Amazing Conversation from French Quarter

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Amazing Conversation from French Quarter

#1 Postby Talon402 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:58 pm

From SchnittShow.com and MJMorningShow.com (Out of Tampa, FL)

"We spoke with a man today who is holed up in the French Quarter, his name is Ryan and he is staying at the restaurant that the works in.

Listen to this amazing call and hear him describe the situation in New Orleans as he sees it."

EDIT: Rehosted:
http://danielsahmel.com/mj_ryan_neworleans1.mp3 and
http://danielsahmel.com/mj_ryan_neworleans2.mp3

Also available here, 3rd item down.: http://schnittshow.com/main.html
Part 1:
http://www.mjmorningshow.com/video/mj_ryan_neworleans1.mp3

Part 2:
http://www.mjmorningshow.com/video/mj_ryan_neworleans2.mp3

EDIT: Looks like the server is jam-packed. Try the HTML page, that was working for some people.

Also, the host reported that he had 2 unconfirmed sources saying that 75,000 body bags had been ordered for NOLA. I'm not buying it, and neither is Schnitt until there's confirmation from a reputable source. However, a caller on the show did the math: Mayor estimates around 100,000 people stayed in the city; -25,000 or 30,000 from the Superdome, -the couple thousands on rooftops....and it could be a very large number.

Like I said, I'm not buying into this figure, but no doubt the number will be shockingly high in the end.

This call from the French Quarter is incredible.
Last edited by Talon402 on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Gorky
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby Gorky » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:12 pm

File is offline already? :?:
0 likes   

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby Talon402 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:26 pm

BUMP

//Files Rehosted
0 likes   

ohiostorm
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby ohiostorm » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:35 pm

75,000 bodybags?? Is this real?
0 likes   

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5 Postby Talon402 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:47 pm

ohiostorm wrote:75,000 bodybags?? Is this real?

That's what I was saying -> it's only a rumor until someone higher up confirms it. I was only passing along what 2 people reported in on this radio show. Until then, I would treat it as only as unsubstantiated.

ALTHOUGH --> Max Mayfield was just on the live stream from 970 AM, and he said that after Andrew, they ordered a very high number of body bags as well, but fortunately they didn't have to use all of them.
0 likes   

MKT2005

#6 Postby MKT2005 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:50 pm

Talon402 wrote:

That's what I was saying -> it's only a rumor until someone higher up confirms it. I was only passing along what 2 people reported in on this radio show. Until then, I would treat it as only as unsubstantiated.

ALTHOUGH --> Max Mayfield was just on the live stream from 970 AM, and he said that after Andrew, they ordered a very high number of body bags as well, but fortunately they didn't have to use all of them.

There is a lot of evidence thousands died from Andrew but their death was covered up. No dount the goverment will cover up the death toll from Katrina too. Watch as an amazingly low deathtoll is released.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby TSmith274 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:51 pm

Jefferson Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness director William Maestri ordered 50,000 body bags in anticipation of this disaster YEARS ago. This is no suprise to the people of New Orleans. We're just mad that nobody made any effort to protect the city and prevent this disaster.

Why build a hurricane protection system designed to only protect against a category 3 hurricane? No one can answer this. We need answers.
0 likes   

MKT2005

#8 Postby MKT2005 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:56 pm

TSmith274 wrote:

Jefferson Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness director William Maestri ordered 50,000 body bags in anticipation of this disaster YEARS ago. This is no suprise to the people of New Orleans. We're just mad that nobody made any effort to protect the city and prevent this disaster.

Why build a hurricane protection system designed to only protect against a category 3 hurricane? No one can answer this. We need answers.

The system didn't even protect again Cat 3 hurricane. Katrina hit NOLA with cat 3 winds remember, it passed many miles away from NOLA thus NOLA didn't get Cat 4 winds.
0 likes   

AlabamaDave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby AlabamaDave » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:00 pm

I find the 75,000 figure hard to believe. Does anyone know whether the 100,000 non-evacuee figure was for the City of New Orleans alone???

The earliest flooding (Mon) primarily occurred in sections of the city East of the Industrial Canal. These are the areas where certainly most of the fatalities will have occurred. I don't know the combined population of those areas, but I find it almost impossible to believe that there could have been 75,000 non-evacuees in those areas who drowned.

I just hope I am right.

I do think the death toll will be unlike anything we have seen in our history. 10,000 is easy for me to believe from New Orleans, and 20,000 is plausible. I just hope we're not talking about many thousands on the Mississippi Coastline as well.

A huge concern for me are the communities along the River below New Orleans all the way to the Gulf. We have heard nothing about these locations. I know most of the towns below Chalmette and Belle Chasse are relatively small, but there could easily be 1000+ fatalities in those areas as well.

This is so hard to comprehend. This is the United States. Things like this don't happen here.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby TSmith274 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:05 pm

MKT2005 wrote:
TSmith274 wrote:

The system didn't even protect again Cat 3 hurricane. Katrina hit NOLA with cat 3 winds remember, it passed many miles away from NOLA thus NOLA didn't get Cat 4 winds.

In NOLA, the winds are meaningless. A hurricane that was cat 5 right off the La coast doesn't have to maintain cat 5 strength to maintain that storm surge. But that's not the point either. If our levee system "didn't even protect against a cat 3", then somebody needs to provide answers to why the system was so inferior and innadequate. This is the USA... we should be more competent than that.
0 likes   

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#11 Postby Talon402 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:06 pm

The 75k figure was from a Clear Channel radio contact in the area, and the other source from a CIS (Critical Intervention Services) who are deployed in NOLA also. That's all the information the host had on it.
0 likes   

jopatura
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby jopatura » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:33 pm

TSmith274 wrote:
MKT2005 wrote:
TSmith274 wrote:

In NOLA, the winds are meaningless. A hurricane that was cat 5 right off the La coast doesn't have to maintain cat 5 strength to maintain that storm surge. But that's not the point either. If our levee system "didn't even protect against a cat 3", then somebody needs to provide answers to why the system was so inferior and innadequate. This is the USA... we should be more competent than that.

They asked the head of the Army Corps of Engineers this, I think, yesterday morning on CNN and he said "it just wasn't cost-effective at the time, to build levees to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane. The cost of it would have horribly egregious compared to it's function. We determined that a Cat 3 would have been enough."

Then when asked if it was cost-effective now, he said, "Well, I think we'll have to reevaluate the meaning of that after all this is over."
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:51 pm

I heard there is a minimum of 10,000 dead in the metro area, today, before I left.
0 likes   

greeng13
Category 3
Category 3

#14 Postby greeng13 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:04 pm

Sean in New Orleans wrote:I heard there is a minimum of 10,000 dead in the metro area, today, before I left.

you just got out of there today?
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:29 pm

greeng13 wrote:
Sean in New Orleans wrote:I heard there is a minimum of 10,000 dead in the metro area, today, before I left.

Yes, but, I'm too spent to share it in detail right now. It's an absolutely amazing story. I saw the small group of people I rode the storm out with today on NBC news. We spent the entire time together, but, seperated last night as I was able to escape with my dogs and best friend. I'm glad to see they are safe and OK and have notified their family all over the country and world and we are going to get them out of there.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby MBismyPlayground » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:38 pm

Sean in New Orleans wrote:
greeng13 wrote:

Yes, but, I'm too spent to share it in detail right now. It's an absolutely amazing story. I saw the small group of people I rode the storm out with today on NBC news. We spent the entire time together, but, seperated last night as I was able to escape with my dogs and best friend. I'm glad to see they are safe and OK and have notified their family all over the country and world and we are going to get them out of there.

OMG, you used the word "ESCAPE"......sounds very ominous.
Hope you will begin to recooperate and when feeling better you will tell us of your umm eerrr "adventure"<<~~~trying to make it sound way better then what it was ......
So glad you are now Safe.......
0 likes   

Chilly_Water
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#17 Postby Chilly_Water » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:37 pm

Sean in New Orleans wrote:Yes, but, I'm too spent to share it in detail right now. It's an absolutely amazing story. I saw the small group of people I rode the storm out with today on NBC news. We spent the entire time together, but, seperated last night as I was able to escape with my dogs and best friend. I'm glad to see they are safe and OK and have notified their family all over the country and world and we are going to get them out of there.

So I was right. I saw the two Scots interviewed and made the connection that that was the group you stayed with. So glad you made it out. For everyone else, it's a report on MSNBC's Countdown about "rooftop dwellings." A handyman wishing he'd left ends the story.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”