WLOX Biloxi Streaming Video Katrina 6 mnths later 02/27/2006

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#21 Postby Ixolib » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:17 am

MSRobi911 wrote:Margie,

I don't know who the heck you are and have never seen you post before, but I do not appreciate your attitude toward my post. I rode out the storm in the Jackson County Courthouse directly opposite of the Jackson County EOC and personally spoke with Butch Loper. I know this man personally and sat in his office and laid on a cot, one of several that he had in his office and rested in his office, before, during and after the storm!!!

The Jackson County Courthouse is about 2 miles from the beach, now you are only saying that on the beach itself the "storm surge" was only approximately 1 foot above that???? for it to go inland 2 miles and still be at 16.7 feet at the EOC???

I am not a professional, nor do I claim to have the knowledge that you evidently do, but I know what I lived through and I know that I did not have a house left when I came home, only a slab and yes it was and is my decision to live here. I know the water went all the way up into Pinecrest as my In-Laws live in Pinecrest and they had 3 feet of water in their home. I know that it went all the way up hospital road to the railroad tracks because I work for a physician that our office is located only a few hundred yards from the railroad track, so don't try and tell me something I know for a fact.

The information that I quoted came from Butch Loper through my husband who is the Major with the Jackson County Sheriffs Department. And excuse me if you knew anything about Jackson County/Pascagoula you would know that we have gone through Catagory I, II and III storms and NEVER flooded like with Katrina.

I know what I look at everyday I walk out of my trailer and I know what happened to my home town and to my home, so don't try to tell me something that you have no idea about. Were you here???? Did you lose anything because of Katrina????

Nobody wants to hear your BS and I certainly am in no mood to put up with it.

I may get kicked off here and banned for life, but lady, you got some big cohonas(sp)!

Now that I have showed my behind I will step down off my soap box.

Thank you!

Mary

Hooooo Rahhhhhh!! I'll second that. There are, now-a-days, a few "members??" of this board who continually post in this manner. It is too bad the good old days of S2K are seemingly fading into the past. One particular Mod has assured me, however, that "this type of behavior is being monitored". I'm remaining hopeful that is indeed the case...

Here's some confirmation that at least one of them is seeing the same thing we are... :wink: :wink:
Margie, where are you getting your information from? You are disagreeing with people that lived through it and are living it now I don't think they have any reason to exaggerate the numbers. You are obviously more knowledgeable about the "technical" terms involved, but when most people think of surge they do think of the highest level reached. Maybe a little less of a "know it better than you" attitude is in order here? JMHO

I have also seen the numbers they are stating. don't know how official they were though.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:57 am

Margie... there are 30 foot tall Oaks on the beach. ALL of them were brown from saltwater. Can you PLEASE explain that to me? Also can you explain why a well known doctor stated he left his beachfront home because the waves were going out instead of in?
0 likes   

f5
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby f5 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:37 am

Margie are you an OFFICAL oceanographer or a NOAA/NHC storm surge expert most imporantly were you there when it happen people clinging for dear life on top of pine trees
0 likes   

sdm8309
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#24 Postby sdm8309 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:54 pm

Well, I work for a shipyard in Pascagoula which is located to the east of front beach pascagoula and the storm surge was approx 18ft.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:21 pm

Your source? And the shipyard is Northrop Grumman.
0 likes   

sdm8309
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#26 Postby sdm8309 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:01 am

My source is VT Halter Marine which sits to the east of front beach pascagoula. Also sits next to Signal International. The main office sits on a hill which is 10 ft above ground and the ground is 6ft abover sea level. We had about a 2ft of water in the office. Northrop sits to the west front beach where trent lott home is located.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:11 am

That is odd sdm because according to reports (official, not Margie's) that area saw well over 25 feet of water. Also, Chevron is in that area and they went under water, even in Georges.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Ixolib » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:35 pm

Lindaloo wrote:...(official, not Margie's)

:D
0 likes   

sdm8309
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#29 Postby sdm8309 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:50 am

I have no reason to lie. I have live all my life on the coast and been through every hurricane and tropical storm since 1967. Official or not, the surge was 18 ft at my location. If we would have had a 27-30 ft surge in pascagoula, all homes south of ingalls would have been completely destroyed. Heck, most of eveything would have been gone south of hwy 90.

This is where signal is located

http://www.fema.gov/hazards/floods/reco ... ms-g37.pdf

This is were vt is located.

http://www.fema.gov/hazards/floods/reco ... ms-h37.pdf
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Lindaloo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:18 am

sdm8309 wrote:I have no reason to lie. I have live all my life on the coast and been through every hurricane and tropical storm since 1967. Official or not, the surge was 18 ft at my location. If we would have had a 27-30 ft surge in pascagoula, all homes south of ingalls would have been completely destroyed. Heck, most of eveything would have been gone south of hwy 90.

This is where signal is located

http://www.fema.gov/hazards/floods/reco ... ms-g37.pdf

This is were vt is located.

http://www.fema.gov/hazards/floods/reco ... ms-h37.pdf

The beach front actually saw that. Have you toured Pascagoula? You are not factoring in the waves on top of the surge. Have you been to Bayou La Batre or Dauphin Island? Well then be thankful the surge was only 18 feet (if ya feel that way) because you still have a job.

I have also lived here all my life and been through 'em all even though I was a toddler when Camille blew through. I actually know a few supervisors at Halter.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Ixolib » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:13 pm

Lindaloo wrote:The beach front actually saw that. Have you toured Pascagoula? You are not factoring in the waves on top of the surge. Have you been to Bayou La Batre or Dauphin Island? Well then be thankful the surge was only 18 feet (if ya feel that way) because you still have a job.

I have also lived here all my life and been through 'em all even though I was a toddler when Camille blew through. I actually know a few supervisors at Halter.

Same situation here in my neighborhood with the "mapped" surge compared to the "real" surge. Two different sets of results. Reality - at least in my case - surely speaks louder than charts, graphs, and maps...
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:42 pm

Ixolib wrote:Same situation here in my neighborhood with the "mapped" surge compared to the "real" surge. Two different sets of results. Reality - at least in my case - surely speaks louder than charts, graphs, and maps...

And they all said:

AMEN

A2K
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby Lindaloo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:43 pm

Exactly Ixolib.
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:45 pm

All I can say is that it is truly amazing, and humbling, to see the power of water! What a terrible mess was left behind by Katrina's rampaging surge. Most people think of the wind when they hear the word "Hurricane", but the wind is number three in terms of causing death and destruction after storm surge, and inland flooding. As they say the wind gets the attention, but the water tends to kill and destroy.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:31 pm

Sadly, that's all too true... what is really needed is a "scale" on which one could reliably estimate surge... I know..extremely difficult--who could've predicted Katrina's? At any rate... that would be a far greater indicator of danger to person and property than a wind scale--at least along the coastal areas first hit.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#36 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:39 pm

Part of th eproblem in discussing the surge is indeed the different parts of the "surge" that some have been referring to. At least that is what I have figured out in my mind reading through all of this. The maps of the Pascagoula area that were posted showed all sorts of things including 3 foot wave limits etc. To any layperson surge includes the waves on top of th etide on top of the actual surge, etc. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU CALL IT TECHNICALLY. IT ALL DESTROYS LIVES AND PROPERTIES!!!! I know I saw no seperation of those different zones in any of the many videos of the surge I have seen and they all were quite destructive. I could care less what portion of the surge destroyed my property if I had that probelm. Surge to the layperson is ALL OF IT!!!
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:45 am

vbhoutex wrote:Part of th eproblem in discussing the surge is indeed the different parts of the "surge" that some have been referring to. At least that is what I have figured out in my mind reading through all of this. The maps of the Pascagoula area that were posted showed all sorts of things including 3 foot wave limits etc. To any layperson surge includes the waves on top of th etide on top of the actual surge, etc. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU CALL IT TECHNICALLY. IT ALL DESTROYS LIVES AND PROPERTIES!!!! I know I saw no seperation of those different zones in any of the many videos of the surge I have seen and they all were quite destructive. I could care less what portion of the surge destroyed my property if I had that probelm. Surge to the layperson is ALL OF IT!!!

Well said David.
0 likes   

f5
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby f5 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:15 pm

what did Waveland recieve?that town is gone
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Ixolib » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:43 pm

Lindaloo wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:Part of th eproblem in discussing the surge is indeed the different parts of the "surge" that some have been referring to. At least that is what I have figured out in my mind reading through all of this. The maps of the Pascagoula area that were posted showed all sorts of things including 3 foot wave limits etc. To any layperson surge includes the waves on top of th etide on top of the actual surge, etc. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU CALL IT TECHNICALLY. IT ALL DESTROYS LIVES AND PROPERTIES!!!! I know I saw no seperation of those different zones in any of the many videos of the surge I have seen and they all were quite destructive. I could care less what portion of the surge destroyed my property if I had that probelm. Surge to the layperson is ALL OF IT!!!

Well said David.

:uarrow: :uarrow: Ditto!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW, if Katrina had come in at "LOW" tide, I would have faired much better. As it was, a lot got wet, muddy, and eventually moldy that otherwise wouldn't have... As it turned out, 2 feet LESS water in the house would have been a blessing...

Tide, it seems, also adds a bit of confusion to the whole "surge mix" as has been brought up in the Tropical Forum by Ortt and others.

0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby bevgo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:10 pm

You go Mary. I spend most of my day in Pascagoula looking for patients. I am stunned daily with the stories of people 3 and 4 blocks away from water that had 3-4 feet of water in their homes. I have driven along Washington many, many days and have seen the total devastation. You were there when it happened and I have spent a lot of time there since. 16 - 17 feet! NO WAY!!!!!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”