More evidence of el nino weakening

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

More evidence of el nino weakening

#1 Postby cycloneye » Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:30 pm

http://weather.unisys.com/archive/sst/sst_anom_loop.gif

This loop shows that the warm sopt in el nino 3-4 is getting more smaller and the cool waters off southamerica is getting larger.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Rainband

#2 Postby Rainband » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:36 pm

Thanks cyc. I actually figured it was weakening too, not because I am a weather expert. :lol: :lol: I leave that to you and the others. Just because we started our winter extremely wet and then poof no more rain. In elnino winters we get lots of it. :wink: So this might have started as an elnino winter but faded fast :)
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby mf_dolphin » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:28 pm

It's going to be interesting to see if neutral or la Nina conditions develop as we get closer to the start of the season. If only we had a crystal ball :lol:
0 likes   

Rainband

#4 Postby Rainband » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:36 pm

I say LaNina but just a gut feeling not an expert opinion :wink:
0 likes   

Anonymous

#5 Postby Anonymous » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:44 pm

Sea surface temperatures in the central and western Pacific are still slightly warmer than average. As a result, you can still expect somewhat of an El Nino like pattern. The subtropical jet is expected to make a comeback over the next few days, bringing some much needed rain to parts of the southeast.

It's going to be interesting to see if neutral or la Nina conditions develop as we get closer to the start of the season. If only we had a crystal ball

As supercane and I posted in our last two preliminary updates, we strongly believe that at least weak La Nina conditions will be present by the peak of the 2003 hurricane season.
0 likes   

Rainband

#6 Postby Rainband » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:03 pm

Off subject; but do you think, the fact that florida has been lucky for so long ,increases our chances of a cane? If so explain thanks :wink:
0 likes   

Anonymous

#7 Postby Anonymous » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:57 pm

rainband wrote:Off subject; but do you think, the fact that florida has been lucky for so long ,increases our chances of a cane? If so explain thanks :wink:

Being overdue for a hurricane shouldn't change your chances for a major hurricane IMO. If the factors look to support a better chance of a FL hurricane in a year, then thats that; you're at a greater chance. Regardless of being overdue or not. For instance, lets get back to the subject of offseason storms. The truth is, we are well overdue for an offseason TC in the Atlantic basin. But now if it looks like the conditions are going to be too hostile in a particular offseason, than just that decreases the chance of an offseason storm that year.
0 likes   

Rainband

#8 Postby Rainband » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:03 pm

As always, thanks for the information :wink: Keep us informed 8)
0 likes   

The_Cycloman_PR
Category 1
Category 1

ENSO thoughs

#9 Postby The_Cycloman_PR » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:05 pm

:lol: Hello Cycloneye! This is your old friend Cycloman...

Hello everyone on the board.

Just like you I am observing ENSO conditions and proyections already and agree that we'll see the begining of a cooling tendency of El nino during the next months into a neutral conditions/weak la nina during next summer-fall making this a posible enhancing factor for Atlantic hurricane activity during next season. We are still on February, 3 months untill the begining of the 2003 season, so we have enough time to study and observe ENSO to reach better conclusions before june 1rst.

Just like El nino, there are other factors that influence cyclogenesis in the Atlantic and need to be observed and studied too, so I will continue my research on this matter and just like you and the great forecasters on this exelent website, will have my own complete review and forecast for next season by the months of April/May. Until then, keep up the good work!

I hope everyone had a great christmas time and survived the cold :)

Greetings!!

Cycloman.

Note...I am terribly sorry for the good people of Space Shuttle Columbia and hope their souls rest in peace...Also prey for them and hope for peace for their families.
0 likes   

Rainband

#10 Postby Rainband » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:16 pm

Welcome back Cycloman, thanks for the input and your kind thoughts on the columbia crew and families :wink: Hope you had happy holidays also :D
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#11 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:06 am

Welcome back Cycloman and from now on let's work on the anaylisis of the factors that will guide what will the 2003 season will be.

I will colaborate with you on anything you may ask and about my forecast it will come out at may 1. :D
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

Welcome Back!

#12 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:33 pm

Great to see you Cycloman! The clocks ticking down to the hurricane season :D
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”