Low Pressure in the Central Atlantic (Is Invest 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Low Pressure in the Central Atlantic

#481 Postby pgoss11 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:02 pm

That’s a pretty sharp right hand turn
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#482 Postby skyline385 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:02 pm

If this recurves like the Euro is showing then the GFS got it right way ahead of everyone else even with the Gulf cane.
0 likes   

cane5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#483 Postby cane5 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:03 pm

cane5 wrote:This does not look good ..too close to South Florida.

That’s the craziest graphic I’ve seen doesn’t look real !
0 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#484 Postby AtlanticWind » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:04 pm

SouthFLTropics wrote:
AtlanticWind wrote:We have to remember this is modeling 9 to 10 days out, just not that reliable that far out.

This is a very valid point. Way too early in the game to know what may or may not happen in 10 days.

I would even say this is not the way it will likely unfold , there will likely be changes when
this forms.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#485 Postby SFLcane » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:05 pm

Lol nearly impossible feat to keep a ridge holding for that long now a days. Shields up!
1 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#486 Postby Blown Away » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:06 pm

No way abrupt stop and NE turn at that latitude.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#487 Postby SFLcane » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:09 pm

Blown Away wrote:[url]https://i.postimg.cc/FFdHckCk/floop-ecmwf-full-2022082712-sfcwind-mslp-watl.gif [/url]

Certainly possible ridge is protecting florida right there and path of lease resistance is NE.
1 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#488 Postby skyline385 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:11 pm

Blown Away wrote:[url]https://i.postimg.cc/FFdHckCk/floop-ecmwf-full-2022082712-sfcwind-mslp-watl.gif [/url]

GFS has been showing this for several runs now and both the GEFS and EPS had several members doing a sharp turn around the Bahamas. It is still too early but is most definitely a possibility with a ridge budling up over Florida.

4 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#489 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:14 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:

How common do storms actually do that, where they recurve at such an acute angle? :lol:

Dorian did something very similar. So it isn't all that uncommon. Then again, Dorian was quite the unrealistic storm.
1 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#490 Postby toad strangler » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:15 pm

I barely trust 500mb maps out 72 hours let alone Alice In Wonderland timeframes of plus 200 :roll:
2 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#491 Postby AtlanticWind » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:15 pm

Just too many variables at this point, when does the system form, where does it form, how quickly it
intensifies.
Also you can see the differences in every model run on the upper air pattern at these long ranges.

It is fun to watch the modeling out in 5+ days but should be taken with a grain of salt.

Honesty this could turn out to sea well before bahamas or continue west thru the straits of florida
into the gulf and all the possibilities between .
Last edited by AtlanticWind on Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#492 Postby Blown Away » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:25 pm

skyline385 wrote:

GFS has been showing this for several runs now and both the GEFS and EPS had several members doing a sharp turn around the Bahamas. It is still too early but is most definitely a possibility with a ridge budling up over Florida.

https://i.imgur.com/TShXVj3.png

Weather patterns get very complex in the W Atl during Sept as we transition from summer to fall. Stalling, looping, and sharp NE turns not uncommon in long range modeling with W moving systems into the Bahamas area. As we move closer in time we will see stronger HP and W movement or a smoother recurve in the models, not stop then NE.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#493 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:26 pm

Here's what we know about the models after the 12z Cycle.

Now that the CMC has jumped on board with the development of this system, it's now safe to say that there is complete model consistency with the development of this system into a Tropical Cyclone within the next 2-7 days
The general direction of the system will eventually start moving WNW from due West in 2-4 days, avoiding direct impact on the Leeward Islands

But here are the uncertainties with this system.

The Strength and intensity of this system, the 12z GFS model shows a weaker system compared to the Euro and ICON.
The strength of the Bermuda Ridge is a huge factor in the directional movement of the storm since a weaker system will curve around it, avoiding land completely while a much stronger storm will deviate further west, threatening landmasses such as the Bahamas, Florida, and possibly the gulf coast or the East Coast depending on where it will go.
The SE ridge may develop and force the storm to move away from it, avoiding impacts to Florida.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.
Last edited by Iceresistance on Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#494 Postby gatorcane » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:30 pm

JMA also has the ridge building SW over Florida. With the Euro and CMC also showing this it certainly is possible:

2 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#495 Postby skyline385 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:33 pm

Blown Away wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

Weather patterns get very complex in the W Atl during Sept as we transition from summer to fall. Stalling, looping, and sharp NE turns not uncommon in long range modeling with W moving systems into the Bahamas area. As we move closer in time we will see stronger HP and W movement or a smoother recurve in the models, not stop then NE.

Gert 1981 - very similar path to what the Euro is predicting and around the same time frame

2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#496 Postby chaser1 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:55 pm

12Z Euro still steadfast on it's forecast to deepen the disturbance (presently around 40W) as it approaches and moves just north of P.R. Only difference between new new 12Z rolling out now and last night's 0Z is a slightly deeper storm with indication of even higher 500mb heights building along the Central US seaboard. At 192 hr. motion remains slowwww and gradually become more westerly with pressures down to 990 mb.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#497 Postby blp » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:00 pm

SFLcane wrote:Lol nearly impossible feat to keep a ridge holding for that long now a days. Shields up!

Of course a ridge can hold that long. Remember IKE in 08 that ridge drove IKE in same area west then SW through Cuba all the way to Texas. It's about the orientation and timing. If the ridge does not shift SW this thing would go through Florida and deep into the Gulf.

You know the drill this far out is it's a crap shoot. I will tell you one thing there ain't a strong trough anywhere on any of the models so the margins are small for this to easily flip next run.
6 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#498 Postby Blown Away » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:08 pm

skyline385 wrote:
Blown Away wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

Gert 1981 - very similar path to what the Euro is predicting and around the same time frame

https://i.imgur.com/N9hCYc5.png

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#499 Postby SFLcane » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:09 pm

blp wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Lol nearly impossible feat to keep a ridge holding for that long now a days. Shields up!

Of course a ridge can hold that long. Remember IKE in 08 that ridge drove IKE in same area west then SW through Cuba all the way to Texas. It's about the orientation and timing. If the ridge does not shift SW this thing would go through Florida and deep into the Gulf.

You know the drill this far out is it's a crap shoot. I will tell you one thing there ain't a strong trough anywhere on any of the models so the margins are small for this to easily flip next run.

I here ya! Just the usual these days it’s almost like climate change has changed something around Florida not allowing these storms to make landfall. Just one theory. Nearly 2 weeks out so lots can and will change.
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#500 Postby skyline385 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:13 pm

Still should be waiting for an actual center to form but it does look like EPS has a pretty significant shift northwards, barely any members near Cuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”