Hi From The French Quarter

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

Hi From The French Quarter

#1 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:12 pm

Just thought I would stop by and say hello. I'm staying in the French Quarter in a very sound, strudy hotel on the fourth floor in a room with no windows. I have my two dogs and a friends cat with me, along with a couple of friends. We are all doing fine. There are about 50 people in this small, upscale hotel with a little under 100 rooms. I've met some very nice people from Boston, Milwaukee, Scotland, Colorado, etc. They are all stuck here and are hurricane virgins. I've drilled them on the basics, explained the devastating power of this hurricane and that this will be a once in a lifetime experience. The couple from Boston is documenting it on film since they are stuck here. I also assured them that we are in an absolutely safe, sound building. My room is so secure, I can't even use my cell phone in it. I'll check in from time to time to attempt to keep you abreast of conditions. I'm across the street from the St. Louis Cathedral and 2 blocks from the Mississippi River. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Here is where I'm staying.... http://www.placedarmes.com/
0 likes   

Fodie77
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby Fodie77 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:14 pm

Stay safe!!
0 likes   

frquarterguy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby frquarterguy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:14 pm

hope everything goes well -- keep an eye on my place :wink: -- i live in the 1100 block of Dauphine, just a few blocks from there, though we have left town -- be careful
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby PTrackerLA » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:15 pm

Wow Sean it's great to hear from you. Please be very careful over there and I hope yall are ready to stay there for many days :eek: . Try and check in every once in a while until power goes out.
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

#5 Postby cajungal » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:16 pm

Stay safe. I am not going to lie. I wanted to ride it out at my home in Terrebonne Parish. But, my parents were freaking out. And said I was evacuating with them even if they had to drag me by my hair into the car. So, here I am. So, I don't have a clue how bad it is truly going to get in the Houma area.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby crazycajuncane » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:16 pm

Party hard! I know thats what I'd be doing. We've had a few drinks here tonight in Lafayette. Great weather at the moment here.
0 likes   

NateFLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby NateFLA » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:17 pm

Stay safe!! This is the big one.

Once it's all over if it goes to the east and you can get around, check on Mothers on Poydras (401) for me :p
0 likes   

killah
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby killah » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:19 pm

Killah and Dan say hi from Bush, La. Stay safe.
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:24 pm

We are presently experiencing tropical storm conditions...winds are sustained at about 40 to 45mph. It appears from radar that we will begin to experience hurricane conditions by 2:00 AM. It's at that point that I believe we will lose power. Please know, that if you don't hear from me that I will be absolutely fine. I am in a very secure spot and there is plenty of population and officials around me. We have plenty of food, 25 gallons of water, a whole lot of ice, plenty of clean clothes, etc. When power goes out, I may not return for over a week. If anyone else is in SE Louisiana and you are not comfortable with your situation, you have less than 1 hour to find a secure, safe spot, otherwise, you will have to stay put. Good luck everyone and Godspeed. I PROMISE New Orleans will return with all of her majesty, beauty, and spirit after Katrina. I love my City, am here, am safe, and am riding it out in her heart!
0 likes   

Recurve
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Recurve » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:24 pm

Sean, I know exactly where you are.
I'm sure you know, you'll get east, north, and then west winds.
Fill up all the water you can in containers. Plumbing/drainage could be completely ruined.

I'm sure those are sturdy old building around there, but have an escape route in case floodwaters threaten to undermine the structure. I have a feeling that with strong enough winds and waves, which could happen in the quarter, the Pontalba blocks could fall. The spire of the cathedral might not be standing. Hopefully none of the structures around there will fail, but I remember once walking outside an architectural salvage firm across front the French market. There were bricks in the street, they'd been knocked from the near the top of the building by a lighning strike in a summer thunderstorm.

Sorry to sound so grim, hoping for the best for you and your friends and animals.

If the Quarter floods as bad a predicted, you may have to find a way to the levee when it's over; the river may be one of the only ways to rescue people stranded among floodwaters after the storm.
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:25 pm

killah wrote:Killah and Dan say hi from Bush, La. Stay safe.

Hey friends! Stay safe up there!!!
0 likes   

FritzPaul
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby FritzPaul » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:28 pm

Hello Sean & stay safe, Paul
0 likes   

BigO
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Location: Marietta, GA: Knows what it means to miss New Orleans...

#13 Postby BigO » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:40 pm

Hope you know how to swim, Sean! :lol:
0 likes   

Windy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Windy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:49 am

Hi, Sean! This ERC is pretty good news, eh? The less water in NOLA, the better.

Stay safe. But write your name, SS#, and next of kin on your chest with a sharpie, just in case.
0 likes   

chrisnnavarre
Category 1
Category 1

Good luck from Navarre, Florida...

#15 Postby chrisnnavarre » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:21 am

I completly understand.....it's your home....

Be safe...and God Speed....
0 likes   

Chilly_Water
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby Chilly_Water » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:33 pm

Sean, there is a report on MSNBC's Countdown about "rooftop" dwellings. There were 2 Scots interviewed. Just wondering if that was where you were staying. Some other "handyman" with his two dogs were interviewed as well. Glad to read you are alright in the other aftermath thread.
0 likes   

BamaMan
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#17 Postby BamaMan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:20 am

Hey Sean. glad to hear you are okay. Stay safe and all of our prayers are with you. Great to hear from you bro.
0 likes   

PerfectStorm
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Check posting times...Monday before/during storm

#18 Postby PerfectStorm » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:26 am

Sean has not posted since Monday this was an old post. I read this too thinking it was new but hopefully he has gotten out. Prayers are with him amongst the many many others suffering.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#19 Postby Miss Mary » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:35 am

Chilly_Water wrote:Sean, there is a report on MSNBC's Countdown about "rooftop" dwellings. There were 2 Scots interviewed. Just wondering if that was where you were staying. Some other "handyman" with his two dogs were interviewed as well. Glad to read you are alright in the other aftermath thread.

The group this Scottish couple is with and several dogs, I can't forget! Similar to the man who lost his wife, who said take care of the kids and then she let go of his hand, I can't forget either. These images will stay with me forever. The group stuck on top of that apt. building is afraid to go to street level and I can't blame them.

Sean - so relieved to know you are okay too!

Mary
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#20 Postby GalvestonDuck » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:40 am

Sean posted most recently on yesterday. Thank God we can say he made it.
http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/search.ph ... ew+Orleans
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”