SURVIVAL POLL: What was the most.....

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

dixiebreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

SURVIVAL POLL: What was the most.....

#1 Postby dixiebreeze » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:24 pm

important thing you learned after surviving a hurricane/tropical storm so far this year:

For example, I learned you can't have too much water or ice or canned tuna :wink: Also, that I HAVE to find a way to make coffee in a power outage!
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Roxy » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:28 pm

Also, that I HAVE to find a way to make coffee in a power outage!

I hear you can put it in a sock (clean preferrably) and boil it. that is supposed to work pretty well.

*from one coffee junkie to another*
;)
Last edited by Roxy on Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

mascpa
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby mascpa » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:28 pm

Many lessons learned. Gotta have enough gas on hand to keep the generator running. And turn everything off in the living room so that the water pump on the well will work (took me six days without water to figure that one out). Keep life and your routines as close to normal as absolutely possible. Be prepared for at least one week of no electricity. Send the in-laws somewhere else. :wink:
0 likes   

jdray
Category 3
Category 3

#4 Postby jdray » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:31 pm

most overlooked item(s):

board games. What else is there to do with no power?
0 likes   

ladygatorslayer
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby ladygatorslayer » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:33 pm

I was lucky enough to not obtain any serious damage from Hurricanes so far, just a messy yard, and no power for 3 days.

What I learned......Get rid of popsicles if there is any possibility that you might loose power.

We evac. for Frances, came home, and the house was stinkin'....
Fudge Pops.....My enemy of this years hurricane season!
0 likes   

sfwx
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby sfwx » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:41 pm

1. Have an analog cell phone for energencies.

2. Buy ant spray/killer for after the storm.

3. I bought a 500 amp jump starter awhile ago from Walmart and it was invaluable. I could plug in any car adaptor to the front of it. I ran a portable TV and charged my cell phone.

4. Take pictures before and right after the storm for insurance.

5. Have fans available for you to use whether they are battery operated or you use them with a generator. It's hard to sleep without them.

6. If you have city sewer, do not use the toilet. The 40 gallon holding tank fills up fast.

7. Buy a 5 gallon bucket, some cat litter and some liner bags to use as an emergency toilet.

8. Listen carefully to restrictions about travel after the storm or you might end up trying to take back roads to get back into the county and almost get arrested. I'll save that story for later. :D

Eric
0 likes   

KeyLargoDave
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby KeyLargoDave » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:54 pm

Do not evacuate from the Keys to the Panhandle.

Do not leave the minute they call for a Keys evacuation (but leave the next morning).

Do not assume that your cell phone will work when you evacuate. We had no service once near Apalachicola.

If you are a cable/DSL user and are taking a laptop with you, write down phone numbers and try out the dialup service if your ISP provides it.

Doggy downers from the vet are a good idea. I felt much better after giving half of one to Bear. And half to me.

WWL-AM in New Orleans had the best coverate of evacuation routes, traffic, and official news, and their signal goes FAR.

For all the criticism about hype, the Miami TV stations have EXCELLENT storm coverage, the mets give thorough reports on all the factors affecting a storm path, and they have excellent graphic animations. While evacuating, I was amazed to see Central Florida TV stations broadcasting infomercials at 4 in the afternoon last Wednesday when Miami stations would have been in full storm-alert mode.

The Weather Channel never tells you what the NHC is saying, or if they do, you don't know it. They show a track and just say, this is the track -- not whether they're forecasting something different from the NHC or just showing the NHC forecast track. That started to infuriate me.

When TWC is on cable TV, in many markets you only get a generic "locals on the 8s" forecast -- for Boston, New York, California, but you never see the local weather statements if the local cable operator doesn't program them.

Make a timeline as soon as you start watching a storm -- write down the date/time when you'll decide to put up shutters, decided on evacuation, and when you'll leave. It helps keep you focused and lets you relax until a decision point comes. You can adjust the schedule if the storm changes speed significantly.

Never stay if there will be storm surge. You can be well-protected from wind in a sturdy, shuttered home. Only an ocean liner can survive surge.
0 likes   

Downdraft
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Downdraft » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:56 pm

How fast "civilized" society can slip back into dog eat dog. Grown people fighting over bags of ice, panic buying in gas lines or grocery stores and people that forgot how to drive when traffic lights are out. That being said there were many many examples of people rising above the situation and neighbor helping neighbor.
0 likes   

NativeFloridaGirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby NativeFloridaGirl » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:05 pm

1. You can never have too much ice.
2. You can never have too many AA batteries. (Gameboy emergencies abound after 13 days with no power.) :boared:

3. A propane grill with a side burner is a wonderful thing for heating up spaghetti-o's.

4. Spend the extra money on a really good cooler. The less ice that melts the better off you are.

5. A jug cooler with a spout on the side filled with Kool-aid will keep thirsty little people from opening the cooler every ten minutes.

~Beth~
0 likes   

Windsong
Category 1
Category 1

Re: SURVIVAL POLL: What was the most.....

#10 Postby Windsong » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:12 pm

dixiebreeze wrote:important thing you learned after surviving a hurricane/tropical storm so far this year:

For example, I learned you can't have too much water or ice or canned tuna :wink: Also, that I HAVE to find a way to make coffee in a power outage!

LOL Dixie...I bought a Coleman stove (gasoline operated) AND a Coleman Drip Coffee maker.

Total investment = about $90 including 2 gallons of fuel
Total result when the power went out = PRICELESS!
0 likes   

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby msbee » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:48 pm

make sure you have a manual can opener to open those cans of tuna :-)
0 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

rainydaze
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby rainydaze » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:54 pm

Next time your offered a chance to stay at a hospital because a couple of family members work there....don't stay home because you want to "experience" the storm.....SAY YES!!
0 likes   

FloridaDiver
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby FloridaDiver » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:56 pm

dixiebreeze wrote:important thing you learned after surviving a hurricane/tropical storm so far this year:

Although my wife and a few neighbors thought I was crazy, I splurged and purchased a generator. I learned from Andrew that a generator, if one can afford one, is worth every penny. Since we were out of power for 8 plus days, I reminded her that once one does the proper accounting, I actually saved money and a tank full swimming friends. We have a 200 gallon salt water tank with lots of cool looking critters; total investment in sea life and coral alone is well over $1,000 not including the labor (and love) involved in setting up a reef tank. My neighbors that laughed at me prior to the storm soon after day 3 of no power where knocking at my door with sad puppy dog faces and extension cord in hand asking to borrow some “power”. With 5500 watts I had my fish tank running 12 hours a day as well as my fridge, freezer, fans, TV, marine battery charger and a couple of other neighbors refrigerators connected by long extension cords. In respect for my neighbors I decided to turn the generator off at 10:00pm each night since the noise level of a generator of this size is quite loud. When the generator went off, that’s when the power inverter and marine battery came into play to continue powering the fans.
0 likes   

greeng13
Category 3
Category 3

#14 Postby greeng13 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:24 pm

you can buy a camping coffe press...many of my friends have one!!! then just use the grill!! i'm wondering if someone is going to come up with a coffe maker that runs from your car's cigarette lighter...

as for ice...i've found from numerous festival camping events that block ice is the way to go...take some of your aluminum baking pans and fill with water almost to the top...stick in the freezer...and voila!!! you have block ice (these do take up a lot of room in the freezer but come in handy if you need them) dry ice is a great way to go if you can find it!! i have an igloo 5 day cooler and in 93 degree heat in tennesse when i came home from that trip after 5 days i still had 2 full blocks of ice (the small block of dry ice had melted by that point though)
0 likes   

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby HurryKane » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:25 pm

What I learned in my first evac this past week:

- How long it takes to board up my house and a friend's house

- What it is I want to take out of my house that I consider valuable

- Evacuating in the middle of the night seems to help with traffic

- Evacuating too far inland makes it a bit of a pain to get back home

- Tuna in the no-drain packets WAY beats tuna in a can, as you don't need a can opener and don't have to deal with tuna goop either

- A small battery operated fan can work wonders

- Err on the side of caution about everything

- If you evac to your parents house, tell them that you CAN. NOT. STAND. nonstop coverage of the hurricane and hope their feelings aren't hurt if you retire to another part of the house to read a book. :)

- Leave the answering machine on so you can tell if you have power or not from remote places

- Run like hell and hope for the best.
0 likes   

dixiebreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby dixiebreeze » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:49 pm

Some really great tips here!

I have found 12 volt coffee makers that work from your vehicle. Just type in coffee maker 12 volt in search to find one.

In fact, there are many battery operated cooking appliances out there and I intend to have a couple on hand.

Also, be sure an have at least one telephone that is NOT hand held or cellular. I did and it was my only means of communication during our week long outage.

Keep the tips coming -- please!
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#17 Postby Persepone » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:16 pm

Two things that were invaluable in my experience (different 'cane):

Battery-operated fish tank pumps and a wad of batteries for them. For big tanks you need 2/tank--but they keep your fish alive!

Battery operated pump to pump water out of a basement. Smallish pump takes a long time, but better than no pump... Even if you have a generator and a larger pump, you can take care of small problems with the battery operated one....

Buy your generator and plan for it (practice run) when you don't need it. Drive the ground rod, measure for and purchase appropriate length and gauge extension cords, etc. etc. when there is no emergency and no run on such items in the hardware stores. With luck you'll get what you need to run your house on sale! Also, figure out how you will move it into/out of the location where you will run it. Ours has both wheels and a "sled" (for snow). Have used it in both conditions...
0 likes   

jes
Category 1
Category 1

#18 Postby jes » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:16 pm

wash and iron all cloths before storm- I learned this during Frederick. This year I learned to stay with storm2k so you'll know the storm is possibly coming your way before everyone else in your city knows. Then you can make motel reservations where you want (not just what is left). The reservation can always be cancelled later if the storm turns.
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby Roxy » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:18 pm

Battery-operated fish tank pumps and a wad of batteries for them. For big tanks you need 2/tank--but they keep your fish alive!

I was thinking about this when I was considering my hurricane readiness, good call. It's good to know they have battery operated pumps, I need a new one anyway......so I can pick one up!
0 likes   

birdwomn
Category 1
Category 1

#20 Postby birdwomn » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:28 pm

If relatives need to evacuate and won't, go get them. It is worth your peace of mind to know that they are in a safe place

Never underestimate any storm

Always plan for the unexpected

Plan ahead, everything takes longer to prepare than you think it will

tying things down really does help

generators, gas cans, tarps, roofing nails, etc. run out almost as fast as water & ice and the National Guard doesn't bring them.

The freezer portion of your refrigerator makes a good "cooler", it is better insulated than most coolers
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”