Need FEMA advice pronto pls

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jusforsean
Category 1
Category 1

Need FEMA advice pronto pls

#1 Postby jusforsean » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:54 pm

Hi
I need FEMA advice: We just bought a manufactured home in davie florida a few months before Wilma. Wilma pretty much destroyed our home and left us still with a 1/2 roof, missing ceilings, insulation, floors caving in and no living room furniture. We had insurance but sis not know that i was under insured and they depreciate your roof and everything else! They paid us but its not enough to fix it totally. I had applied with Fema from the beginning and an inspector finally came out in December and was rude and quick nd wouldn't take my paperwork, a few Weeks later I called and found out that I was denied because the inspector said our damages were not hurricane related. Can you imagine?????Oh my I was mad I filed a complaint against him and asked for an appeal. I am still waiting for a decision and re inspection. I sent pictures with my letter because he did not take any. so i am about a week away from the 90 day deadline with them and when i call every person tells me something different. Even the supervisors. The last brain surgeon over there i spoke to told me that even if it passes the 90 days, I sould do nothing because it might take them longer. My thing is they havent sent me anything in writing saying that it would take longer and if I do nothing I could ruin my chances for the help we need. I have 3 kids under 7 we need to fix this house before rainy season forget hurricane season. Every time it rains it springs leaks everywhere , we have 3 tarps up there but they are fraying now. Any suggestions??? Sorry to type your ear off :) But it just seems theres no where else to go to get past the supervisors??? Thanks in advance. :?:
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Aquawind » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Wish I had a majic number for you to call.. You need to continue to beat the drums and get pissed.. Call your congressman and lawyer! Call the newspapers and tell FEMA your doing just that.. Don't listen to some lobotimizer. Get your documentation together including bids for repairs, pictures, etc. Make duplicates and send them out. If the damage is legitimate hurricane damage they have to respond.

I think you already know that you can't wait forever though and under insured is unfortunate but clearly means you need to cover that mistake out of pocket and FEMA may see that alone as your issue and not thiers.. People suffered insured or not and with FEMA or not. To me under insured even with full FEMA help still means some is coming out of your pocket. How much is hard to say. FEMA should still help. Dang the luck... :roll:

You need to get this fixed somehow or other issues will arise and the home will fall apart and rot with mold come rainy season.. Not healthy for little kidddies or you. :(

Paul
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Ixolib » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:36 pm

Just keep appealing. For every denial, simply respond with an appeal. And, of course, it is in your best interest to keep things civil - NO MATTER who is right or who is wrong, nice or mean, FEMA has the checkbook - so they win in that game!!
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#4 Postby wayoutfront » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:50 am

What year make model is the MH home you bought? and date purchased?

and what is your policy and coverage amounts ?

and what were paid Gross amount and then the amount after depreciation?

can you post photos?
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby alicia-w » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:22 pm

call your congressman
0 likes   

jusforsean
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby jusforsean » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:01 pm

HI, sorry I didnt reply I didnt see any one talking on this thread so I thought it was dead:(
My home is a 1980 manufactured home in Davie Florida
We bought it in march right before Wilma
I wa insured for $19000 apparently I was majorly underinsured as They came out and depreciated everything I ended up with about 9000 which barley covers the roof I have a neighbor who is a contractor doing the work to put a roof over and replace the car port, thank god for him because hes working for cheap. But theres also much to do inside, insulation, ceilings, sub floors and regular flooring over. I got denied from fema on my appeal and the thing that really bugged me is they never bothered to send a 2nd inspector out. now 2 of my neighbors got 2nd inspections and fema told one that they were paying to replace her home, after she fixed it and the other is getting assistance as well. I dont know how I slipped thru the cracks but I sent a 2nd appeal letter Sat. I want another inspections how dare they say the damages arent hurricane related!!! How can I insert photos here? ( my neightbors nick named it ole' blue[/url]
0 likes   

jusforsean
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby jusforsean » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:51 am

UPDATE: I re-aapealed and got denied yet again, now here I go again I am submitting a 3rd appeal. Mabey, 3 times the charm we will see!
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby SouthFloridawx » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:08 pm

Call and or write to your local newspaper/tv stations news/ and radio stations get them to cover it. Maybe they can do a little investigation for you to find out what you can do. :D
0 likes   

jusforsean
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby jusforsean » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:16 pm

I did e-mail my local news station but havent heard back: :D
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby SouthFloridawx » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:26 pm

jusforsean wrote:I did e-mail my local news station but havent heard back: :D

Try to call them you can show them documented proof of your denials and the fact that your neighbors have gotten help.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”