Federal help still not here!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

stormcrow
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#41 Postby stormcrow » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:02 am

I meet some Catholic high school kids from New Mexico while in a poor neighborhood in the Caroltown area of NOLA. They had gutted three houses during their spring break.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby Lindaloo » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:25 am

bevgo wrote:I met a 92 y/o man in Pascagoula that gutted his home alone. No one is waiting for the government here. In the NO area I have not been able to find a contractor or roofer to even give me an estimate on repairs to my home. Looks like, at the age of 50, I will be on my roof myself and replacing my own siding. I had minimal damage and all the contractors want the big jobs right now.

Living here on the MS gulf coast I see things happening daily. Pascagoula was hit hard but folks don't hear those stories very often. I see it daily. It is really sad.

I was in NO this week to see my MD. He lost his home--only slab left--had no flood insurance and all the damage is from flood. At least he has the resources to make it back. The elderly don't have that and are really struggling now. Thank God for all the church groups that have come to help. They are angels sent from heaven.

You are so correct! You do what you gotta do when you gotta do it. My Dad is 76 and is doing his alone, although my husband fixed the roof on the home they are living in. I help out on the weekends. My Mother has her yard back in shape.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”