Baton Rouge Traffic and NOLA evacuation Plan

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Baton Rouge Traffic and NOLA evacuation Plan

#1 Postby LSU2001 » Thu May 12, 2005 6:58 pm

New hurricane evacuation plan may not help BR traffic

By BRETT TROXLER
btroxler@wbrz.com
2theadvocate.com staff
From a report by WBRZ's Ben Lemoine

A new plan to help residents get out of New Orleans faster during a hurricane evacuation may not help traffic in the Baton Rouge area, Department of Transportation officials said Wednesday.
Advertisement

Advertisement

"Our traffic engineers came to the conclusion it really is not going to improve the situation," said Mark Lambert of DOTD. "You can only get so many cars over the 12-mile bridge in LaPlace. And once you reach that capacity, trying to extend the contraflow operation to Baton Rouge does not do anything in terms of allowing more cars to get out of New Orleans."

Instead the contra flow evacuation out of New Orleans will allow residents to use all lanes to go north on I-59 from Slidell or on I-10 from Metairie to LaPlace then north on I-55. Despite the new plan, traffic in Baton Rouge is not expected to be improved.

"We know there's still going to be traffic," Lambert said. "There will be traffic jams. What we're hoping is that the delays will not be as long. There's no way you can avoid the traffic jams when you're putting this many people on the roads."
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby MGC » Sun May 15, 2005 3:46 pm

Which way would you go if you were living in New Orleans and a Cat 4-5 was headed towards the city from the south or southeast? If you go north on I-55 or I-59 and stop in Mississippi, the hurricane will eventually find you. Ask the people who left the Mississippi coast for Camille and went north to Jackson only to find themselves still in the storm. Going west on I-10 beyond Baton Rouge is the preferred evacuation route. I'd much rather head away from the storm in a perpendicular manner. Really, counterflow should be opened on I-10 to the Texas boarder. Every time the so called experts devise a plan to evacuate it fails. None of the planners take into consideration which way the evacuee is most likely to travel.......MGC
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby LAwxrgal » Mon May 16, 2005 2:13 pm

MGC wrote:Which way would you go if you were living in New Orleans and a Cat 4-5 was headed towards the city from the south or southeast? If you go north on I-55 or I-59 and stop in Mississippi, the hurricane will eventually find you. Ask the people who left the Mississippi coast for Camille and went north to Jackson only to find themselves still in the storm. Going west on I-10 beyond Baton Rouge is the preferred evacuation route. I'd much rather head away from the storm in a perpendicular manner. Really, counterflow should be opened on I-10 to the Texas boarder. Every time the so called experts devise a plan to evacuate it fails. None of the planners take into consideration which way the evacuee is most likely to travel.......MGC

Hi MGC, my (ex)-boyfriend had the same problem. He was in the pile of traffic leaving lower Lafourche Parish (LA) for Georges and ended up going to coastal Mississippi toward the storm. He'd have been better off staying where he was.
0 likes   
Andrew 92/Isidore & Lili 02/Bill 03/Katrina & Rita 05/Gustav & Ike 08/Isaac 12 (flooded my house)/Harvey 17/Barry 19/Cristobal 20/Claudette 21/Ida 21 (In the Eye)
Wake me up when November ends

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby CajunMama » Tue May 17, 2005 3:47 pm

MGC wrote:Which way would you go if you were living in New Orleans and a Cat 4-5 was headed towards the city from the south or southeast? If you go north on I-55 or I-59 and stop in Mississippi, the hurricane will eventually find you. Ask the people who left the Mississippi coast for Camille and went north to Jackson only to find themselves still in the storm. Going west on I-10 beyond Baton Rouge is the preferred evacuation route. I'd much rather head away from the storm in a perpendicular manner. Really, counterflow should be opened on I-10 to the Texas boarder. Every time the so called experts devise a plan to evacuate it fails. None of the planners take into consideration which way the evacuee is most likely to travel.......MGC

Hwy. 90 out of NO to Lafayette to I-10...like they did last year for Ivan. Now the traffic was a nightmare when they got to Lafayette but they've been working on how to get the traffic to flow better. With a mass evacuation unfortunately there's going to be traffic jams. It's unrealistic to think there wouldn't be. Those who live along the coastline need to be prepared to leave earlier rather than waiting until the last minute.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”