ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ENSO Updates: BoM has not declared yet officially El Niño

#13561 Postby LarryWx » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:26 pm

wxman57 wrote:I believe that El Nino conditions must persist for a full 3 months before an El Nino is declared.

But the CPC already declared it last month, which was earlier than I expected:

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... disc.shtml
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#13562 Postby wxman57 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:15 pm

LarryWx wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I believe that El Nino conditions must persist for a full 3 months before an El Nino is declared.

That website looks like they issued an El Nino advisory, that the warm temperatures would continue through the summer. It didn't say the current status has reached the El Nino classification level.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#13563 Postby LarryWx » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:20 pm

wxman57 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

That website looks like they issued an El Nino advisory, that the warm temperatures would continue through the summer. It didn't say the current status has reached the El Nino classification level.

Isn't this them saying there was already a weak El Niño?

"In June, a weak El Niño was associated with above-average sea surface temperatures (SSTs) across the equatorial Pacific Ocean."
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#13564 Postby Ntxw » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:27 pm

CPC criteria is SSTA trimonthly. AMJ was 0.5C enough for El Nino threshold is likely why they declared with some confidence by their metric. For sure MJJ will, those months have passed. Now if you're talking atmospheric response that's another story.

Retroactively you need 5 consecutive trimonthly in a database, but for the purpose of advisory, warnings that wouldn't make sense to wait that long after it has already occurred.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ENSO Updates

#13565 Postby dexterlabio » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:17 pm

Just curious, was there a weak El Nino where the atmospheric coupling was undebatable? 2006 maybe?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#13566 Postby Ntxw » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:27 pm

dexterlabio wrote:Just curious, was there a weak El Nino where the atmospheric coupling was undebatable? 2006 maybe?

MEI is a decent proxy to use. Also depends on when we're looking at. For early in the season it's not likely to happen prior to July for the weak events. 1994-1995 was probably the best case borderline moderate.

https://psl.noaa.gov/enso/mei/
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13567 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:35 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#13568 Postby wxman57 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:43 am

LarryWx wrote:

"In June, a weak El Niño was associated with above-average sea surface temperatures (SSTs) across the equatorial Pacific Ocean."

I think that they mean weak El Nino temperatures. There was no El Nino in June, if it takes 3 consecutive months of temperature anomalies of 0.5C or greater.
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#13569 Postby dexterlabio » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:01 pm

^I'm sorry but I thought Nino 3.4 has been hitting >= 0.5C since April? So that makes June the third consecutive month with El Nino temp reading.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#13570 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:30 pm

wxman57 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

I think that they mean weak El Nino temperatures. There was no El Nino in June, if it takes 3 consecutive months of temperature anomalies of 0.5C or greater.

An El Niño advisory has long been understood as a declaration of El Niño, or the presence of El Niño conditions, in this forum and by the media. Hence the headlines catch on to it.

The official NOAA website confirms it.
https://www.weather.gov/news/230706-ElNino
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#13571 Postby Ntxw » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:34 pm

OLR anomalies 10N/10S for the past few months shows the La Nina lingering influence. However that is in the process of changing. You can see the gradual shift of -OLR progressing from the MC towards the dateline, which prior was heavily sinking motion. As it shifts from the IDL east, will favor coupling of the El Nino background state.

4 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13572 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:40 pm

This is only my opinion based upon decades of weather watching, there is little chance we get a greatly above-average Hurricane Season as predicted if El Nino keeps developing.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13573 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:41 am

ENSO is compromised of the ocean and atmosphere. So if one or the other isn't in sync then it should be declared "neutral" until there's a full cooperation. In 2019, the CPC refused to call El Nino, even though the atmosphere was behaving like El Nino because the ocean response was underwhelming. I do believe the atmosphere will eventually get there but I think the same criteria should apply here.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13574 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:49 am

Kingarabian wrote:ENSO is compromised of the ocean and atmosphere. So if one or the other isn't in sync then it should be declared "neutral" until there's a full cooperation. In 2019, the CPC refused to call El Nino, even though the atmosphere was behaving like El Nino because the ocean response was underwhelming. I do believe the atmosphere will eventually get there but I think the same criteria should apply here.

ENSO at Neutral right now is your take?
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13575 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:54 am

1 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#13576 Postby dexterlabio » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:24 am

Kingarabian wrote:ENSO is compromised of the ocean and atmosphere. So if one or the other isn't in sync then it should be declared "neutral" until there's a full cooperation. In 2019, the CPC refused to call El Nino, even though the atmosphere was behaving like El Nino because the ocean response was underwhelming. I do believe the atmosphere will eventually get there but I think the same criteria should apply here.

I must say El Nino's prediction has become too complicated nowadays. Before, we were just looking at the SSTs in the Nino regions, or the coastal waters of Ecuador and Peru, which is where El Nino's very name comes from. It is a warm phase of the equatorial Pacific Ocean. Perhaps this is the same reason why 2019 wasn't declared an El Nino because this criterion wasn't met.

I know there are also atmospheric factors at play and apparently, SST configuration in other parts of the globe (PDO, AMO) matters in the El Nino status, but I guess when the Nino regions are anomalously warm, then we should call it what it is.
0 likes   

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#13577 Postby zzzh » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:28 pm

Latest ONI up to 0.8. Let's see what the MEI shows.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13578 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:32 pm

zzzh wrote:Latest ONI up to 0.8. Let's see what the MEI shows.

When does MEI has the next update?
0 likes   

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#13579 Postby zzzh » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:07 pm

:uarrow: Usually on the 5th. No later than 10th.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#13580 Postby LarryWx » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:55 pm

1) The July OISST for 3.4 based on averaging the dailies calculated to be +1.10.

2) The July ERSST for 3.4, which is direct input into ONI, was just released and was +1.00. So, ERSST continues to come in slightly cooler than OISST in 3.4, which has been the case since December of 2022.

3) The MJJ ONI (ERSST based) was calculated to be/released at +0.77.

4) The MJJ RONI was released at +0.33. That means MJJ RONI was 0.44 cooler than MJJ ONI.

5) RONI-ONI: trending down since JJA of 2022, when it was only -0.01. Here are them since DJF:

DJF: -0.14

JFM: -0.17

FMA: -0.26

MAM: -0.34

AMJ: -0.41

MJJ: -0.44
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”