Hurricane stories.

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

weatherwoman132
Category 1
Category 1

Hurricane stories.

#1 Postby weatherwoman132 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:08 pm

I'm in south florida, we have been hit a lot. hurricanes these days arent fun. I remember how stupid I was to think that it would be kind of fun to be in a situation where you had no power, and things like that. in 2004, I was thinking, when will it be our turn, they always are loosing days to school for hurricanes, and they get the big ones. when we got the worst of a category 3, wilma, I dont ever want to endure that kind of situation again. we had steel shutters up, and 2 windows were still blown in. I guess because we live on a lake, and that there was nothing to weaken the wind. I wouldnt wish a situation like that on my worst enemy. I thought I was going to die.

any one else have any interesting stories?
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby ROCK » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:16 pm

might want to reduce your avatar...really big....

This thread would be more suited in the aftermath recovery forum....
0 likes   

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Javlin » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:11 pm

Well I got one about Katrina

It starts about two days after Katrina hit when my wife and son left togo too Destin with her parents.As they were leaving a friend of mine with the BPD told me that the looters hwere making it into the neighborhood knocking on doors coming back later to loot.Now I had two police officers who lived to my W,a BFD to my E,and a Homeland Security officer to my NW.The BFD guy got for our block a 55 gallon drum of fuel on that Thursday after the storm.It was my job to guard the drum and the generator while he was out.Our days where filled with work from dawn to dusk with only one meal and little water of course.By now the looter problem was beginning to be a real worry as I was hearing from some of the guys on the block.That being the case we always were on watch and packing(mine was an M1 carbine).Well it was Saturday night and the Homeland Security guy and I where sleeping outside.I had had the most I drank in two years that night and I was passed out on the front porch with my 85lb black Lab.The HSG was sleeping in the back of his P/U.It was about 1AM when thinsgs started to happen.A supposed scout?looter? came into my yard and hid behind the debis pile no more than 20yds from me.The HSG saw him and was waiting for my response knowing that I had a 30rd clip loaded.I didn't budge,I was out.After a minute or so he figured I had gone in earlier and proceeded to put the light on him.The guy jumps out into the street my Lab come alive and takes after him.They get the guy in the middle of the street.The HSG said this guy didn't know if he was going to 9mm or chewed up by the dog(she's never bitten no one).The next day he tells me the story it was one time I think I was glad to be out.The Old Man upstairs I think wanted it that way I might of shot the guy.The police the next day told us the next time wrist tie them and leave them in the yard they will pick them up the next day this guy was most likely a scout.Oh yea what happened to the possible looter the HSG told him tell your friends the block is heavily armed an do not come back.We cease to have any other problems after that for the most part.That first Ten days after the storm I think where the hardest I have ever done.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby TSmith274 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:34 pm

Yep, we heard about looting... blown WAY out of proportion. But, at the time, we thought it was true. I live in Algiers... about 10 minutes from downtown New Orleans. So, my brother, cousin and I left Lafayette and headed into town with a couple loaded guns to collect our valuables and a car that we'd left in the driveway... thinking we'd be back in a few days. We got past, or around :wink: three roadblocks and headed into New Orleans. Streets were empty, and military was everywhere. Had to drive up into people's yards, around fallen trees, and over fallen powerlines... It was really an unbelievable sight. Upon getting to our house, we checked everything and came upon two hungry and angry dobermans. We had some dogfood in the house, so we filled a 5 gallon bucket full of food for them and filled another 5 gallon bucket full of water for them. They finished the entire bucket of water in one sitting... about 4 minutes I guess. They were our best buddies after that. So we filled the water up again and left it with the food. The droan of helicopters overhead was a constant reminder of the misery taking place all over the city. The drive into the city on the westbank expressway just about moved us all to tears... the sight of the New Orleans skyline, dozens of helicopters flying about, several buildings on fire in the distance, coupled with the haunting view of a black Superdome roof... was all very moving. But we got in, retrieved what we needed, and headed back to Lafayette after checking on a few neighbors houses. I'll never forget that day... that's for sure.
0 likes   

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Javlin » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:24 pm

Yea Smith my dog Raven went with me everywhere.She really liked those MRE's when we started getting those.The police clamped down pretty hard on the looting around here,still it happened,always will.
0 likes   

weatherwoman132
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby weatherwoman132 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:12 pm

gosh. I'm so glad you guys are okay. :)
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby TSmith274 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:55 am

Yeah Javlin, i forgot to mention... the only people we saw in my neighborhood were NOPD officers. For all that went wrong with the NOPD... I was happy to see them on foot-patrol in Algiers... looking after people's houses. And how 'bout those MRE's? We lived on those for a week at least. I thought the were pretty good.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:34 am

Ahh, the ubiquitous MRE's... lived on 'em for at least 2 weeks from my apartment.(Well the slab after pulling out most of the damaged stuff from water etc.) .. absolutely NO services or stores open at reasonable times, military everywhere, and strict curfews --had to lock in before sunset... something to tell the kids and grandkids about--that's for sure.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Javlin » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:10 am

That's it A2K the STRICT curfews and that sog was in my yard at 1AM in a dust to dawn curfew.The HSG was actually my neighbors son from Atlanta.How he got the papers together and all so quickly is beyond me but he brought an 18 wheeler for just our block there by that Thursday after the storm.Not quite enough food for all but alot of plastic,wood,water,SODA's and only fair amount of food.Thing is it was about 20 miles away up 49 in a location I could never find again.We got 3 three trucks ready togo load up the POfficers next to me gave me a shirt to wear just in case anything should happen.It was my first trip out from the house beyond a mile and all I could say was crap it looked bad.One of the guys out there was GFD he knew ny newphew there and I think an another HS.He took an interest in the old 1943 Inland carbine.That's one of my hobbies I collect rifles(military 1965 back)and I had quite afew in the house hence one of the reasons I was not leaving as well as my dog Raven.
0 likes   

Zackiedawg
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#10 Postby Zackiedawg » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:26 pm

We were fortunate to not have any looting problems in our town after Wilma, Frances, or Jeanne. All of them left us powerless and without basic services for 4-10 days, but the response around here was fairly reasonable, damage nowhere near as vast and great as the Katrina damage, and policing and military was well staffed and able to keep control. It took a while to get water, MREs, gasoline, and other basic supplies distributed - after Wilma, roughly 3 days or so for food and water stations to get going.

Of course, I couldn't understand how quickly folks around here started jumping on officials for not reacting sooner. While the power outage was inconvenient, and not having gasoline and food was a hindrance, it WAS a disaster after all! People around here seemed to expect to have life return to normal by the afternoon of the day Wilma hit. By driving around sightseeing after the storms and failing to take any preparations before-hand, they quickly ran out of whatever minimal supplies they had and began to protest and complain that more wasn't ready when THEY wanted it.

Maybe it is experience with disasters, maybe it is just logic, but if a storm is coming, even if the predictions say it will be minor, I PREPARE. I make sure I have drinking water, batteries, candles, and non-perishable foods. I fill bathtubs for wash and flush water. I fill my gastank. After Wilma, I spent 4 days without leaving my neighborhood...I just cleaned up around my house, helped neighbors clean up, cleared roads, and lived off the supplies I stored. After 5 days, I had to get to my office, which had power restored - and because I had done no driving, I had a full tank ready for 1 week of commuting without a fillup. I never needed to go to supermarkets or food distribution centers to clamber for food and water. I watched battery powered television and lit candles at night. I cooked by BBQ grill.

It's a routine I had to develop after going through Frances the year before - 8 days of powerless living, and 90 degree heat and humidity to boot (Wilma's post-storm cold front was a godsend) - and Jeanne shortly thereafter (which fortunately only lasted 4 days).

Of course, something can always come along and ruin the best-laid plans...I went through a 1994 earthquake which I was thoroughly prepared for, and which left me broke, homeless, and without supplies despite all preparations...but I feel fairly well prepared and rehearsed after these past 3 storms. I've got a routine. I know what I was missing the first few times. I've filled in most of the gaps. Wilma was a great emergency test - and it went very well indeed. Now, if South Florida ever gets hit with something bigger and meaner (A cat 3, 4, or 5), I'll be that much better prepared to deal with the aftermath.

Floridians need to consider Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma wake-up calls. For most of us, they just hinted at what could be. Fortunately, a vast majority of us were unharmed, and most of us still had habitable homes afterwards. These storms just dusted most of us up a bit - did some unscheduled landscaping work, and forced us to do some earlier-than-planned roof rebuilds and painting. Ivan and Rita showed South Floridians what the next category up from Wilma can do. Katrina and Charley showed us what the one above that can do. Andrew showed a small, narrow strip of South Floridians what the top category can do. Hopefully, a few early warning shots like the 2004 and 2005 seasons will get South Floridians in a respectful mindset to prepare for all storms, and to get out of the way of the biggest ones!
0 likes   

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby LaPlaceFF » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:32 pm

0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:16 pm

My favorite hurricane story is from Frances. That was the first hurricane to impact me as a homeowner. Consequently, I was anxious. At the same time the storm was coming, I had 6 houseguests, my in-laws, my sister-in-law with her two small children (3 and 5) and her husband. My sister-in-law married a man who is from Manhattan. He really is an OK guy, but is smarter than all people who do not live in Manhattan. I told the New Yorkers to go home early. My sister-in-law was taking me seriously. Her husband was not. He “had been through plenty of hurricanes on Long Island.” Uhhhhh, this isn’t Long Island, but O.K.. As the storm approaches, I break out the shutters for the first time. What a disaster. The previous owner installed them. The shutters weren’t labeled and about a third of the inserts in the wall came out as soon as I touched them. Fortunately, my neighbor had some tapcons that I was able to use to get the shutters up. The whole event took about 13 hours and some sore thumbs for tightening all those wing nuts by hand. I also turned down the A/C as far as it would go, or at least tried too. Explaining to my family that wearing some sweaters now would keep us more comfortable in the long run. I lost that battle for Frances. I won that battle for Jean. So, the storm arrives and we are doing OK. It was somebody’s birthday. So, we got a cake and ate the ice cream that we knew would melt. (No generator yet.) As soon as the power went out we started the party. The house was a dark cave because of the shutters, but we managed. I have some construction paper, so I rolled out about 6 feet and gave the kids crayons. That lasted about an hour. We were doing fine, but then Frances stalled. I was on damage patrol looking for leaks and other things that I could take care of. The two mothers and grandmother (mother-in-law) were taking care of the children. The mother-in-law was also making gourmet salads. She is an amazing cook. My father-in-law was smoking a pipe and passing the time doing crossword puzzles. He is a super guy. The New Yorker seemed to be in charge of being high strung and nervous. All he did was get angry. At one point during the storm, he was slammed my sliding glass door shut so hard that I thought it was going to break. He was mad at our mother-in-law for some stupid reason. Then, he started to scream at his wife. It was lovely. I had a house with a 3,4,5,and 6 year old in it, and the 40 year old was having a tantrum. He is a really big guy, so all you can do is let him rant. After a while, he did apologize and was embarrassed. Which was a good thing. What amazed me was that about 12 hours after the storm began he actually said, “Storms in Long Island aren’t anything like this.” That is the closest I have ever heard him to admitting that he was wrong. I thought about explaining the difference between the sub-tropics and New York, but instead, I just nodded and walked away.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”