Generator Tips

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Generator Tips

#1 Postby drudd1 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:10 am

Well guys, after what everyone has been through this year, I am sure many more of you own generators. I know mine now has several hundred hours of run time in the last two months, and has become dear to my heart. Being an electrical contractor, I thought I would throw up some generator tips for all, in the hopes that I may touch on an item or two that you were not aware of:

Safety tips:

1) Don’t connect your generator directly to your home unless you know exactly what you are doing. If you do, it is imperative that the cord you connect with is capable of carrying the entire output of your generator. For example, if you have a 5500-watt generator, it is capable of putting out 22.92 amps at 240 volts. Do not use an ordinary extension cord, or one constructed from ordinary cords! You can obtain cable sufficient for this (a minimum of 10awg, at a Home Depot or Lowes, and consult with one of the folks in the electrical department prior to purchasing it.

2) If you are connecting to your home, you must, and this is extremely important, turn the main disconnect to your home off. If you don’t know what the main disconnect is, you should not be connecting to your homes panel. Not turning the disconnect off can be deadly to yourself and others. Your generator is capable of backfeeding onto your power line connected to the home, and injuring or killing the power workers trying to get power back to you. In addition, you don’t want to see what happens when power is restored, with the disconnect on, and the generator is still hooked up and running. It is not a pretty site. Bottom line, if this is something you wish to do, have a qualified electrician install a transfer switch, and land the generator properly.

3) Do not overload your generator. The following will be very helpful: http://www.vmisales.com/voltmaster/appchart.html

4) Never use your generator indoors, and this includes an attached garage. Also, make sure the area is dry, well ventilated, and that the exhaust cannot enter the home via an open window, screen door, etc.

5) Never use your generator where it is exposed to rain. During a rainstorm, water can be sucked up into the air filter, causing it to collapse and restrict intake. This will cause crankcase oil to be sucked up into the top end of the motor, and cause engine failure.

6) Don’t forget to change the oil. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines, which on many units is every 50 hours of run time. This may not be practical in all situations, but I can’t stress how important this is. If every 50 hours is not possible, then as soon after 50 hours as possible.

7) Touching back on the topic of how the generator is hooked up, never connect the generator to an individual house outlet. If you are going to hook it directly to your home, do so at the main panel. In addition, never start or cut off you generator under load. In other words, make sure nothing is hooked up, drawing power, or having the ability to draw power, while starting or shutting off the generator.

8) Always use outdoor rated power cords, 12awg minimum.

9) Never store your fuel indoors, and always cut off the generator prior to refueling. Spilling gas on a running generator could be catastrophic.

10) Always read the manufacturers booklet that came with your generator. I know us guys love to wing it, so to speak, but resist the urge this time. If you know longer have the booklet, most are available from the manufacturers website for download in PDF Format.

11) Keep children and pets away from the generator at all times. Not only because of the shock hazard, but also because of extremely hot parts, such as the muffler, that can cause serious burns.

12) If a storm is approaching, ensure you have enough gasoline for at least three days of operation. If you don’t have the funds, borrow cans from neighbors, in exchange for hot coffee in the morning. Everyone wins in that situation. You can count on a 5500watt burning up to 12 gallons in a 24 hour period under a heavy load, with less under lighter loads. Plan on the heavy load to be safe. You can conserve fuel by periodically cutting off heavy power consumers such as small window a/c units, or limit their use to nighttime when the temps are lower and you can then get a good nights sleep.

13) If you are going to use your computer off of generator power, get a good quality UPS. This will prevent damage to your computer.

14) Never store your gas next to your generator, or anywhere where a leak from the can will reach the generator. To be safe, keep each in a different location, and don’t forget to take full cans out of the trunk of your car. A full gas can in the trunk can get hot, build up pressure, and begin to leak into the trunk compartment. This is not good.

15) This goes without saying, but never smoke while fueling the generator.

16) Buy a heavy-duty chain, and quality lock, and secure your generator. As sad as it is, folks will steal it during times like we are going through now. It has become a real problem in the area.

17) If you are going to run your TV off of the generator, go out and buy an old-fashioned set of rabbit ears. You will need an antenna because cable will be out too. These can go into your hurricane kit.

18) Stock up and prepare for a hurricane assuming you won’t have power, even if you own a generator. Generators can break, and if you are not prepared for that possibility, a mechanical failure can be more than just an inconvenience. You won’t be able to take it to your local repair shop for a quick repair.

19) You can siphon fuel out of your vehicles, (please not your primary one) for use in the generator. Don’t do it with a piece of garden hose and your lips. You can purchase a battery drill driven pump for this. Check at you local hardware or auto parts store, or google for one on the Internet. This should also be a part of your hurricane kit. We are fortunate enough to have a boat with a 105-gallon fuel tank, which is kept full, that we can draw on if necessary, in the event gas cannot be found. If you have a boat, take advantage of the fact you have a safe place to store fuel if needed.

20) When you will not be using your generator for long periods of time, make sure a fuel stabilizer is added to the fuel. This can be obtained from an auto parts store, Wal-Mart, etc. Follow the directions on the label. Also, take the generator out every couple of months and run it for an hour or so, after which you top off the tank. This can be a pain, but will ensure that it is ready to go prior to needing it. My generator sat for four years before I needed it, but following the above procedures guaranteed that it started on the first pull after Charley came through, and Frances, and Jeanne……………..

21) Lastly, purchase a generator that is large enough for what you need, and no bigger. Remember, you have to feed it, and it loves to eat gasoline. Costs can add up fast, and fuel and cash (you may not be able to use the debit or credit card), can be hard to come by. Bigger is better only if you can afford to run it, or move it around for that matter.

The bottom line is, be safe, take care of your generator, and it will be a lovely relationship :D

If anyone can think of anything is missed, or you want to add to this, please do. To all you fellow Floridians out there, hang tough, we have almost made it through the season..........Dave.
0 likes   

tronbunny
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby tronbunny » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:41 am

This is awesome, Dave.
Hopefully they'll make it a sticky!
(or at least a Storm2K webpage link!)
0 likes   

mascpa
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby mascpa » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:43 am

Thanks for the info Dave. My generator got me through 8 days of no electricity from Frances and now we're on day three from Jeanne. That generator is a life saver, at least I can have fresh water for a shower in the morning. A cold shower is better than no shower anytime!
0 likes   

jbgreig
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4 Postby jbgreig » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:49 am

Great post. I'd like to ask a question that I previously asked:

I am looking at getting a whole-house generator. I am looking at Natural Gas / Propane generators, as well as diesel generators.

Question is this: After the recent storms made landfall, was the natural gas shut off to residential customers? If so, how long did it last? Would a few days worth of propane be enough to carry until natural gas is restored?

I live about 20 miles inland on the Upper Texas Coast, and would like a generator as insurance against prolonged power outages. I prefer the idea of a natural gas generator assuming the fuel is available, as storing large amounts of diesel does not appeal to me.

Thanks for any advice!
0 likes   

sponger
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby sponger » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:40 pm

Great advice! My power was restored this am. I am hoping I wont need it again until 2008! I will never be without a power back up. Francis took us down for a week. Stay safe every one and use good common sense. If you have a troy bilt that is having problems let me know as there is a likely defective part that is easily fixed. (Its still a great generator!)
0 likes   

CharleySurvivor
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby CharleySurvivor » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:31 pm

Hey Sponger! I have a troy bilt - 5550 and the darn thing stalls about every 40 minutes. I just have to power it back, no problem but then it stalls again. I need to bring back to the store to have it fix but the store is almost 45 min. drive me and it's not like it's a 'light thing' to pack in the car.

Did you have any problems with yours? if so what was it?
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby x-y-no » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:05 pm

Good information. Thanks.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Sanibel » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:07 pm

I don't know anything about generators, but that sounds like a potential overload problem. Maybe over heat too.

With all these maintenance and care problems it makes it sound like a set of solar panels combined with batteries would be somewhat helpful. Almost every cyclone leaves clear sunny weather behind. If a set of high-powered solar panels was kept in a safe inner storage area during a hurricane it could be set-up and connected the following day. No fuel acquirement problems, no fumes, oil change, hot parts, breaking parts, etc.

This would probably be limited to light power needs like fans, TV's, refrigerator, lights, etc. With today's technology large power requirements for full home operation would realistically require about 40 150 watt panels at around $600 a piece. Unfortunately, technical limitations would probably exclude air conditioning - unless it was run individually...

We found our 2 flourescent lanterns to be very useful during Charley. Spare sets of lantern batteries should alwys be on hand come hurricane season...

Another less expensive suggestion is a car battery invertor for powering a laptop if you still have a good phone line...
Last edited by Sanibel on Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Fego
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Fego » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:37 pm

Thanks Drudd1. Your post deserves a Sticky at least. This advices are the ones that make a difference in emergency situations. I'll use it in a our hurricane season coverage here in Puerto Rico. Sad to say this, but after Jeanne a couple died because of the exhaust, and others were injured when they tried to start their generators. During Hugo and Georges more than 10 workers from the Electric Power Authority died because the power lines were backfeeded (Looks like this time we learned from the past because none of those workers died).
0 likes   
Go Giants! Go Niners! Go Warriors!

Lebowsky

#10 Postby Lebowsky » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:26 pm

Great post. After reading it I realize I have no business fooling around with a generator, as I have no idea what it involves.

I am going to stick with getting a little Coleman camping stove for next season, a hot pot of coffee in the morning is what I really need, the rest I can deal with.
0 likes   

pcmud
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#11 Postby pcmud » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:43 pm

What's the defective part for the Troy-bilt generator?
0 likes   

Fego
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Fego » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:47 pm

I bought a generator so, I have to get the most of it. I used it after Georges and Jeanne, but in a "emergency mode", that is, just the neccesary. For example, I use gas stove and no more than two lights on. I switch on the heater for about five or ten minutes, keep the fridge running during the day but I turn it off at nightime. When I go to sleep I prefer to turn it off.. ummm just a safety feeling. Electric stoves, heaters, irons, dryers and refrigerators use too much power, so you have to use your common sense.
0 likes   
Go Giants! Go Niners! Go Warriors!

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby drudd1 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:49 pm

jbgreig wrote:I am looking at getting a whole-house generator. I am looking at Natural Gas / Propane generators, as well as diesel generators.

Question is this: After the recent storms made landfall, was the natural gas shut off to residential customers? If so, how long did it last? Would a few days worth of propane be enough to carry until natural gas is restored?

I live about 20 miles inland on the Upper Texas Coast, and would like a generator as insurance against prolonged power outages. I prefer the idea of a natural gas generator assuming the fuel is available, as storing large amounts of diesel does not appeal to me.

Hmmm, good question. Me being in Florida, and the fact natual gas is the exception, not the rule in most areas here, it would probably not make sense for me. I do not know in Texas.

I can tell you that I would stick with gas and as small a generator as would get the job done. That is solely due to the availability of fuel. Even diesel here poses a problem as most stations do not carry it, and in the aftermath of a storm, less still are available. In the past few years, having a diesel/kerosene tank installed has gotten increasingly more difficult due to environmental regulations. Thirty years ago, they were still everywhere, as most homes that were built prior to 1975 had an oil furnace for heating. I think ultimately, the size of the generator will play a key part in what fuel to use. I would not assume that if my neighborhood was piped for gas, that it would be available after a storm. I think that if the neighborhood took serious damage, it would be the last utility restored due to leak potential. Gas leaks and downed power lines/shorted wiring do not mix well. A few facts that may help:

1) Diesel will be more efficient than gasoline. In some areas it will cost more than gasoline, but you should still come out ahead in the long run. That is why diesel is the preferred fuel of choice for larger generators. Bear in mind that these larger diesel generators are usually used for commercial or municipal backups, where fuel storage tanks are mantained on site.

2) Diesel is not as volatile as gasoline, and is safer in that regard.

3)A standard tank of Propane is roughly equal to a five gallon gas can. If you use a small propane powered generator, plan on going through quite a few bottles.

4)Gasonline generates more btu's per gallon than propane, therefore, plan on burning more gallons per hour for the same amount of output. In other words, a 3600 watt generator running off gasoline will burn less per hour that the same generator running off propane.

5)Gasoline generators are cheaper to purchase than either diesel or propane, and will cost less to run than propane.

6)Propane units eliminate the chance of a fire due to spilled gasoline during refueling of a hot unit.

7)A smaller gas powered unit is portable. That comes in handy if you don't lose power, but another family member or neighbor does. It is easily set up at another location. You also have a readily available fuel source if stations are not open, i.e. the second car, boat, etc.

8)Propane generators are very quiet compared to gas or diesel.

Some Key Points

Gasoline:

Advantages:

1) Common fuel source - easily obtained
2) Increased portability of smaller generators
3) The easiest of all the fuels to aquire during natural disasters.

Disadvantages:

1)Highly flammable
2)Short shelf life (approximately 12 months) That is why fuel stabilizer is so important.
3)Storing large quantities of fuel can be hazardous
4)May not be available during natural disasters
5)Gasoline is somewhat Expensive and getting more so every day
6)Noisy

Propane:

Advantages:

1)Long shelf life
2)Clean burning
3)Easily stored in both large tanks or in smaller 5 - 10 gallon cylinders
4)May not be available during natural disasters
5)Home delivery available for larger tanks

Disadvantages:

1)Pressurized cylinder of flammable gas
2)Fuel system is more complicated (increased possibility of failure)
3)Larger tanks are not pretty
4)Fuel system plumbing results in higher installation cost
5)Somewhat Expensive
6)Quiet Operation

Natural Gas:

Advantages:

1)Unlimited fuel source - refueling not necessary
2)Clean burning
3)Available during power outages

Disadvantages:

1)May be unavailable during natural disasters such as hurricanes
2)Lower power output (30% less BTU's per unit than gasoline)
3)Fuel system plumbing results in higher installation cost
4)Not available in many areas
5)Quiet Operation

Diesel:

Advantages:

1)Least flammable fuel source
2)Easily obtained although not necessarily during natural disasters
3)On site fuel delivery available if a storage tank is allowed on stie.

Disadvantages:

1)18-24 month shelf life
2)Installing large storage tanks raises cost of system
3)May not be available during natural disasters
4)Noisy

In a nutshell, look at expense of purchase and use, realistic availability of fuel in your area, your needs as to amount of watts really needed, and go from there.

Me personally, I'll stick to a gas portable, but that may not be for you. My rule of thumb is the acronym KISS, which stands for Keep It Simple Stupid. The less there is to go wrong, the less will. Irregardless, good luck in your decision, and get well informed on each style of generator prior to purchase. After all, it may be one of the best purchases you ever make. Cheers............Dave.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby drudd1 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:04 pm

Thanks Fego. I decided to post the topic after shutting down my generator last night, for what I hope is the last time this season. Shortly after it was shut down, and we were watching the news on TV, we once again saw reports of a tragedy caused by the use of a generator. They can be absolutely safe if used properly, hence the post. I encourage everyone that is prone to prlonged power outages to get one. While those of you who have endured these outages know, a generator can be a wonderful thing. I can't tell you how much your quality of life can be improved by that one purchase. When the world has come crashing down around you, and you are convinced that it will never get better, a hot cup of coffee or a cold beverage can make the world seem so much better!
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby dhweather » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:09 pm

I'm trying to get one of these - this would be *very* easy to use.

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm
0 likes   

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby drudd1 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:15 pm

Excellent idea. While I have installed many transfer switches, I have no personal experience with the generlink or any of the devices that mount to the meter can itself. I would think that it would greatly increase safety, and simplify matters for sure. Do you have any idea of the cost?
0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby dhweather » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:20 pm

No idea what the cost is, but given the relative simplicity of the product, it can't be *too* bad.

Some power companies will lease them:

http://www.smeco.com/products/generlink/index.html

$10 a month and easy - I like it.
0 likes   

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby drudd1 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:30 pm

I am going to check into that here, availability and such. Neat product!
0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby dhweather » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:32 pm

I'm eagerly awaiting a reply from them. :)
0 likes   

jes
Category 1
Category 1

#20 Postby jes » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:31 pm

They do not turn off natural gas in Mobile during a hurricane. I called before Ivan to see if they would be turning it off or if I should. They said the gas is not turned off. I do remember after Frederick how everyone was using their grills for food -- including natural gas grills.

If you cannot put a generator in the garage and it can not be in the rain --then where do you put it?
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”