Surface Trough in GOM (Is Invest 98L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Surface Trough in GOM (Is Invest 98L)

#1 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:49 am

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 AM EDT Fri Aug 12 2022

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. Northern Gulf of Mexico:
A surface trough of low pressure is developing over the
north-central Gulf of Mexico just offshore of southeastern
Louisiana. Development, if any, of this system is expected to be
slow to occur during the next couple of days as it drifts
west-southwestward over the northwestern Gulf of Mexico. Regardless
of development, locally heavy rains are possible along portions of
the Texas coast through the weekend. For more information about the
potential for heavy rainfall, please see products issued by your
local National Weather Service office and the Weather Prediction
Center.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...10 percent.

&&
For more information on the system, see products issued by the
National Weather Service at weather.gov and wpc.ncep.noaa.gov

$$
Forecaster Roberts

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#2 Postby Wampadawg » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:05 am

We have a lemon
0 likes   
Harvey,Hanna,Beta,Texas Winter storm2021,Nicholas

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Surface trough in GOM

#3 Postby jaguars_22 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:08 am

Movement of wsw could give it the time it needs to develop… one of the meso models shows this getting into the 990s…
0 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby Wampadawg » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 am

jaguars_22 wrote:Movement of wsw could give it the time it needs to develop… one of the meso models shows this getting into the 990s…

Which one?
0 likes   

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby jaguars_22 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:12 am

WRF I believe is showing more spin up…
2 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby Wampadawg » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:19 am

We need Wxman s take on this
0 likes   

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby jaguars_22 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:21 am

Wxman isn’t worried about this infant of a system :) just some rain most likely
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:23 am

Hopefully, parts of Texas get good rains from this that need it badly due to the drought there.

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby Wampadawg » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:24 am

cycloneye wrote:Hopefully, parts of Texas get good rains from this that need it badly due to the drought there.

https://i.imgur.com/TRKOT4D.gif

Amen brother amen
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:41 am

It only has about 48 hrs or so for development, we will see if it takes advantage of fairly good conditions for development before moving inland over southern TX, being steered WSW by the Heat Ridge over the southern Plains.
0 likes   

ChrisH-UK
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby ChrisH-UK » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:46 am

The WRF-ARW model has gone a bit crazy for this system. 48 hours out I doubt it's going to happen however the NAM models have perked my interest up when it's radar model showed a bit of a eye like structure but no wind to match it. As for the use of mesoscale models quite often the small scale last minute storms don't appear in the global models due to size and time scale often just disappear in the resolution.

0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:59 am

I personally hope it comes closer here, I'm under extreme drought conditions.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:04 am

Iceresistance wrote:I personally hope it comes closer here, I'm under extreme drought conditions.

I’m in an exceptional drought. First time since 2011. Ridiculous. I’ve only received about 2” of rain in the past 3 months.
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:04 am

Y’all can have it. I’ve been dealing with above average rainfall. There was some flooding yesterday for me
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:43 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Y’all can have it. I’ve been dealing with above average rainfall. There was some flooding yesterday for me

It always rains in Georgia.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#16 Postby jasons2k » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:46 am

Update from Houston Met Jeff Lindner:

Trough axis and mid level low pressure system over the northern Gulf of Mexico will drift westward over the weekend and into the lower TX coast.

Satellite images, coastal radars, and offshore buoys/oil platforms indicate an elongated trough axis that extends off the coast of TX ENE toward the MS/AL coast with scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms along this boundary. This boundary can be traced back to the “front” that moved through the area with thunderstorms on Wednesday evening. A mid level low pressure area is located over SE LA and is moving slowly westward. Over the last few days, the ICON global model has been suggesting surface low pressure may begin to develop with the mid level circulation as it moves westward over the weekend and several of the higher resolution models also show various degrees of surface low pressure formation very near the TX coast on Saturday. Overnight both the GFS and ECWMF models have also trended toward some slight formation of lowering pressures along the TX coast this weekend. While the upper level winds are favorable for development near the TX coast, it is most likely that the mid level low will not have enough time to work down toward the surface before moving inland late Saturday into Sunday between Brownsville and Corpus Christi.

The National Hurricane Center is indicating a 10% chance of development over the weekend.

With the mid/low level circulation expected to move W/WSW over the NW Gulf this weekend, it is expected that much of the shower and thunderstorm development will focus near the coast and offshore and this has been suggested by the high resolution models for the last 24 hours. With that said, areas south of I-10 will be well within the deep moisture envelope of the circulation and bands of showers and thunderstorms will be possible at nearly any time over the next 48-72 hours. Greatest chances will be near the coast with lesser chances inland to the north as high pressure and drier air begins to build southward from the northeast. Given PWS of 2.2-2.3 inches and possible cell training a quick 2-3 inches of rainfall in less than an hour will be possible, so while grounds are dry and mostly will be able to handle the rainfall, some street flooding will be possible with those rates.

Tides are already elevated along the coast due to the full moon, but have been coming in below advisory levels at high tide over the last few days. Easterly and southeasterly low level winds on the north side of the surface trough/low may bump seas up a bit over the weekend and push tides a little higher. Still think we will stay below advisory levels, but water will be way up the beaches at high tides over the weekend.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby SoupBone » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:50 am

jasons2k wrote:Update from Houston Met Jeff Lindner:

With the mid/low level circulation expected to move W/WSW over the NW Gulf this weekend, it is expected that much of the shower and thunderstorm development will focus near the coast and offshore and this has been suggested by the high resolution models for the last 24 hours. With that said, areas south of I-10 will be well within the deep moisture envelope of the circulation and bands of showers and thunderstorms will be possible at nearly any time over the next 48-72 hours. Greatest chances will be near the coast with lesser chances inland to the north as high pressure and drier air begins to build southward from the northeast. Given PWS of 2.2-2.3 inches and possible cell training a quick 2-3 inches of rainfall in less than an hour will be possible, so while grounds are dry and mostly will be able to handle the rainfall, some street flooding will be possible with those rates.

Tides are already elevated along the coast due to the full moon, but have been coming in below advisory levels at high tide over the last few days. Easterly and southeasterly low level winds on the north side of the surface trough/low may bump seas up a bit over the weekend and push tides a little higher. Still think we will stay below advisory levels, but water will be way up the beaches at high tides over the weekend.

We can't catch a break. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:09 am

Weak broad circulation clearly seen on vis sat loop this morning.

1 likes   

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

#19 Postby jaguars_22 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:52 am

Boy the Nam is getting somewhat stronger as well!
2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:59 am

NDG wrote:Weak broad circulation clearly seen on vis sat loop this morning.

https://i.imgur.com/eQpckC8.gif

Looks like land proximity is aiding curvature. Interesting.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”