Schools in Baldwin County opening their doors to children

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

Schools in Baldwin County opening their doors to children

#1 Postby beachbum_al » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:06 pm

Baldwin County Schools are opening the door to students who have been displaced by the storm.

http://www.bcbe.org/

I am glad to see the school system I work for taking fast action to help the children.
0 likes   

NateFLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby NateFLA » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:43 pm

I just got relayed this email:
Hey guys,

This is cute, especially considering I paid 42 dollars for a tank of gas yesterday. But I know I should feel lucky right now. My school district and governor is allowing all refugee children to come enroll in our district, so I already have three new students. One was in my class yesterday and he just look shell shocked. All the kids wanted him to talk about it, and I had to tell them to leave him alone. I went over to talk to him one on one later and tell him I would help him and we would help him blah blah. He looked up at me and whispered, "Miss, we don't know where my granny is."

Oh my god ya'll. Broke my heart. What I do find so amazing is how much my kids want to help, and my kids don't have much to begin with. They started a little drive to bring things in for our new students. I had taught urgent and urgency as vocab in my class last week and one of my little girls comes up and says, "Ms. Czupryk we want to start collecting stuff for Brian's family because we know it is an urgent situation." Wow on the vocab and the effort.

It is a start.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby beachbum_al » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:08 pm

That is so touching. It is amazing how children can think of doing things like this to help. My heart breaks for the children. I know I will probably have some in the class I am working as an aide in Robertsdale. Especially since that is one of the Red Cross Centers where they are staying. Of course we haven't started school yet though.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”