in the area and that those refineries are not all operational right now, we all might see shortages and high prices for a while.

What I really fear now is that another big storm will come before the gas is back, and people won't have enough gas to evacuate.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby beachbum_al » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:12 am

There is a major gas shortage here. It is so bad that they have cancel school in Mobile and Baldwin County until further notice because they don't have the gas to run the buses. My husband works for the City of Daphne and they are having problems just coming up with gas to run the city vehicles and police cars. They are urging people to stay home if possible.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#16 Postby CajunMama » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:16 am

Stopped by the Murphy Oil at Walmart this morning. Midrange gas was $2.73/gallon. I don't know about the Shells, Texacos, Exxons.
0 likes   

Zadok
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#17 Postby Zadok » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:19 am

Surprise.

Statement Given Wednesday By Gov. Easley Concerning Gasoline Supply In North Carolina
This is not only a state problem, this is also a regional and a national problem. We are hoping that the Department of Energy will take some action as soon as possible. I have tried to get direction from DOE, but they have not yet responded.

americablog.blogspot.com/...pt-of-e...

West Virginia county police will run out of gas by Friday
by Joe in DC - 8/31/2005 08:49:00 PM

The reverberations of this just keep growing. Police without gas can't keep you safe:
The Transit Authority in Huntington, which supplies fuel to its fleet of buses, ambulances for Cabell County Emergency Services and to the Cabell County Sheriff's Department, only has enough gasoline for police cruisers until Friday, Vickie Shaffer, TTA general manager, told The Herald-Dispatch for Wednesday's edition.
What else are you folks hearing?

americablog.blogspot.com/...ginia-c...

South Carolina running out of gas too
by John in DC - 8/31/2005 07:49:00 PM

So how's that president working out for you, red staters?

americablog.blogspot.com/...rolina-...

North Carolina gas stations running dry
by John in DC - 8/31/2005 07:27:00 PM

Disaster.

A gas shortage that closed some stations and caused lines at others could last through the Labor Day weekend and beyond, Asheville city and Buncombe County officials warned at a press conference this afternoon.

It could take six days for fuel to flow as normal from the Gulf of Mexico, officials said.

Of the county’s nearly 100 gas stations, more than 20 have run dry.
And my friend Sean just called from North Carolina. He is terrified at what he's seeing. There are lines, long lines down the block, at every gas station. The local news just reported that there is no more gas coming, the stations have what they're gonna get, until next Tuesday - the supply line is gone.

This is turning into a nationwide disaster. I'm so glad Bush finally decided to return from vacation at 3pm TODAY. I hope someone made him walk all the way.

americablog.blogspot.com/...rolina-...

10 US airports in danger of being shut down because of fuel crisis, including Washington Dulles and Atlanta
by John in DC - 8/31/2005 11:38:00 PM

Airlines and oil companies are working on plans to supply jet fuel to at least ten U.S. airports that could be shut down due to a lack of jet fuel caused by refinery and pipeline shutdowns from hurricane Katrina. The airports in most jeopardy for closure include Atlanta, Charlotte, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, Orlando, Tampa, Washington Dulles and West Palm Beach.

AAG has learned that ChevronTexaco and Shell had cargoes loaded prior to the shutdowns destined for Florida ports. However, with the Colonial and Plantation pipelines shutdown due to a lost of power it could be sometime for shipments to reach airports from Atlanta to Washington D.C.

americablog.blogspot.com/...irports-..
0 likes   

Maestro
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#18 Postby Maestro » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:40 am

Zadok wrote:
Airlines and oil companies are working on plans to supply jet fuel to at least ten U.S. airports that could be shut down due to a lack of jet fuel caused by refinery and pipeline shutdowns from hurricane Katrina. The airports in most jeopardy for closure include Atlanta, Charlotte, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, Orlando, Tampa, Washington Dulles and West Palm Beach.

Funny, I live in Tampa. On the radio this morning a spokeswoman from Tampa Airport said they keep a 2 week supply on hand at all times and they are doing just fine.

The mininformation flowing as a result of this disaster is staggering.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby gtalum » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:42 am

Everyone needs to calm down. The shortgae is a temporary pinch, caused by pipeline shutdowns and the impassability of the Gulf whiel Katrina was tehre. All of this panic buying isn't helping matters.

There will be gas, but it's going to be expensive.
0 likes   

iluvseashore
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#20 Postby iluvseashore » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:54 am

Just heard that Gov. Bush of Florida say that Miami, Tampa and Tallahassee are in danger of gas shortages. My fear is that there is another storm to make everyone panic and there will be serious problems with the gas situation. I understand that this is short-term but another storm would make things very troubling.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”