Has anybody ever had a problem backfeeding there house?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Has anybody ever had a problem backfeeding there house?

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:21 am

After going through numerous hurricanes and watching many neighbors backfeed there houses I was struck by an observation. Not one has had a problem. All of our houses are very easy to disconnect from the grid. It is just a flip of a main breaker. That might be why. Otherwise, I have never known of anybody actually having a problem when the power came back on.

I have read about killing linemen, which is horrible. I even think I have read about it happening somewhere. I have heard rumors that FPL does something to the lines before powering back up to knock out generators. I don't know how seriously to take that, and I am not going to test it out. There have been reports of fires caused by a backfeeding generator meeting a newly power grid.But still nobody I have ever actually met.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby artist » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:43 am

you have to pull the meter or turn off the main breaker - BUT if you wire it up wrong when just turning off the main breaker - yes it could kill a line man! It is not something that should be played around with if you don't know what you are doing. If your neighbors have been lucky so far - thank God! It has to be done properly.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby artist » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:44 am

if you will look in the hurricane prepartion forum you will find more info on this as well as the proper way to do this I believe.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:16 pm

Thanks. I wasn't sure if this should be in prep or aftermath. On one hand, getting everything ready is for prep, but doing it is more appropriate for aftermath.
I already know how to do backfeed, but I haven't had a generator until recently.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”