Not just war stuff on cnn site

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Not just war stuff on cnn site

#1 Postby BreinLa » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:28 pm

FORT COLLINS, Colorado (AP) -- The 2003 Atlantic hurricane season is expected to be twice as severe as last year, forecasters said.

:rarrow: http://www.cnn.com/2003/WEATHER/04/05/h ... index.html
0 likes   

Anonymous

#2 Postby Anonymous » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:31 pm

Gray always gets a lot of attention in April and May. In case you missed the detailed discussion...

http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu/fo ... april2003/
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby chadtm80 » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:34 pm

Look familar bre?????????????
0 likes   

Kevin_Wx

#4 Postby Kevin_Wx » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:36 pm

That's typical media hype there! Although I think that season is worthy of some "punchlines", consider how CNN got that statement. William Gray did not say "The 2003 hurricane season will be severe," although factors do point to a strong hurricane season. Instead, the CNN editor said "Twice as severe as last year with twice as many hurricanes." Just because there will likely be twice as many (or more) hurricanes this season than last does not mean you can call the season severe. What percentage of the hurricanes this year that DO make landfall will determine whether the season is severe or not. Reminds me of the hype the 2000 season saw.
0 likes   

Anonymous

#5 Postby Anonymous » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:37 pm

The media hypes the season almost every year. If it isn't the hurricanes, its El Nino.
0 likes   

Kevin_Wx

#6 Postby Kevin_Wx » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:42 pm

Hell, if the media had their way, last year would have been the strongest El Nino ever observed to man! :roll:

Man, they are really going to have fun with the 5-day forecasts this year! 2003 will see a record amount of wishcasting. Bet on it!
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7 Postby cycloneye » Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:12 am

Kevin I agree iwth you on the point of big wishcasting this season due to the 5 day forecast.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#8 Postby BreinLa » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:47 am

Yea CHAD it looks familiar sheeesh lol
0 likes   

bfez1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Meraux--10 mi E of New Orleans-totally destroyed by Katrina

#9 Postby bfez1 » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:34 am

Oh yes,I remember it well :lol:
0 likes   

#10 Postby Guest » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:22 am

Media or no media - the season is fast approaching and time to get the masses attention to monitor and prepare for this feats of mother nature.

My quesition will it be an early or late season for the majority of the tropical activity?

PMH
0 likes   

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

Just Read the Forecast From Gray

#11 Postby Steve H. » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:08 pm

I finally got to read the forecast from Gray, though I still need to digest some things. He has thrown out the West African rainfall factor, but has not considered the Caribbean SLPA into his schema which looks to be another + up! All in all he alludes to the possibility that he may be underestimating this years activity, but will hold the line on the forecast. He states "We do not feel that our statistical scheme fully accounts for all the positive environmental conditions that will likely be in place." HHMMM, and these analog years produced the likes of Mitch. I have to read into this a bit more, but I feel that the Cape Verde season could be active as well. There are a lot of positive factors for this season. Let's see what data and patterns that we see are/aren't on track with his thinking during the next few months. Forget CNN, they will twist any number they can. If there was one hurricane last year , they would still say 2003 will be twice as deadly, but Joe Schmoe wouldn't remember last year. Cheers!!
0 likes   

photopete
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#12 Postby photopete » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:58 pm

Well, if only two hurricanes hit the US coastline this comming season then is essence, it will be twice as busy. The media hypes the news, that is their business. They (media) want you to take time out of your important day to watch or listen to them. Headlines draw in the viewers, up go the ratings, more advertisment dollars. But, considering that only one hurricane has struck the US in three years I think the US is long overdue for a series of hurricanes. Of course, this is just a gut felling I have. Mother Nature has her ways of balancing her numbers.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#13 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:39 am

We get our (tropical) weather information from the media... they let us know what we may expect and then follow and discuss the issues here. Media hype has a negative connotation, I wish it didn't.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”