2024 Indicators: SST's, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability (Day 16+ Climate Models)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#1061 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat May 25, 2024 1:18 pm

Somewhat surprisingly for a season of this setup, the North Atlantic will likely have its latest start since 2014. It appears very unlikely we will see any development for the rest of May, and the start of June is probably too early as well.

I do think there's a very good chance June has a storm or two, though. It's not too surprising we'll probably go all of May without a storm to be honest; first year Niña seasons coming off a significant Niño often start relatively slow and tend to be more backloaded.
6 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#1062 Postby NotSparta » Sat May 25, 2024 5:07 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Somewhat surprisingly for a season of this setup, the North Atlantic will likely have its latest start since 2014. It appears very unlikely we will see any development for the rest of May, and the start of June is probably too early as well.

I do think there's a very good chance June has a storm or two, though. It's not too surprising we'll probably go all of May without a storm to be honest; first year Niña seasons coming off a significant Niño often start relatively slow and tend to be more backloaded.

The cooler subtropics are hurting a lot of the usual early activity we've gotten accustomed to

The Atlantic right now:

6 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1063 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat May 25, 2024 5:28 pm

NotSparta wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:Somewhat surprisingly for a season of this setup, the North Atlantic will likely have its latest start since 2014. It appears very unlikely we will see any development for the rest of May, and the start of June is probably too early as well.

The cooler subtropics are hurting a lot of the usual early activity we've gotten accustomed to

The Atlantic right now:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/DJ_Khaled_Suffering_from_Success.jpg

Hmm, maybe the Atlantic might be "sacrificing" subtropical slop with more robust deep tropical activity in the coming months?

Also as a tangent, 2024 is officially the most active tornado season since 2017. Yup, that 2017.
7 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1064 Postby AnnularCane » Sat May 25, 2024 6:24 pm

Are we still looking at high numbers even without the usual amount of subtropical development?
1 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Stratton23
Category 2
Category 2

#1065 Postby Stratton23 » Sat May 25, 2024 6:32 pm

Oh absolutely, lack of subtropical development right now doesnt mean forecast numbers will go down, alot of very busy seasons tend to start off pretty slow
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1066 Postby skyline385 » Sat May 25, 2024 7:08 pm

As others have said, the cooler subtropics are preventing early season activity and almost all of the +AMO hyperactive years have had slower starts because of this. Additionally, Blake also said a few days back that "early season named storm days before 1 August in the deep tropics east of 75W" is the only statistic which correlates to seasonal activity, nothing else has a clear direct relation.

https://x.com/EricBlake12/status/1792974186295730433

1 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1067 Postby skyline385 » Sat May 25, 2024 7:12 pm

AnnularCane wrote:Are we still looking at high numbers even without the usual amount of subtropical development?

2005 kicked off mid June and still got 28/15/7

With the La Nina strengthening in the winter and record warm temps in the Caribbean, i fully expect it to be a long drawn out season
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#1068 Postby aspen » Sat May 25, 2024 7:23 pm

NotSparta wrote:

The Atlantic right now:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/DJ_Khaled_Suffering_from_Success.jpg

So possibly similar to 2010, which didn’t have any NS until the end of June when Alex became a borderline major in the BoC. Maybe we might get a rare strong June storm towards the end of the month as well with how insanely warm the Atlantic is, but that all depends on how favorable other factors are by then.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

IsabelaWeather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1069 Postby IsabelaWeather » Sun May 26, 2024 2:23 am

Are we cancelling the season before it begins now? Its just crazy we are talking about this season lagging behind before the official start of the season. If we get nothing before Aug 1, that doesnt mean it wont have high ACE or not be impactful.
3 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#1070 Postby MetroMike » Sun May 26, 2024 6:00 pm

IsabelaWeather wrote:Are we cancelling the season before it begins now? Its just crazy we are talking about this season lagging behind before the official start of the season. If we get nothing before Aug 1, that doesnt mean it wont have high ACE or not be impactful.

I'm just glad the forum is not canceled. Had no idea there was maintanence going on today on the site.
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1071 Postby AnnularCane » Sun May 26, 2024 6:04 pm

MetroMike wrote:
IsabelaWeather wrote:Are we cancelling the season before it begins now? Its just crazy we are talking about this season lagging behind before the official start of the season. If we get nothing before Aug 1, that doesnt mean it wont have high ACE or not be impactful.

I'm just glad the forum is not canceled. Had no idea there was maintanence going on today on the site.

I think the server just went down from what I know.
1 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Stratton23
Category 2
Category 2

#1072 Postby Stratton23 » Sun May 26, 2024 6:43 pm

Man the western caribbean and gulf continue to warm up even more, its insane to see
0 likes   

SteveM
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1073 Postby SteveM » Sun May 26, 2024 6:47 pm

Who is canceling the season?
1 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1074 Postby skyline385 » Sun May 26, 2024 6:55 pm

But we aren't talking about cancelling the season though, the discussion was whether we will reach large NS count because of lack of early season sub tropical spam which is a legit question in my opinion. It doesn't have anything to do with ACE or impacts from the season. I personally think we will reach a high NS count but there are mets who think otherwise:

https://x.com/AndyHazelton/status/1792962571441774639

0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1075 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun May 26, 2024 7:01 pm

I don't think anybody's canceling the season this early, I think it's just some curiosity as to why the season is not producing a May storm (or doesn't seem to be producing an early June one, according to models).

It's definitely a departure from the norm in recent years; however, the ominous thing about this is that quite a few of the active blockbuster seasons in history (1926, 1950, 1961, 1996, 1998, and 2004 as the primary examples, with 2010 included based on activity alone) didn't see their first named storm until after June 15, and in some cases not until July and August. There are many more historic seasons such as 2008 that featured weak, short-lived systems early and then didn't really pick up until July.

I think there are 2 key things to remember here.

1. When exactly the first named storm forms doesn't necessarily have good correlation with ACE and overall activity levels. Especially during a La Nina year, which tends to feature activity going well into October and November.

2. The fact that we're not getting early season activity might have to do with the El Nino we were just in, but it could also very well be a result of the cooler subtropics being hostile for early season spinups. This isn't necessarily a good thing because that basically signifies that the deep tropics are more than primed for activity had it not been for the typical early-season wind shear.

Watch as Alberto becomes a Category 5 Caribbean cruiser during early July. I'm sure the general attitude will drastically change. :lol:
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1076 Postby AnnularCane » Sun May 26, 2024 7:12 pm

Yeah...it was just an innocent question that came to mind. :wink: It wasn't even because of the lack of a May storm.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1077 Postby Cpv17 » Sun May 26, 2024 9:48 pm

Stratton23 wrote:Man the western caribbean and gulf continue to warm up even more, its insane to see

So are the subtropics.
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1078 Postby skyline385 » Sun May 26, 2024 10:15 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Stratton23 wrote:Man the western caribbean and gulf continue to warm up even more, its insane to see

So are the subtropics.

There has certainly been some very notable warming of the subtropics in the last 15 days, the classical +AMO look is gone again.

2 likes   

Woofde
Category 1
Category 1

Re: RE: Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#1079 Postby Woofde » Mon May 27, 2024 1:43 am

skyline385 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

So are the subtropics.

There has certainly been some very notable warming of the subtropics in the last 15 days, the classical +AMO look is gone again.

It's almost expected just based on recent seasons. We haven't really had a season with cool subtropics by peak season in recent memory.

For example 2017 and 2020 both played out this exact way. Both had large cool patches around this same time, but by August they warmed significantly.ImageImageImageImage
2 likes   

WeatherBoy2000
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: RE: Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#1080 Postby WeatherBoy2000 » Mon May 27, 2024 6:51 am

Woofde wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
So are the subtropics.

[url]https://i.postimg.cc/L4jTbtG6/image.png [/url]

[url]https://i.postimg.cc/bw5kJr4B/image.png [/url]
It's almost expected just based on recent seasons. We haven't really had a season with cool subtropics by peak season in recent memory.

For example 2017 and 2020 both played out this exact way. Both had large cool patches around this same time, but by August they warmed significantly.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240527/00773bb5ee877206995e9f7cf9218004.jpg https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240527/3f926f937f879dc03ab995bd901e664c.jpg https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240527/ed272918c2b7de1891bee97c77f7aa6b.jpg https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240527/abce34f487cff56f5ea4e5356099dfa9.jpg

Goes back even further than 2017/2020, same thing happened in 2005 and 2010 as well:

2005:

2010:

3 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”