Plylox Clips Question

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

Plylox Clips Question

#1 Postby Persepone » Sat May 14, 2005 9:42 am

Anyone have a source for Plylox Clips that does mail order?

Also, what do these clips cost?

Would like to try some. Not sold here.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Cookiely » Sat May 14, 2005 5:54 pm

There are some on ebay.
http://search.ebay.com/plylox-clips_W0Q ... Z1QQfsooZ1
The plylox clips are $41.00 for 40 of them.
You can try on google for the Plylox clips (I thought it was Pylox) and couldn't find anything. Its no wonder I was spelling it wrong. Good Luck.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Cookiely » Sat May 14, 2005 6:01 pm

Here is a good link on how to use the plylox clips.
http://doityourself.com/emergency/plylox.htm
0 likes   

StormChasr

#4 Postby StormChasr » Sat May 14, 2005 6:13 pm

Ever look at Coroplast? That stuff is amazing, and is certified to 130 MPH winds. :eek:
0 likes   

depotoo
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby depotoo » Sat May 14, 2005 9:33 pm

here is the plylox site - good info and they have where you can locate them near you.

http://www.plylox.com/
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#6 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:59 am

Plylox are home-grown here. :) (from Friendswood, TX...right up I-45 between here and Houston).

So, can anyone vouch for them? Sounds easier and faster to slap those on a pre-measured/pre-cut board and push them into place than to have to drill or nail.
0 likes   

melhow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby melhow » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:06 pm

We bought them last season for Charley. They were super easy to use - the biggest pain was cutting the wood to fit with exactly a 1/4" space between it and the window frame on all sides.

As for the tested element, well I'm in Largo, so we got a light breeze. My feeling is that they would work pretty well. They were in there pretty tight, so I think that it would take some major wind to yank the wood out of the frame once it was placed.

I will say that they seemed WAY sturdier then tapcon's into the masonry.

Hopefully my PlyLox will stay tucked away this season, but if it comes down to it, I would feel totally comfortable using them again.
0 likes   

patsmsg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby patsmsg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:36 pm

StormChasr wrote:Ever look at Coroplast? That stuff is amazing, and is certified to 130 MPH winds. :eek:

I'm not familiar with Coroplast. Can you tell me anything about it? I assume it is plastic. Is there a site or a service using this to protect windows?
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby Persepone » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:25 pm

Well, I talked to the Plylox guy in Friendship--and ordered some and they came.

They are easy to use. They should do the trick. Not tested in winds, etc. but from a "scientific" viewpoint, they should work. See the lab testing results on their website. But logic tells you they will work--perhaps better than bolted in place because they have some "give" to them.

More important, they will work because you can use them! Ease of use, non-destructive, etc. So apartment dwellers, etc. can use them. And you can take them with you of course, so you don't "lose your investment." Of course you need to find other uses for the plywood, but that is not difficult.

The guy who answered the phone took my order was friendly, answered all my questions and the order came very quickly! Nice to do business with.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”