Is anyone crunching the numbers?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

soonertwister
Category 5
Category 5

Is anyone crunching the numbers?

#1 Postby soonertwister » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:00 am

They are saying that the Astrodome can seat 50 thousand people. And they think that the space that can hold that many seated people can accommodate 25 thousand people 24 hours a day? How?

The guy in charge there was saying that they have lots of showers at the Astrodome, 85.

If you run 25 thousand people through those 85 showers 24 hours a day and do nothing to maintain the showers, you can process one person through the showers all day and night for less than 5 minutes each.

I'm pretty shocked by the figures I'm hearing from these people. I'm not at all sure they understand what they are dealing with. By my estimate much less than 10 thousand in that building might be far too many.

Anyone of authority who is on site, you are welcome to explain to me how these problems are going to be overcome. I assume that if the shower facilities are this inadequate, people won't have enough time to use the restrooms there, and if problems start to happen, they will start to happen within 24 hours.

I just want to know what the contingency plans are, because while I'm not an expert, it doesn't take an expert to see that your facility cannot sustain a population of 25 thousand for any period of time at all without significant augmentation of services or a catastrophic loss of control.

How are you going to deal with that?

BTW, with that many people, if your meal periods last four hours each, 104 plus people have to walk away from the food line each minute with their meals. Have fun guys, I think you are going to be in a lot of trouble in no time at all.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby crazycajuncane » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:08 am

I been playing the numbers game too... They have to put limits on how many people they have basically for the health and sanitation of all.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#3 Postby jasons2k » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:11 am

Did someone post earlier they had capped it off at 8,000 or has that now changed?
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#4 Postby jasons2k » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:13 am

0 likes   

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby NC George » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:16 am

That's why they stopped taking people at around 10,000: they realized how many people 25,000 people is. That's 5 of the town closest to me in population, or 1/4 our county population.

On the other hand, at a football game 1/2 the seated people use the bathroom in a 15 minute halftime, and the other half get food, so 10,000 shouldn't be a problem. Portable showers will obviously have to be set up: 85 isn't going to cut it.

One sudden idea: the people they need to talk to are the resident housing departments of large public universities. These people know how to move in 10's of thousands of students in a couple of days.
0 likes   

jopatura
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby jopatura » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:26 am

NC George wrote:That's why they stopped taking people at around 10,000: they realized how many people 25,000 people is. That's 5 of the town closest to me in population, or 1/4 our county population.

On the other hand, at a football game 1/2 the seated people use the bathroom in a 15 minute halftime, and the other half get food, so 10,000 shouldn't be a problem. Portable showers will obviously have to be set up: 85 isn't going to cut it.

One sudden idea: the people they need to talk to are the resident housing departments of large public universities. These people know how to move in 10's of thousands of students in a couple of days.

Our fire department can be really picky, but understandable so. Opening the Reliant Center was a good idea because it has a lot of space. One place I haven't heard about yet is the Astro Arena which, at one point, had been positively huge. I'm pretty sure it's still there too, so maybe they'll move people in there eventually.

RHA has a year to plan move-in and generally it's left up into the hands of students. Other then providing a place to park and a few dollys, they just told us to go at it.

What they need to do is to get everyone to sit for a second on a cot and figure out what they have in there. Although I'm not sure anyone would actually comply at this point. I think they'll get everything under control in time. I don't think they realized how restless and violent these people would be.

One thing that's stuck with me the past hours is when the first bus pulled up, the reporter noticed "the people aren't happy to be here. They're just here." These people, however glad they may be that they have the facilities, aren't happy to be here. They probably don't want to be here. But once the people start settling down and accepting after the fact, it'll get easier. I hope...
0 likes   

thunderchief
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby thunderchief » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:46 am

I really dont think daily showers are a necessary hurricane shelter ammenity.
0 likes   

cmdebbie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby cmdebbie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:19 am

thunderchief wrote:I really dont think daily showers are a necessary hurricane shelter ammenity.

No, but it should be in the beginning. Most of these people have been wading through contaminated water for days. The stench and amount of germs has got to be awful!
0 likes   

Downdraft
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Downdraft » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:45 am

cmdebbie wrote:
thunderchief wrote:I really dont think daily showers are a necessary hurricane shelter ammenity.

No, but it should be in the beginning. Most of these people have been wading through contaminated water for days. The stench and amount of germs has got to be awful!

All of these people will be processed through decontamination stations and then medical stations to be given innoculations and antibiotics. The scope of this health emergency goes well beyond the boundaries of the Gulf Coast. Unless we get control of it fast we are looking at epidemics of diseases we haven't seen in this country in a 100 years. Cholera, typhoid, tetnaus, diptheria, West Nile Virus, ecoli and God knows what else.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”