Its really bad over here.

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Gtmalacd

Its really bad over here.

#1 Postby Gtmalacd » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:15 am

I was not present when Stan ravaged this region, but I was in Tapachula in 2000, and I look back at the pictures "then and now" and it seem like it just happened yesterday. The government seems to ignore the plights of its own people, and especially the indiginous. I am here on releif work after being asked by my church to assist in their relief efforts. I provide medical aid to those that are in need, as well as essential first aid teaching and hygiene. It is just really bad down here, and if this season lives up to all the hype, we are in deep trouble because this part of the region will never regain economically. I mean it is already on the brink, but I believe another hit and it is all she wrote.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/fromthefield/222031/114485438416.htm
0 likes   

Gtmalacd

#2 Postby Gtmalacd » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:24 am

Some of the streets were the floods occurred, I visited some 4 years ago. I see images of people in desparation every day wondering...

[/url]http://www.lakjer.dk/mikkel/photos-stan.shtml[url]
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#3 Postby MiamiensisWx » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:30 am

That's horrible!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
0 likes   

flashflood
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby flashflood » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:16 pm

I went there in 2002 and 2004, from Puerto San Jose to Tikal. Guatemala's economy is improving, it's a great place for a retirement home, as the cost of living is very low and the weather in the highlands is very pleasant all year around. I was considering on buying property in Panajachel or Antiqua. While I was in Guate, I could never find weather casts on the TV or radio, the weather is almost the same all year around anyway, so I guess that could be part of the reason. All the people I know who live there, do not know anything about the weather, and there is little time to prepare for something, especially in the smaller towns. The government down there for the most part has it's hands full with crime and corruption in the city, and not much resources for a disaster elsewhere. Fortunately there are church and other international aid to help out the smaller towns, however they have very little chance of getting out the word, quickly become forgotten and left to fend for themselves. Although they are not the only country to have these problems, it's good to see that they are still being helped and that their is still information out there so that they won't be forgotten.
0 likes   

CHRISTY

#5 Postby CHRISTY » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:21 pm

iam sorry to hear that hope things get better! : :crying:
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby SouthFloridawx » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:44 pm

flashflood wrote:I went there in 2002 and 2004, from Puerto San Jose to Tikal. Guatemala's economy is improving, it's a great place for a retirement home, as the cost of living is very low and the weather in the highlands is very pleasant all year around. I was considering on buying property in Panajachel or Antiqua. While I was in Guate, I could never find weather casts on the TV or radio, the weather is almost the same all year around anyway, so I guess that could be part of the reason. All the people I know who live there, do not know anything about the weather, and there is little time to prepare for something, especially in the smaller towns. The government down there for the most part has it's hands full with crime and corruption in the city, and not much resources for a disaster elsewhere. Fortunately there are church and other international aid to help out the smaller towns, however they have very little chance of getting out the word, quickly become forgotten and left to fend for themselves. Although they are not the only country to have these problems, it's good to see that they are still being helped and that their is still information out there so that they won't be forgotten.

If only there was a way to improve some type of communication there before an impending storm so that people are aware of it. There has to be someway to do that.
0 likes   

Gtmalacd

#7 Postby Gtmalacd » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:03 pm

SouthFloridawx wrote:
flashflood wrote:I went there in 2002 and 2004, from Puerto San Jose to Tikal. Guatemala's economy is improving, it's a great place for a retirement home, as the cost of living is very low and the weather in the highlands is very pleasant all year around. I was considering on buying property in Panajachel or Antiqua. While I was in Guate, I could never find weather casts on the TV or radio, the weather is almost the same all year around anyway, so I guess that could be part of the reason. All the people I know who live there, do not know anything about the weather, and there is little time to prepare for something, especially in the smaller towns. The government down there for the most part has it's hands full with crime and corruption in the city, and not much resources for a disaster elsewhere. Fortunately there are church and other international aid to help out the smaller towns, however they have very little chance of getting out the word, quickly become forgotten and left to fend for themselves. Although they are not the only country to have these problems, it's good to see that they are still being helped and that their is still information out there so that they won't be forgotten.

If only there was a way to improve some type of communication there before an impending storm so that people are aware of it. There has to be someway to do that.

Unless, you live in the city forget about. The Mayan villages and the indigenous people have literally no communication unless you speak of it. The telephone system around here sucks to say the least, but it works. The Indigenous people know when bad weather is coming, but they do not know the severity.
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby LAwxrgal » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:08 pm

Gtma, welcome to the board! Your perspective on the situation there is much appreciated. Sorry to hear things are so bad over there... and without much communication, there isn't nearly as much media coverage either. Those are incredible pics but sorry they have to show such sad things! :(
0 likes   
Andrew 92/Isidore & Lili 02/Bill 03/Katrina & Rita 05/Gustav & Ike 08/Isaac 12 (flooded my house)/Harvey 17/Barry 19/Cristobal 20/Claudette 21/Ida 21 (In the Eye)
Wake me up when November ends

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”