Low Pressure in the Central Atlantic (Is Invest 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Low Pressure in the Central Atlantic

#501 Postby toad strangler » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:25 pm

SFLcane wrote:
blp wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Lol nearly impossible feat to keep a ridge holding for that long now a days. Shields up!

Of course a ridge can hold that long. Remember IKE in 08 that ridge drove IKE in same area west then SW through Cuba all the way to Texas. It's about the orientation and timing. If the ridge does not shift SW this thing would go through Florida and deep into the Gulf.

You know the drill this far out is it's a crap shoot. I will tell you one thing there ain't a strong trough anywhere on any of the models so the margins are small for this to easily flip next run.

I here ya! Just the usual these days it’s almost like climate change has changed something around Florida not allowing these storms to make landfall. Just one theory. Nearly 2 weeks out so lots can and will change.

Disagree 100% and I would disagree more if there was a real value larger than 100%. The longest stretch since 1850 with no hurricane strike of any strength on the FL East coast was 1850-1871. A century plus BEFORE the climate change debate.

1871 was a Martin County Cat 3 landfall. There wasn’t a landfall in South Florida until a Cat 3 into Miami / Dade in 1888. That’s THIRTY EIGHT YEARS from 185O. That streak may be much longer going back pre 1850.

You seriously need to check the facts before dragging out the modern day easy crutch of climate change.
Last edited by toad strangler on Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#502 Postby Blown Away » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:26 pm

Little surprised this area is not an invest.
5 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#503 Postby Nimbus » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:26 pm

skyline385 wrote:Still should be waiting for an actual center to form but it does look like EPS has a pretty significant shift northwards, barely any members near Cuba.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220827/d08d38e21a1b9d2fd60e4b2860cbbb8c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220827/155026732b59d193a3fb5222d9dec614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its nice to see most of the models leaving the leewards on the weak side of the storm.
Not much of a center to track yet, but there is a mesovort running NW for 15N as the sun sets today.

0 likes   

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#504 Postby Spacecoast » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:26 pm

12z Euro Operational + EPS
Thin black is ensemble mean, (which has less acute turn)....
0 likes   

Cachondo23
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#505 Postby Cachondo23 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:30 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Here's what we know about the models after the 12z Cycle.

Now that the CMC has jumped on board with the development of this system, it's now safe to say that there is complete model consistency with the development of this system into a Tropical Cyclone within the next 2-7 days
The general direction of the system will eventually start moving WNW from due West in 2-4 days, avoiding direct impact on the Leeward Islands

But here are the uncertainties with this system.

The Strength and intensity of this system, the 12z GFS model shows a weaker system compared to the Euro and ICON.
The strength of the Bermuda Ridge is a huge factor in the directional movement of the storm since a weaker system will curve around it, avoiding land completely while a much stronger storm will deviate further west, threatening landmasses such as the Bahamas, Florida, and possibly the gulf coast or the East Coast depending on where it will go.
The SE ridge may develop and force the storm to move away from it, avoiding impacts to Florida.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

How sure it will avoid any of the Leeward Islands? I think the area of Anguilla and Anegada could have impacts according to models today.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#506 Postby aspen » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:31 pm

Nimbus wrote:
skyline385 wrote:Still should be waiting for an actual center to form but it does look like EPS has a pretty significant shift northwards, barely any members near Cuba.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220827/d08d38e21a1b9d2fd60e4b2860cbbb8c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220827/155026732b59d193a3fb5222d9dec614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its nice to see most of the models leaving the leewards on the weak side of the storm.
Not much of a center to track yet, but there is a mesovort running NW for 15N as the sun sets today.

https://i.imgur.com/hl7kRbV.gif

It’s gone from two distinct competing area of convection and spin, to one strong area of vorticity with a large spin and no separate convective lobes. Still a ways to go but an improvement from 48 hours ago.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#507 Postby SFLcane » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:40 pm

toad strangler wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
blp wrote:
Of course a ridge can hold that long. Remember IKE in 08 that ridge drove IKE in same area west then SW through Cuba all the way to Texas. It's about the orientation and timing. If the ridge does not shift SW this thing would go through Florida and deep into the Gulf.

You know the drill this far out is it's a crap shoot. I will tell you one thing there ain't a strong trough anywhere on any of the models so the margins are small for this to easily flip next run.

I here ya! Just the usual these days it’s almost like climate change has changed something around Florida not allowing these storms to make landfall. Just one theory. Nearly 2 weeks out so lots can and will change.

Disagree 100% and I would disagree more if there was a real value larger than 100%. The longest stretch since 1850 with no hurricane strike of any strength on the FL East coast was 1850-1871. A century plus BEFORE the climate change debate.

1871 was a Martin County Cat 3 landfall. There wasn’t a landfall in South Florida until a Cat 3 into Miami / Dade in 1888. That’s THIRTY EIGHT YEARS from 185O. That streak may be much longer going back pre 1850.

You seriously need to check the facts before dragging out the modern day easy crutch of climate change.

I am just still spoiled from busy seasons 04,05. :lol:
4 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#508 Postby chaser1 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:40 pm

gatorcane wrote:JMA also has the ridge building SW over Florida. With the Euro and CMC also showing this it certainly is possible:

https://i.postimg.cc/7PVDYfFV/jma-z500a-Norm-atl-fh120-192.gif

Not sure how I see that happening. Look at last night's 0Z EURO 500mb heights. Solid E. Coast ridging but no indication of 594mb heights. Then look and compare that to the EURO 12Z's stronger 594 heights over E. Carolina beginning at 162 hr. through 186 hr.s. In spite of 594 heights waning at that point, I see no new weakness or directional flow change adequate enough to degradate the SE CONUS ridge that is in place. I guess we'll see if future EURO runs continue to build E. Coast heights or deepen some southwest reaching "grab n go" trough instead. So many other variables at play too like timing and location of actual genesis or a forward motion between now and then that's any bit faster than the forecast crawl. Anyway, just to highlight the game of inches at play though, take that same storm at perhaps 198hrs and place it just north of Haiti instead. Given the building ridge over Florida, that might just be the difference between a one-way trans-Atlantic cruise and potential Danielle favoring a two-day Lauderdale Pub-crawl/Vero Beach Outlet trip instead.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#509 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:51 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#510 Postby wxman57 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:56 pm

NHC is gradually moving their "X" to the main feature that they had not identified yesterday. This system could be a TS when it nears the NE Caribbean islands next Friday. Most models indicate a grazing event with little or no impact, but nothing is certain. Models are also indicating that a cold front may move off the East U.S. Coast next Tuesday ahead of the possible storm in the Bahamas. That would provide a weakness for it to turn north. Southeast U.S. is definitely under the gun, though. I don't see this being a Gulf threat.
18 likes   

LCfromFL
Category 1
Category 1

#511 Postby LCfromFL » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:12 pm

tolakram wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Taking a closer look at the euro data from what i see the ridge is clearly protecting Florida in this case hence recurves on the eps. Path of least resistance is NE away from Florida. Could meander in the Bahamas like Dorian.

https://i.postimg.cc/SRfrJX1b/EFE3-F495-8278-469-C-9-AEB-9-ED893-B480-D1.jpg

I feel like the chance to hit Florida is always pretty low, but looking at past storms in this area at this timeframe, and even a week from now, we've had storms supposed to recurve go into the gulf, storms headed for the gulf suddenly recurve, and storms supposed to hit Florida stall or recurve slowly. The upper air forecasts past 5 days are just not reliable, so it's pure fantasy at this point. My bet IF this gets into the Bahamas is that it will be a nail biter until the last few days, similar to Dorian.

Dorian was such a nail-biter here in NE FL! My daughter's wedding was 9.1.19 and Dorian was NOT on the guest list! So many out-of-town guests decided not to make the trip (who could blame them with a Cat 5 storm breathing down on us?) So much uncertainty! Thankfully Dorian stayed away and we had some nice breezes (nothing too crazy) for the wedding.
2 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#512 Postby aspen » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:19 pm

This has 96 hours left to become a named storm before August ends up as an unprecedented (for a La Niña year) 0/0/0 and 0 ACE. Seeing how it’s improved in just half that time, a TS before 00z September 1st is possible. It has a good chance of shooting this season’s ACE up from absolutely pathetic to near-average for this time of year. A track like the Euro with development in 3-5 days could theoretically yield a 30-40+ ACE major.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#513 Postby Sciencerocks » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:30 pm

3 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#514 Postby psyclone » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:30 pm

This looks like a systems likely to develop and perhaps significantly. Looks like a future hurricane. Hopefully we finally have some storms to track..
3 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#515 Postby tropicwatch » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:04 pm

It seems like the first part of the year they were quick to issue an Invest tag. Now it seems they are waiting a lot longer. :roll:
1 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#516 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:10 pm

Cachondo23 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Here's what we know about the models after the 12z Cycle.

Now that the CMC has jumped on board with the development of this system, it's now safe to say that there is complete model consistency with the development of this system into a Tropical Cyclone within the next 2-7 days
The general direction of the system will eventually start moving WNW from due West in 2-4 days, avoiding direct impact on the Leeward Islands

But here are the uncertainties with this system.

The Strength and intensity of this system, the 12z GFS model shows a weaker system compared to the Euro and ICON.
The strength of the Bermuda Ridge is a huge factor in the directional movement of the storm since a weaker system will curve around it, avoiding land completely while a much stronger storm will deviate further west, threatening landmasses such as the Bahamas, Florida, and possibly the gulf coast or the East Coast depending on where it will go.
The SE ridge may develop and force the storm to move away from it, avoiding impacts to Florida.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

How sure it will avoid any of the Leeward Islands? I think the area of Anguilla and Anegada could have impacts according to models today.

Direct impacts may be avoided unless the system refuses to start lifting more to the north.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#517 Postby SFLcane » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:17 pm

Afternoon Eps shifted north might see op with a sharper recurve tonight.
1 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#518 Postby AutoPenalti » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:21 pm

SFLcane wrote:Afternoon Eps shifted north might see op with a sharper recurve tonight.

Great news for SFL, not so much for others….
1 likes   

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#519 Postby kevin » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:29 pm

I know most (if not all) users here already know this, but just because the trend is more recurve-heavy now doesn't mean SFL or any area in particular is 'safe'. We don't even have an official invest yet, let alone a storm. Let's hope it becomes a fish storm like Sam, but at the same time prepare for the worst. It might sound a bit dramatic, but it's always better to be safe than sorry, especially during the climatological peak of hurricane season. If you haven't gotten your prep kits in order now is the time.
Last edited by kevin on Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#520 Postby Frank P » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:29 pm

Looking at that sat presentation the most impressive feature to me is the activity in the GOM. Haha… I love back yard systems!
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”