BLAME GAME

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#21 Postby TSmith274 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:58 pm

JenBayles wrote:You all want someone to blame? How about the FRENCH for landing there in the first place. Sheesh...... :roll:

It may take a while, but we'll all come to realize that we can only blame ourselves. We knew this could happen, and it was preventable... that's all there is to say.
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby Terry » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:00 pm

Oh, Sheesh, here we go, blaming the French.

Pray-Donate-Volunteer-Blame-Cry

I personally like hearing/reading some of the blaming. It does help in venting. We are angry that the USA can't do better than this.

When the toxic dust settles, we'll find who to blame and plenty who were or weren't at fault will be sued.
Last edited by Terry on Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby MBismyPlayground » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:03 pm

JenBayles wrote:You all want someone to blame? How about the FRENCH for landing there in the first place. Sheesh...... :roll:

Actually, I don't want to blame[i] anyone. We all knew the problems and did nothing to prevent it. (not there was much we, as civilians could do) My biggest problem right now is taking care of these peoples basic needs NOW. Not tomorrow, not the next day but now.
I hear the reporters repeat things said by officials. Such as
they are on their way, they will be here in the next day,...or so
Basic needs such as water and food are absolutly neccessary for these people to survive much longer.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby SouthFloridawx » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:06 pm

sponger wrote:I blame and donate! No one is satisifed with the progress and this has become a case is mismanaged emergency response. Anyone who isnt frustrated has low standards or expectations. 2 cents

I have done the same. I am going to voluteer and I want to complain it's my right to do so. Sorry !
0 likes   

Downdraft
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby Downdraft » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:37 pm

Save the living, bury the dead and then we can all have a good cry. Thought provoking discussion help all of us vent but playing the blame game is so counter-productive.
0 likes   

wolfmmiii
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#26 Postby wolfmmiii » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:08 pm

Counter-productive to what?
0 likes   

Downdraft
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby Downdraft » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:15 pm

Counter productive to our democracy. Like it or not what so many of you seem to be advocating are the very things our constitution forbids. Everyone wants someone to bail them out in a crisis how about for once in this country people take responsibilty for themselves and be held accountable for their actions? Don't mean lady about federal intervention in your lives but scream for it when something like this happens. What can be done is being done. Some are oh so quick to blame government for the plight of these people but very few have the intestinal fortitude to lay the blame where it really belongs with the people themselves.
0 likes   

kevin

#28 Postby kevin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:18 pm

,n
0 likes   

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#29 Postby Talon402 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:29 pm

Kudos to you, downdraft. Salient response.
0 likes   

wolfmmiii
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#30 Postby wolfmmiii » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:48 pm

Downdraft wrote:Counter productive to our democracy. Like it or not what so many of you seem to be advocating are the very things our constitution forbids. Everyone wants someone to bail them out in a crisis how about for once in this country people take responsibilty for themselves and be held accountable for their actions? Don't mean lady about federal intervention in your lives but scream for it when something like this happens. What can be done is being done. Some are oh so quick to blame government for the plight of these people but very few have the intestinal fortitude to lay the blame where it really belongs with the people themselves.

Our democracy???? Not sure how discussing blame has anything to do with democracy. No ONE party is at fault here. There is plenty of blame to go around - from the people themselves, to local govt, to federal govt, etc. All I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with discussing who is at fault, regardless of what side you take.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#31 Postby CajunMama » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:58 pm

You rant and rave your opinions but please keep in mind that there are members on this board who have lost everything. Some may not be able to handle some of the posts I have read. Blame is not going to fix this problem. You want to rant? Go in your bathroom and rant at yourself in the mirror but if you're going to rant here please be considerate of our family here that have nothing left.
0 likes   

greeng13
Category 3
Category 3

#32 Postby greeng13 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Downdraft wrote:Counter productive to our democracy. Like it or not what so many of you seem to be advocating are the very things our constitution forbids. Everyone wants someone to bail them out in a crisis how about for once in this country people take responsibilty for themselves and be held accountable for their actions? Don't mean lady about federal intervention in your lives but scream for it when something like this happens. What can be done is being done. Some are oh so quick to blame government for the plight of these people but very few have the intestinal fortitude to lay the blame where it really belongs with the people themselves.

i agree...they were told to get out (some could not afford to and that is entirely unfortunate that they did not have a choice)...but some were interviewed on bourbon st. in a bar not worried at all with full faith in the levees. tragic, horrible, deploreable, sad, horrific, incomprehensible, awe-inspiring, angering...insert adjective here...

although i will add that whether or not those people stayed or even if all of them evacuated and there were no people on rooftops, etc. it would not change the fact that one of the USA's major metroplolises is completely obliterated. there is no infrastructure, etc. that is many (millions) people who now join the unemployment lines. that is NOTtheir choice and for that perhaps the whole United Sates of America is to blame....

just a thought to ponder.

i remember last year's hurricane season...and have not really been on the message board lately except just prior to katrina's arrival...when people in other parts of the nation were placing blame on those who choose to live in hurricane prone cities. if you think about it at least a hurricane (though it causes massive amounts of destruction) does give warning. earthquakes, tornadoes, blizzards, flash floods, etc...might not have that warning and i am starting to realize that no matter where in this great country you live you will ALWAYS be susceptible to a natural disaster of some sort....so don't blame those who want a "slice of paradise"...like i said before you can blame the whole USA...because we live on this N. American continent that we share with few neighbors and most of us don't even know anything of the "outside world" let alone even our country.

that is all my venting for the day...i think[/u][/i]

edited to reform the bold, italics, and underline
0 likes   

tealandsilver
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#33 Postby tealandsilver » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:52 pm

Rest assured that there will be time for blame, but this isn't it. Place a call to your elected leaders and vent to them at the length of time it's taking to get basic supplies in to those that need them. One point of note, George Bush's latest TV appearance made him appear to us in Europe to be more concerned about the affect that Katrina has had on oil production rather than the humanitarian tragedy. This is leading to headlines in Britain such as "how can this tradegy be happening four days afterwards in the Worlds richest nation?".

Please, concentrate on saving life first, the World IS watching and DOES want to help,

God bless
0 likes   

greeng13
Category 3
Category 3

#34 Postby greeng13 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:54 pm

tealandsilver wrote:Rest assured that there will be time for blame, but this isn't it. Place a call to your elected leaders and vent to them at the length of time it's taking to get basic supplies in to those that need them. One point of note, George Bush's latest TV appearance made him appear to us in Europe to be more concerned about the affect that Katrina has had on oil production rather than the humanitarian tragedy. This is leading to headlines in Britain such as "how can this tradegy be happening four days afterwards in the Worlds richest nation?".

Please, concentrate on saving life first, the World IS watching and DOES want to help,

God bless

your help would be much appreciated unfortuntely i cannot discuss politics on this board or risk getting "the boot". a lot of the world considers us the be the riches nation...it just depends on what you value i guess. :cry:
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#35 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:00 pm

ohiostorm wrote:Yeah I totally agree. None of the bickering and pointing fingers is saving lives or getting money or help where it needs to be. If I could be down there, I would be well on my way. It sucks to be clear in Ohio feeling helpless.

Yes it does.....it feels so far away. But Cincinnati alone has raised a lot of money in a 24 hour period. I'm sure your area has as well Luke.

Mary
0 likes   

wolfmmiii
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#36 Postby wolfmmiii » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:54 pm

CajunMama wrote:You rant and rave your opinions but please keep in mind that there are members on this board who have lost everything. Some may not be able to handle some of the posts I have read. Blame is not going to fix this problem. You want to rant? Go in your bathroom and rant at yourself in the mirror but if you're going to rant here please be considerate of our family here that have nothing left.

Is this directed at me??? If people can't handle the posts, they shouldn't be reading them. Sorry to be blunt but it's the truth. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've really placed blame on anyone really.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”