Out of gas....

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

aquaholic901
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#21 Postby aquaholic901 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:14 am

Stations just east of Tampa where I'm at are running out. Down to premium only at $3.05+.
0 likes   

Zadok
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#22 Postby Zadok » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:56 am

Local Trucking Companies Facing Gas Shortage
Jon Hardison

Prices aren't the only concern when it comes to gasoline, supply is quickly becoming an issue.

Sunshine Trucking Company in Bowling Green says its drivers are now limited to only $50 worth of gas at most major truck stops, which is slowing down their deliveries and costing thousands a day in lost business.

"Sometimes you might get one to get 350, but you're talking somewhere between 300 and 350 miles. And if you go down the road and the next place is out, you're just sitting you're messed up for good," said David Etheridge, a dispatcher for Sunshine Trucking.

Sunshine Trucking and several other local companies have offered a truck and driver to bring relief supplies to the coast, but they say it will be at least next week before they can reach those in need.

http://www.wbko.com/news/headlines/1713661.html
0 likes   

beenthru6
Category 1
Category 1

#23 Postby beenthru6 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:58 am

The dominoes are falling quickly.
0 likes   

melhow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby melhow » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:58 am

aquaholic901 wrote:Stations just east of Tampa where I'm at are running out. Down to premium only at $3.05+.

I'm from Largo (Clearwater) and I am in Jacksonville till tomorrow on business. I drove. If you don't mind, any word on counties west of you, Pinellas in particular? Just wondering what I'm in for.
0 likes   

cjrciadt
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby cjrciadt » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:00 am

Gas supplies are very low in Orlando, and here closer to home in Kissimmee only getting worse.
0 likes   

Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Swimdude » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:30 am

When I got home from my clarinet lesson at 8:30 yesterday, the gas price at the station nearby [Shell] was $2.89... When I left the house at 6:45 this morning, it was $3.05... Krogers was $3.28. Again, this is for regular.

*Sigh*
0 likes   

cinlfla
Category 2
Category 2

#27 Postby cinlfla » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:05 pm

Gas supplies are very low in Orlando, and here closer to home in Kissimmee only getting worse.

Same here over on the coast, I got gas in Titusville there was only Premium gas available and I paid 3.69 a gallon for it. Thank god I drive a Hyundi.
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby alicia-w » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:39 pm

Officials in Mobile County are asking service station operators/retailers and motorist to volunteer to limit gasoline usage/purchase in the area.

Residents are being asked to limit themselves to 20 gallons a day. There is a tremendous safety issue and traffic problem with the amount of vehicles lined up at local service stations.

We ask that everyone please be patient and courteous during this time.

By volunteering to limit purchase we feel this will help eliminate the traffic problems and free up law enforcement officers to tend to other more important issues.

http://www.wkrg.com
0 likes   

Zadok
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#29 Postby Zadok » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:11 pm

Gov. Mike Easley Statement On N.C. Gasoline Supply

Statement Given Wednesday By Gov. Easley Concerning Gasoline Supply In North Carolina

The two major pipelines that furnish gasoline to many states, including North Carolina, have been affected by Hurricane Katrina and are currently without electricity. They service North Carolina and 8-10 other states.
90 percent of our gas comes from these pipelines and right now they are not operational.
Suppliers generally have a week or so of supply. They have been shut down since the hurricane.
The pipelines need electric supply and the refineries that produce gasoline need to make urgent repairs also are without electricity.
The refineries that produce gasoline need to make urgent repairs.
Consequently, we do not know the extent of the problem, but we do know that there will be a signifcant loss of gasoline in the Southeast, at least in the short term, until the electricity is restored.
This is not only a state problem, this is also a regional and a national problem. We are hoping that the Department of Energy will take some action as soon as possible. I have tried to get direction from DOE, but they have not yet responded.
In the meantime, I am asking all North Carolinians to conserve gas. Some stations are already out.Wait for more information before making Labor Day travel plans.
We are taking steps to ensure that emergency vehicles have the supplies that they need, police, fire and rescue.
I am immediately suspending all non-essential state government travel. I am asking state employees to carpool wherever possible.
I am also asking all our citizens to be smart about their fuel consumption.
I am asking them to carpool if they can and to limit non-essential road trips.
We are not out of gas, but we are running low.
We must take steps to conserve our resources while we learn the full extent of the problems and while Washington works toward a regional and national strategy.
With careful use of precious fuel, consumers can help us weather this latest storm.
North Carolina understands hurricanes. We have been through them and we know that we will weather this one as we have in the past. We know they cause distruption. We just need to know as much as we can and plan.
http://www.wral.com/news/4921679/detail.html
0 likes   

tracyswfla
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby tracyswfla » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:27 pm

This is concerning. What if there is another storm that people need to evac for! Desperate times!
0 likes   

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#31 Postby Talon402 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:32 pm

cjrciadt wrote:Gas supplies are very low in Orlando, and here closer to home in Kissimmee only getting worse.

970 WFLA out of Tampa just reported that Gov. Bush said Florida has enough gas to last through the Labor Day weekend, but that isolated shortages map develop.
0 likes   

birdwomn
Category 1
Category 1

#32 Postby birdwomn » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:36 pm

melhow wrote:
I'm from Largo (Clearwater) and I am in Jacksonville till tomorrow on business. I drove. If you don't mind, any word on counties west of you, Pinellas in particular? Just wondering what I'm in for.

The price was $2.73 and $3.05 at my local station in north Pinellas yesterday. They were running low on regular.
0 likes   

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#33 Postby Talon402 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:40 pm

Hopefully, with the relaxation of those EPA standards, volume will increase because the refineries don't have to produce all those different blends for different metropolitan areas. i.e., Chicago has one blend, San Fran has another, Atlanta another, etc.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby MBismyPlayground » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:40 pm

Zadok wrote:Gov. Mike Easley Statement On N.C. Gasoline Supply

Statement Given Wednesday By Gov. Easley Concerning Gasoline Supply In North Carolina

The two major pipelines that furnish gasoline to many states, including North Carolina, have been affected by Hurricane Katrina and are currently without electricity. They service North Carolina and 8-10 other states.
90 percent of our gas comes from these pipelines and right now they are not operational.
Suppliers generally have a week or so of supply. They have been shut down since the hurricane.
The pipelines need electric supply and the refineries that produce gasoline need to make urgent repairs also are without electricity.
The refineries that produce gasoline need to make urgent repairs.
Consequently, we do not know the extent of the problem, but we do know that there will be a signifcant loss of gasoline in the Southeast, at least in the short term, until the electricity is restored.
This is not only a state problem, this is also a regional and a national problem. We are hoping that the Department of Energy will take some action as soon as possible. I have tried to get direction from DOE, but they have not yet responded.
In the meantime, I am asking all North Carolinians to conserve gas. Some stations are already out.Wait for more information before making Labor Day travel plans.
We are taking steps to ensure that emergency vehicles have the supplies that they need, police, fire and rescue.
I am immediately suspending all non-essential state government travel. I am asking state employees to carpool wherever possible.
I am also asking all our citizens to be smart about their fuel consumption.
I am asking them to carpool if they can and to limit non-essential road trips.
We are not out of gas, but we are running low.
We must take steps to conserve our resources while we learn the full extent of the problems and while Washington works toward a regional and national strategy.
With careful use of precious fuel, consumers can help us weather this latest storm.
North Carolina understands hurricanes. We have been through them and we know that we will weather this one as we have in the past. We know they cause distruption. We just need to know as much as we can and plan.
http://www.wral.com/news/4921679/detail.html

My daughter who lives in Fayetteville/ Fort Bragg NC area, just called and said all gas stations there are closing at 3pm...Guess they are closed.
She is trying to see if stations will still be opened on post.
0 likes   

aquaholic901
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#35 Postby aquaholic901 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:44 pm

melhow wrote:
aquaholic901 wrote:Stations just east of Tampa where I'm at are running out. Down to premium only at $3.05+.

Not really sure as I rarely get over that way. I'm from Brandon and work in Plant City. Several stations along major routes are out of all but premium and the price of those that do have it has gone up from $2.73 yesterday to $2.93 today; needless to say I only see it getting higher :\. Glad I got rid of my Jeep last year, I can't even imagine having to pay $65+ twice a week to fill that thing up.
0 likes   

damicatz
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#36 Postby damicatz » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:45 pm

On WRAL's Frontpage :
Officials with the Office of the Governor tell WRAL that there is NO TRUTH to rumors circulating that gas stations across the state will close on Thursday.
0 likes   

jshetley
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#37 Postby jshetley » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:47 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/01/news/economy/pipeline/

Most of the gas stations here in Union county in SC are out of gas. Little if any in the terminal up in Spartanburg.
0 likes   

Zadok
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#38 Postby Zadok » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:11 pm

School Buses May Stop Because Of Gas Shortage

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Orange County School district canceled busing for all extracurricular activities Wednesday, including sports, and may have to cancel all busing Friday.

It's all because of fuel shortages caused in the hurricane's wake, WESH 2 News reported.

"Hurricane Katrina has impacted central Florida more than we know," said Orange County Schools Superintendent Ron Blocker. "I'm temporarily terminating or canceling the transportation we normally provide for all field trips, and after-hour events."

That means band members and football players will have to find their own transportation to games. So will athletes in all other Orange County school sports.

The nation's 12th largest school district is getting barely enough diesel fuel from suppliers to run its 1,100 buses a day.

It's gotten so bad for several local school districts that some drivers are pulling up to regular fuel stations to get their diesel.

Driver Juan Diaz found out Wednesday he is only allowed to fill half his tank because buying from retailers is more expensive. It could add 50 percent to 75 percent onto the regular cost of running buses.

And it could get much worse. If Orange County does not get its regular diesel delivery Thursday, the district may cancel all busing to and from school as soon as Friday.

"If the supplies do not come through, I want to give our parents, specifically our community in general, as much notice as possible that there will have to be adjustments in how our students come to school," Blocker said.

In short, without buses, students will have to walk, ride bikes or get rides to and from school.

Other school districts in Central Florida are wrestling with the fuel crunch. Seminole County has canceled busing for field trips and will decide Thursday if sports and other transportation will be cut.

Lake, Marion, Volusia, and Brevard counties are monitoring the situation but have made no changes as yet.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#39 Postby MBismyPlayground » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:16 pm

damicatz wrote:On WRAL's Frontpage :
Officials with the Office of the Governor tell WRAL that there is NO TRUTH to rumors circulating that gas stations across the state will close on Thursday.

I just read that. Trying to find out who told her this. aaawww the military wives.Family support. Although in truth many stations are closed due to lack of gas. She, of course, ran out to get gas and could find only one several miles away that still had gas.
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby breeze » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:42 pm

Some stations around Tennessee are experiencing temporary gas
outages, but, not because of a shortage - people are worried about
gas supplies running out, and, keep going back to "top off" their gas
tanks. TN Govenor Phil Bredeson is encouraging people to stay home
for this holiday weekend. I'd planned to do that, anyway!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”