I'm Moving from New Orleans!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#41 Postby terstorm1012 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:23 pm

I hope that your area comes back. I have considered moving down there myself, almost like the siren song HurryKane has described. Jobs and transit are the only real reasons i've stayed put where I am. There aren't many areas of this nation that have such a rich cultural history that the Gulf Coast states have.
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:34 pm

terstorm1012 wrote:I hope that your area comes back. I have considered moving down there myself, almost like the siren song HurryKane has described. Jobs and transit are the only real reasons i've stayed put where I am. There aren't many areas of this nation that have such a rich cultural history that the Gulf Coast states have.

There are more jobs down here than we know what to do with...we are dying for more people to move here...my company, alone, has over 1,000 positions available in New Orleans, alone!
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:49 pm

Sean in New Orleans wrote:
terstorm1012 wrote:I hope that your area comes back. I have considered moving down there myself, almost like the siren song HurryKane has described. Jobs and transit are the only real reasons i've stayed put where I am. There aren't many areas of this nation that have such a rich cultural history that the Gulf Coast states have.

There are more jobs down here than we know what to do with...we are dying for more people to move here...my company, alone, has over 1,000 positions available in New Orleans, alone!

That's great, Sean; but is there adequate housing available for those folks looking for those jobs? I mean that sincerely as a lot of the folks who can't live in New Orleans right now due to the damage, are swelling up the outlying areas of suburbia and housing is really at a premium--a very expensive premium.

And BTW... what kind of business is your company looking for employees in? --if it's not prying too much--just curious.

A2K
0 likes   

micktooth
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby micktooth » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:53 pm

I think everyone is entitled to their choices and opinions. Like I said, it was a very difficult decision for our family. Yes, my dental practice is doing well and I am thankful that I am able to sell it. My family and I came back from Texas in October and tried valiantly to get our lives back to normal. Unfortunately for us, it just wasn't happening. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions in life. I want this city to thrive and do well and I encourage all who want to come here and stay here to help New Orleans in its recovery. Unfortunately, with my family's circumstances, we cannot be a part of it. For anyone living here, or who has been here recently, it is obvious that it will take several years for New Orleans to fully recover. That is baring another hurricane. I wish all of you who stay good luck and keep up the hard work. Remember, don't judge others on their individual actions to the storm. It has effected over 1 million people in different ways. You should not think more or less of someone due to their decisions.
Dave
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby ROCK » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:10 pm

But seriously what family would move into a city that is below sea level and put themselves at risk again? Unless they move the city north or raise it, people will always see the levees and wonder if they will hold for another season. We don't even know if 06 will finish what Katrina started.
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:50 am

ROCK wrote:

But seriously what family would move into a city that is below sea level and put themselves at risk again? Unless they move the city north or raise it, people will always see the levees and wonder if they will hold for another season. We don't even know if 06 will finish what Katrina started.

You'd be surprised how many people are moving here. We're building new levees and state of the art flood protection, as well. We're expecting a larger metro population in 2010 than we recorded in 2000, so, obviously, many are moving here and/or coming back.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:00 am

You'd be surprised how many people are moving here. We're building new levees and state of the art flood protection, as well. We're expecting a larger metro population in 2010 than we recorded in 2000, so, obviously, many are moving here and/or coming back.

I'd love to agree with you on that one, Sean; but most demographers feel that the population of New Orleans as late as 2008 (and that's only 2 years from that 2010 census) will STILL be barely 250,000... that's a LONG way from half a million.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby TSmith274 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:30 am

Sean, honestly... where are you getting this? Adding a parish to the metro area isn't real recovery. It will mask what will really be happening here. While I agree that Jefferson and St. Tammany are going to grow... Orleans will shrink drastically. And as far as your assertion that we are "building new levees and state of the art flood protection"... I beg to differ. The levees are supposedly being brought up to cat 3. The armoring of the levees isn't going to happen until congress approves the $1.5 billion it's going to take to do it. And where is the state of the art flood protection? Is that the cat 3 levees that you are referring to, when there are 5 categories in the Saffir-Simpson scale? Is it the "T-wall" design being used to repair the breach in the Industrial Canal floodwall? Guess what... the T-wall will only be in the areas that breached. The rest of the Industrial Canal wall will be the old "I-wall" design... the same design that failed during Katrina... untouched and not improved. That IS NOT enough. We need a cat 5 standard, coupled with coastal restoration to truly give New Orleans a chance to thrive. Where's the $14 billion needed for coastal restoration? Where's the extra $11 billion needed for cat 5 levees? See what I'm saying?

I too share your optimism about New Orleans. That's why I'm staying. But let's get real here. We haven't recieved what we need to survive. Will we? Who knows... but it will start with us holding our elected officials accountable... both here and in Washington... knowing when we are being lied to... knowing when we are being mislead... and knowing sub-standard hurricane protection when we see it, and demanding more. Not buying into promises or pie-in-the-sky levee protection studies. We shouldn't rest until dirt is being moved toward the goal of cat 5 protection for the entire area... and it isn't happening yet.
0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby terstorm1012 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:33 am

he is talking more about the suburban population then the city proper it seems...it also seems the Census may redesignate the metropolitan statistical area.

if anything Katrina may have exacerbated suburban sprawl on the northern shore of the lake, not sure if it was a problem before in that area like it is in so many others. In the end years from now you may end up with sprawl, then the lake, then green space turned back into swamp (Lakeview and those neighborhoods), then New Orleans.

When I talk about moving down there, I mean into Orleans Parish itself, into the actual city, suburbia has never agreed with me ;-) even though I grew up in it. :cheesy:

PM me about the job positions though.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#50 Postby Dionne » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:19 am

Audrey2Katrina wrote: And when you say "non-stop", that is not an exaggeration, is it??!!

Sad to say it is, if anything, an understatement.

A2K

We have been working (7) twelves since August 30. Men that need a few days off......go ahead and take some time. Two men have been injured during demolition. A number of men have come and worked several months and then left. It is not enjoyable work. We could do alot better if the Feds would relax a portion of the federal witholdings as an incentive to keep men down here.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby Ixolib » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:07 am

TSmith274 wrote:We need a cat 5 standard, coupled with coastal restoration to truly give New Orleans a chance to thrive.

Personally, I don't believe that standard can be brought into existence. I mean, what truly defines a "CAT 5 STANDARD"? Perhaps if the levees are built to a height of 50+ feet, with extreme reinforcement, around the entire area of potential impact, then a cat 5 storm might be survivable - at least in terms of surge. But anything less is just building to an unknown impact of nature, none of which has ever been experienced before.

What exactly is a "cat 5 standard"?
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:05 am

It will be at least 10 years before Orleans Parish reaches pre-Katrina levels. We will be just over 350,000 for the 2010 census according to most estimates I've come across.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby gtalum » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:08 am

If I were looking for work I'd be in new orleans in a heartbeat. IMHO it's truly sad that we have capable people on welfare when there's so much work to be done on the Gulf Coast.
0 likes   

stormcrow
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#54 Postby stormcrow » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:24 am

Build all the levees you want spend billions BUT, if they don't start to restore the wet lands (lot more action and a lot less talk) and deal with the MRGO soon, the french quarter will have a direct view of the gulf. There are many down here who realize what is needed, unfortunately few are politicians.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:44 am

gtalum wrote:If I were looking for work I'd be in new orleans in a heartbeat. IMHO it's truly sad that we have capable people on welfare when there's so much work to be done on the Gulf Coast.

Sad part is they KNOW we need help but yet choose to remain on welfare.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby sunny » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:47 am

Lindaloo wrote:
gtalum wrote:If I were looking for work I'd be in new orleans in a heartbeat. IMHO it's truly sad that we have capable people on welfare when there's so much work to be done on the Gulf Coast.

Unfortunately there are those who feel something is owed to them. Don't know where they got that idea. There are those of us who came back to work, to live. And many of the people who came back lost everything!!

There was a councilman here who made the statement not to come back unless you were willing to work. He caught hell for that. Very sad IMO. But then I guess I'm just one of those who would rather be able to hold my head up knowing I've done what I could to help myself.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby ROCK » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:12 am

Lindaloo wrote:

you are so right. Now there in Houston looking for handouts. Memo: to NO people Texas is not a welfare state. You got your 2k now back to work.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby sunny » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:13 am

ROCK wrote:
Lindaloo wrote:

you are so right. Now there in Houston looking for handouts. Memo: to NO people Texas is not a welfare state. You got your 2k now back to work.

Is that note for all NO people? The Shell people are already coming back from Houston - where they were working.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#59 Postby CajunMama » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:39 am

Unfortunately some of those people don't know any better. They're government bred, government born and government raised.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby ROCK » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:41 pm

sunny wrote:
ROCK wrote:
Lindaloo wrote:

Is that note for all NO people? The Shell people are already coming back from Houston - where they were working.

NO people= people who will not return to rebuild their city that they were living off of.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”