Area in the Northwestern Caribbean Sea

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tropical Wave in the Eastern Caribbean

#361 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:24 am

Latest CMC develops this... In the EPAC :D
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#362 Postby N2FSU » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:45 am

6z GFS shifts east again Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#363 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:42 am

8 AM TWO:

Eastern Caribbean Sea:
A trough of low pressure located over the eastern Caribbean Sea is
producing minimal shower and thunderstorm activity. This system is
expected to move westward at about 15 mph during the next several
days, and environmental conditions could become more conducive for
slow development by early next week when it moves across the central
and western Caribbean Sea.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

UTSARoadrunner4
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#364 Postby UTSARoadrunner4 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:43 am

N2FSU wrote:6z GFS shifts east again https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220826/14ffdd1573e3d91088c5237bae17d46e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ida Part 2?!?

Anyways, I’m guessing stable, dry air is the only inhibiting factor. I wish I knew how to post screenshots, but I just looked at the Deep Layer Wind Shear map and shear is minimal for most of the Caribbean, with a bubble of moderate shear between the Yucatán, Cuba, and Honduras.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#365 Postby SFLcane » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:01 am

wxman57 wrote:
SoupBone wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:Looking at the 850mb vort, it kind of looks to me like the main vort goes straight W into CA but then merges with another vort that somehow appears S of Jamaica before entering the gulf and exploding into a major. Seems pretty fishy to me.

If something does manage to get in the gulf though it'll be dangerous but I really can't trust the GFS right now considering how bad its been

Yeah that's what wxman was talking about earlier. Regardless, it shows a TexMex major on this run.

I still don't believe the GFS for a second. Modelcane.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#366 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:17 am

The GFS is still all alone with the solution of another piece of energy following this TW after developing near Cuba past its 120 hr range forecast.
All models show this TW crashing into C.A. including the GFS.
Watch the GFS start dropping development once it starts getting within its 120 hr forecast
2 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#367 Postby SoupBone » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:19 am

NDG wrote:The GFS is still all alone with the solution of another piece of energy following this TW after developing near Cuba past its 120 hr range forecast.
Watch the GFS start dropping development once it starts getting within its 120 hr forecast

If there is one certainty in all of this, it's that either the GFS is going to be crowned King, or it is going to spectacularly crash and look pretty pathetic in all of this.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#368 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:22 am

SoupBone wrote:
NDG wrote:The GFS is still all alone with the solution of another piece of energy following this TW after developing near Cuba past its 120 hr range forecast.

If there is one certainty in all of this, it's that either the GFS is going to be crowned King, or it is going to spectacularly crash and look pretty pathetic in all of this.

It already looks bad with this particular TW, just 4-5 days ago it was showing this TW developing into a TS in the eastern Caribbean.
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#369 Postby aspen » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:26 am

It’s suspiciously close to where the AOI will be in 5 days, so either this is the hardest it’s trying to cover up a phantom as a legit TC, or it’s going to be right for like the second time this season. The first time was showing Bonnie’s precursor at a lower latitude than the Euro.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#370 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:27 am

Euro ensembles support for development continue to drop in the NW Caribbean/GOM.

I wouldn't call this good support by the GFS ensembles of its operational run.

2 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#371 Postby USTropics » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:10 am

While the GFS has consistently show this system developing, it's entirely dependent on vorticity concentrating towards the NE near Jamaica in 120 hours as the mean wave axis crashes into Central America.

Meanwhile, the ECMWF has also been persistent (and most other global models sans the ICON for some runs) in not developing this area. Valid at the same forecast hour, the 00z ECMWF has the wave axis a bit further west and no vorticity associated anywhere in the central Caribbean.

A few reasons to be skeptical:
(1) this is a known area to have false positives in both the v16 GFS (operational) and v15 GFS (ensembles):

(2) The GFS is having issues resolving the trough off the east coast/subtropics. The ULL it spawns undercuts the ridging, and this seems to slow down the wave axis and favor vorticity on the northern flank. You can see this in the last 4 run trend:

Is it dynamically possible for this outcome to happen? Absolutely, but it requires a lot of moving pieces to occur simultaneously, and until other models forecast this I'm skeptical the GFS is exhibiting some biases here.
5 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#372 Postby SFLcane » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:45 am

USTropics wrote:While the GFS has consistently show this system developing, it's entirely dependent on vorticity concentrating towards the NE near Jamaica in 120 hours as the mean wave axis crashes into Central America.
https://i.imgur.com/277AGKv.png

Meanwhile, the ECMWF has also been persistent (and most other global models sans the ICON for some runs) in not developing this area. Valid at the same forecast hour, the 00z ECMWF has the wave axis a bit further west and no vorticity associated anywhere in the central Caribbean.
https://i.imgur.com/OgpVHWV.png

A few reasons to be skeptical:
(1) this is a known area to have false positives in both the v16 GFS (operational) and v15 GFS (ensembles):
https://i.imgur.com/EZN2mCF.png

(2) The GFS is having issues resolving the trough off the east coast/subtropics. The ULL it spawns undercuts the ridging, and this seems to slow down the wave axis and favor vorticity on the northern flank. You can see this in the last 4 run trend:
https://i.imgur.com/nq5gKoC.gif

Is it dynamically possible for this outcome to happen? Absolutely, but it requires a lot of moving pieces to occur simultaneously, and until other models forecast this I'm skeptical the GFS is exhibiting some biases here.

GFS has been correcting some.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#373 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:49 am

Either the GFS is now the best model ever, developing this monster hurricane when no other model hints at it, or it's just another modelcane.
6 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#374 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:50 am

The GFS is now developing the original vorticity in the EPAC. The second part that splits off and becomes a major in the GOM is still a big question.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#375 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:53 am

wxman57 wrote:Either the GFS is now the best model ever, developing this monster hurricane when no other model hints at it, or it's just another modelcane.

I will say this, either way ( or whatever becomes of any of this), it is a good time to make sure your supplies are in order, your kit is stocked and you have your plans in place. It is that time of the year. :)
7 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#376 Postby SoupBone » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:01 am

Kingarabian wrote:The GFS is now developing the original vorticity in the EPAC. The second part that splits off and becomes a major in the GOM is still a big question.

From USTropics' post and from wxman, it's an area that is known to generate false alarm storms. I wonder if an EPAC system ends up happening when this is all said and done. :D
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#377 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:24 am

While I will admit, I have seen the gfs spin up a lot of false storms in this manner of formation, I think I remember that Ida last year formed in a fairly similar way. If its solution actually does verify, I’m not even sure I could credit the model, so much as say the blind squirrel finally found another nut.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#378 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:56 am

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#379 Postby aspen » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:58 am

Yet another GFS run with a Laura or Ida wannabe in the Gulf next week. Development starts just 4 days from now.

If this is a phantom, it sure is trying its hardest to convince us it’s not.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#380 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:58 am

Mean Cat 4 on the 12z GFS, 937mb. Still looks pretty suspect though
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”