City of Mobile Katrina Pics

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

City of Mobile Katrina Pics

#1 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:15 pm

I have not seen any pics out of Mobile posted on the board yet. I found these while researching online this morning.

http://www.cityofmobile.org/mobilepd/ka ... index.html
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:29 pm

It is so weird looking at those and recognizing where they are and that you've driven through that area many times and never dreamed of the water ever getting to that area, much less to the depths shown!!!! Freaky is the word.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Ixolib » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:15 pm

Seems weird, too, that we hear so little from or about the Mobile impact. I wonder why that is??? Seems to me that would have been a huge story in any other storm, wouldn't it??
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby beachbum_al » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:33 pm

You want to see pictures of Mobile and surrounding area... I have some. Actually the causeway is slowly recovering. Some of the businesses that were badly damaged have reopen and life is getting back to normal aroudn these parts.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:39 am

beachbum_al wrote:You want to see pictures of Mobile and surrounding area... I have some. Actually the causeway is slowly recovering. Some of the businesses that were badly damaged have reopen and life is getting back to normal aroudn these parts.

Yeah that is great news. I just posted these because alot of people did not see the water that came up in Mobile.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby sunny » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:55 am

Lindaloo wrote:
beachbum_al wrote:You want to see pictures of Mobile and surrounding area... I have some. Actually the causeway is slowly recovering. Some of the businesses that were badly damaged have reopen and life is getting back to normal aroudn these parts.

Yeah that is great news. I just posted these because alot of people did not see the water that came up in Mobile.

You are right, Linda. I did see some because our Mobile office sustained some damage. I think some people don't realize that Mobile got as much as it did.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby beachbum_al » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:08 am

It is amazing what the storm surge did to us around Mobile and the Eastern Shore. Never in my life did I dream that it would happen. Our Big Pier in Fairhope is still destroyed and will be at least two years before they finish it. The FYC is completely destroyed but they have already started rebuilding. And yes anyone interested in the Dauphin Island Regatta in Mobile Bay...it is going on in April. We are not going to let Katrina ruin everything around here.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby beachbum_al » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:09 am

Here are some links that I found. The first one is the FYC

http://www.fairhopeyachtclub.com/photos/scripts/photodisplay.asp?IDNum=80

Here is a link from US sailing of all of the Yacht Clubs in the South that were damaged. Practically wiped out the Southern Yachting Association for a short time!

http://www.ussailing.org/News/2005/hurricanekatrina.htm

Here are a few pictures I have...I have more and will try to load them tonight on here.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=330&groupID=304546&folderview=&ck=
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:23 am

In the sailing link, I can tell you that the Pascagoula Yacht Club was also totally destroyed.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby beachbum_al » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:54 am

i know a lot of the sailing clubs were destroyed in the path of Katrina and Rita. It is really sad because I know how I felt when I went down to FYC the day after. It was like a big part of me had been torn away. A lot of memories that can't be replaced. But I know that they will rebuild and I hope that continues throughout the Gulf Coast! The Gulf Coast had/and will have again a strong Sailing Racing Fleet.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby beachbum_al » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:47 am

This is the big pier in Fairhope, AL. Katrina's storm surge literally knocked out concrete planks out of the bottom of it. This pier has survived storms like Camille, Frederic, George, Danny, Ivan. Katrina was too big of a match.

What scares me is that this happen here and we didn't get the worse of the storm. As i remember these type of pictures from the morning after the storm I keep thinking of what the people of LA and MS and AL that were to the West of me came home too.

Scenic HWY 98 along the beach leading to the Mariott Grand Hotel. The Hotel was flooded.

Fly Creek Cafe flooded. The Cafe is up a little bit from the FYC across the creek.

The Beach in Daphne

Also if you to link I left earlier to my website photo book there are some more pictures too.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”