I'm Moving from New Orleans!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#61 Postby sunny » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 pm

ROCK wrote:you are so right. Now there in Houston looking for handouts. Memo: to NO people Texas is not a welfare state. You got your 2k now back to work.

Is that note for all NO people? The Shell people are already coming back from Houston - where they were working.[/quote]

NO people= people who will not return to rebuild their city that they were living off of.[/quote]

That's fair - and what's more is I agree.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby ROCK » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:44 pm

CajunMama wrote:
gtalum wrote:If I were looking for work I'd be in new orleans in a heartbeat. IMHO it's truly sad that we have capable people on welfare when there's so much work to be done on the Gulf Coast.

Unfortunately some of those people don't know any better. They're government bred, government born and government raised.

Yep, raise someone to be on welfare and welfare they will stay. Sad but true. IMO, I blame the state officials that have allowed this to happen.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby TSmith274 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:13 pm

Ixolib wrote:
TSmith274 wrote:We need a cat 5 standard, coupled with coastal restoration to truly give New Orleans a chance to thrive.

Personally, I don't believe that standard can be brought into existence. I mean, what truly defines a "CAT 5 STANDARD"? Perhaps if the levees are built to a height of 50+ feet, with extreme reinforcement, around the entire area of potential impact, then a cat 5 storm might be survivable - at least in terms of surge. But anything less is just building to an unknown impact of nature, none of which has ever been experienced before.

What exactly is a "cat 5 standard"?

The money needed to study such a system was appropriated. In fact, the consolidation of our levee boards was tied to this money. Had we not consolidated, we would have lost out on this money. So, I'm sure we'll find out what a cat 5 system would look like as soon as this study is completed by the Corps of Engineers. It's going to include a real effort to restore our coast, because no levee system alone can ensure our survival. It would be an overall systematic approach, working with nature instead of against it... at least that's what they're saying. Three stages of redundant flood protection, coupled with compartmentalizing areas of the city... much like the compartmental way that an ocean-going vessel is constructed. One area of a ship springs a leak... that area is sealed off, and the ship stays afloat. Same theory with New Orleans... using existing railroad lines and highways as makeshift levees. It was part of the Bring New Orleans Back comission's presentation. It was very interesting... it's worth a look. Would it protect against a cat 5 storm? I don't think anyone really knows. But, anything is an improvement over the system we have now. Our current system is a horrible design... not just because the failed, but because there are areas of our system that act more as funnels for floodwater, such as the funnel near the MRGO and the Industrial canal. An outer ring, gently curved would serve to deflect the surge rather than catch it... to give the water a place to go, rather than trapping it and taking the brunt. There are many interesting ideas in this report... you can google it, and check out the plans put forth by the BNOB comission report.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:56 pm

sunny wrote:
Lindaloo wrote:
gtalum wrote:If I were looking for work I'd be in new orleans in a heartbeat. IMHO it's truly sad that we have capable people on welfare when there's so much work to be done on the Gulf Coast.

Sad part is they KNOW we need help but yet choose to remain on welfare.

Unfortunately there are those who feel something is owed to them. Don't know where they got that idea. There are those of us who came back to work, to live. And many of the people who came back lost everything!!

There was a councilman here who made the statement not to come back unless you were willing to work. He caught hell for that. Very sad IMO. But then I guess I'm just one of those who would rather be able to hold my head up knowing I've done what I could to help myself.

Extremely well put, Sunny!

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#65 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:57 pm

CajunMama wrote:

Unfortunately some of those people don't know any better. They're government bred, government born and government raised.

Ain't it the truth?? *Sigh*

A2K
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby Ixolib » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:48 pm

TSmith274 wrote:
Ixolib wrote:
TSmith274 wrote:We need a cat 5 standard, coupled with coastal restoration to truly give New Orleans a chance to thrive.

Personally, I don't believe that standard can be brought into existence. I mean, what truly defines a "CAT 5 STANDARD"? Perhaps if the levees are built to a height of 50+ feet, with extreme reinforcement, around the entire area of potential impact, then a cat 5 storm might be survivable - at least in terms of surge. But anything less is just building to an unknown impact of nature, none of which has ever been experienced before.

What exactly is a "cat 5 standard"?

The money needed to study such a system was appropriated. In fact, the consolidation of our levee boards was tied to this money. Had we not consolidated, we would have lost out on this money. So, I'm sure we'll find out what a cat 5 system would look like as soon as this study is completed by the Corps of Engineers. It's going to include a real effort to restore our coast, because no levee system alone can ensure our survival. It would be an overall systematic approach, working with nature instead of against it... at least that's what they're saying. Three stages of redundant flood protection, coupled with compartmentalizing areas of the city... much like the compartmental way that an ocean-going vessel is constructed. One area of a ship springs a leak... that area is sealed off, and the ship stays afloat. Same theory with New Orleans... using existing railroad lines and highways as makeshift levees. It was part of the Bring New Orleans Back comission's presentation. It was very interesting... it's worth a look. Would it protect against a cat 5 storm? I don't think anyone really knows. But, anything is an improvement over the system we have now. Our current system is a horrible design... not just because the failed, but because there are areas of our system that act more as funnels for floodwater, such as the funnel near the MRGO and the Industrial canal. An outer ring, gently curved would serve to deflect the surge rather than catch it... to give the water a place to go, rather than trapping it and taking the brunt. There are many interesting ideas in this report... you can google it, and check out the plans put forth by the BNOB comission report.

Thanks for the Google advice, T. Speaking of the MRGO, rumor has/had it that it was going to be permanently closed. What's the status there?
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:13 pm

Thanks for the Google advice, T. Speaking of the MRGO, rumor has/had it that it was going to be permanently closed. What's the status there?

God, I HOPE so! :grr:

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:41 pm

You want to know what is really great...there is a local outcry and now, it's starting from the federal level. They are going to have to work, now, to live in public housing. There is a law on the books that says you must work 40 hours a week to live in public housing. It appears they are going to start enforcing that in New Orleans, pretty soon. Look, even the public officials know the crime and drugs that come out of those projects and they are going to fight it tooth and nail if these people think they will be allowed to bring it back into this city.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby ROCK » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:44 pm

Sean in New Orleans wrote:You want to know what is really great...there is a local outcry and now, it's starting from the federal level. They are going to have to work, now, to live in public housing. There is a law on the books that says you must work 40 hours a week to live in public housing. It appears they are going to start enforcing that in New Orleans, pretty soon. Look, even the public officials know the crime and drugs that come out of those projects and they are going to fight it tooth and nail if these people think they will be allowed to bring it back into this city.

good for you guys. Now if you could only get the people to come back.... :D
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby TSmith274 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:36 am

Sean in New Orleans wrote:You want to know what is really great...there is a local outcry and now, it's starting from the federal level. They are going to have to work, now, to live in public housing. There is a law on the books that says you must work 40 hours a week to live in public housing. It appears they are going to start enforcing that in New Orleans, pretty soon. Look, even the public officials know the crime and drugs that come out of those projects and they are going to fight it tooth and nail if these people think they will be allowed to bring it back into this city.

Hah... yeah I saw that. The HUD director was pretty adamant about it too. I never thought I'd see the day.

As for the MRGO, there are currently no plans to close it, but it is being pursued aggressively by local officials. Dredging of the MRGO has been halted until more... you guessed it... studies are done. It's a wait and see on the MRGO.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby Ixolib » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:56 am

Is the Desire Housing Project still there, and if so, did it go under?? Took a wrong turn one day (understatement) in N.O. and ended up right smack in the middle ot that area. Kinda interesting, to say the least... :eek:
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby sunny » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:36 am

ROCK wrote:

good for you guys. Now if you could only get the people to come back.... :D

dey don't wanna do dat!

All joking aside, those of us that want to work and help bebuild our city, the majority are already back. But as we've said before, you have those who think they should be given a free ride. If that free ride is over here, they'll look for another place to get that free ride.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#73 Postby CajunMama » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:30 am

Back to micktooth and his move....I wish you and your family the best of luck.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby Ixolib » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:32 am

CajunMama wrote:Back to micktooth and his move....I wish you and your family the best of luck.

Good point... :wink:

But it is interesting how a certain post can lead off in so many different directions in the blink of an eye!! :D
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#75 Postby skysummit » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:59 am

There must be THOUSANDS of jobs available now. Most of them also have a bonus from 100 - 500 a week, to a couple thousand dollar signing bonus. It's nuts! If these people who come back want to continue living off the state and off of those who the feel "owe" them, LEAVE...just leave. Stores and businesses are still not open regular hours because they don't have enough workers.

Anyone looking for work??? Come to south La.!
0 likes   

Camille_2_Katrina

#76 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 pm

We, my wife, 2 year old daugter... and one on the way (baby boy) are going
to hang in there... Still no ac or heat in the office building....
but we are up and running.... we're here to stay... and help.
0 likes   

Camille_2_Katrina

#77 Postby Camille_2_Katrina » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:12 pm

skysummit wrote:Anyone looking for work??? Come to south La.!

or south mississippi...
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#78 Postby Dionne » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:10 am

There is absolutely no reason to be in south Mississippi or Louisiana and NOT be working. Work is everywhere. Unfortunately alot of the workers arriving cannot pass a drug screen. So guys......get sober for a month before you come here.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby sunny » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:22 am

Dionne, have you guys heard anything about MS13 being in south Mississippi? They have arrested quite a few of them here :eek:
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:04 am

Now that's a scary thought... but to tell the truthe, ever since the influx of migrant workers, I've got to say the possibility has entered my mind. Oh, well, Lord knows New Orleans has had more than it's dealings with the underworld what with it's Mafioso connects et. al.

A2K
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”