A 25 year recovery?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#41 Postby GalvestonDuck » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:11 am

Lindaloo wrote:Well I can speak only for Pascagoula. Most of us are not going anywhere!

Hoo-wah!!! :)
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:20 pm

GalvestonDuck wrote:
Lindaloo wrote:Well I can speak only for Pascagoula. Most of us are not going anywhere!

Hoo-wah!!! :)

SMACK!! :lol: :lol:
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:40 pm

Well, just my 2 cents on the "hit again" scenario. While I'm hoping that the odds play out and we're spared another "major hit" for a while, IF New Orleans and environs were to suffer another big hit this summer, (God please forbid!) that might very well be the deathknell for the area--truly the beginning of the end. Not that I want it, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool New Orleanian whose family has been here quite literally for centuries. But that doesn't matter to mother nature.

That said, I somewhat disagree with those who've said that there is virtually no hope, and that the area is doomed to be as George Strait would aptly put it: Waterfront Property. Some have claimed our wetlands are gone for good, and doomed to shrink exponentially more in the future. This position is not held universally by any stretch and there ARE moves (engineering and environmentally) to reclaim some of those lost areas, and perhaps ever the optimist, I believe it can be done. If that proves idealistic and wrong, then the doomsday scenarioists (is that even a word? :wink:) ..will be proven correct. But I still cling to the hope that we will recover, and even regain some of those lost wetlands. YES it will take quite some time, which is why I hope Mother Nature cooperates--and I readily concede that hope is the lynchpin upon which the entire fate of the area rests.

A2K
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”