Be sure ya know where the nearest evac shelter is :)

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Josephine96

Be sure ya know where the nearest evac shelter is :)

#1 Postby Josephine96 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:05 am

Just a reminder to anyone who has to evacuate.. Be sure you know where the nearest evac shelter is.. just in case..

I know where my nearest 1 is and I live 45-50 miles inland lol..

If ya know where your place of refuge is during a hurricane.. it will give you extra piece of mind and 1 less headache as the storm bears down..
0 likes   

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby LaPlaceFF » Thu May 19, 2005 1:32 am

Last year me and my wife went to my parents house for Ivan. To be honest, I don't know what Ill do if my parents will hafta evacuate. My friend when evacuating from Georges, they just kept going north. They called me from Shreveport.

What are your plans, Josephine96, if you hafta evacuate?
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Aquawind » Mon May 23, 2005 5:22 pm

John this is a very important point your making.. No matter where your located..inland or not..KNOW WHERE TO GO! Shelters fill and options can become limited real quick so have multiple options/locations. Check with your local county officials for the nearest options.

This information should be available from one link/call to FEMA or the State at least.. Either a search engine or plain listing of shelters and if they are open for business would be nice.

Fact is though this is a very important part of Family planning. Making a list is just part of the planning process..

Paul
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby alicia-w » Thu May 26, 2005 6:28 am

Our county is pretty big and only has two small shelters. Not anywhere we're gonna go. Thank goodness we have a house in the Smokies we can go to!
0 likes   

CFL
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby CFL » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:01 pm

Just a heads up for the people in the Pensacola area: if you went to a local shelter last year you may want to double check to see if it still serves as a shelter during the 2005 season. According to the News Journal Hurricane Guide there are only 10 public shelters in Escambia County this year, which includes one special needs shelter.
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby alicia-w » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:22 pm

There are only two in Okaloosa county; one in Crestview and one in Baker.
0 likes   

Josephine96

#7 Postby Josephine96 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:03 pm

I have 2 options for if we get a hurricane threat.. Go to a shelter.. or go where Mom's at lol..
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”