Hurricane Prep and Aftermath for PETS... REVISED...

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurriCat

Hurricane Prep and Aftermath for PETS... REVISED...

#1 Postby HurriCat » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:59 pm

New Stuff at the Bottom! :P

Quick thoughts regarding our pet-pals in these matters. Be extra careful, because veterinary care might be especially difficult to find after a storm. Speaking of which, if evacuating, then have copies of your pets' SHOT RECORDS. Kennels and boarding facilities will want to see them. This one got us when we ran from Frances. Further, go ahead and collar/tag the dogs and cats, even if inside-only pets. Storms have a way of changing things.

The bunker-effect. If your home is boarded-up to where you have no outside view, then that can be rough on birds and cats. Try to provide at least one spot after the storm where light, fresh air and a view are to be had. Dogs are better in this situation, as you walk them, anyways. Speaking of "walkies", really check out your walk areas first. There might be debris that can hurt the dogs' feet or maybe some things that the dog might eat or sniff that could be harmful. Seriously, who can guess what a dog might swallow, plus what gets on the paws get licked eventually. How about that 50lb bag of rat poison in your neighbors' tool shed that is now blown to bits? Is your back yard now powdery white? Check it out.

Fish owners - do you have provision for cleaning/replacing tank water and keeping the oxygen supply good? Pet food should be stocked (duh), but don't forget the cat litter and any medications. Speaking of pills, we got some pills from the vet to "calm" the cats during the storm. Big difference than during Charley without the pills.

Don't forget flea, tick and pest control products, as after the storm there might be "blooms" of pest populations. Plus, the bugs, too, have been displaced and will be seeking new digs. Never use DOG flea products on your CAT. The cat's skin is different, and very sensitive. No, it's not "all the same". Tell that bigmouthed "expert" we all know to call a veterinarian and find out the truth. Don't make a cat pay the price.

Handling pets. During the stress of a storm, a dog or cat might not be as cuddly as before. They might bite or scratch. You might want to crate or leash your pets, which makes sense anyways, as if your home gets new openings, then the pet might bug out on you and be gone. Secure them during preparations, too, as during the running in and out, they might slip out through an unattended door and disappear. Also, you might trip over them and injure them or yourself at the worst possible time.

Pets often key on the mood of the owners. If you get all freaked-out before and during a storm, then Fluffy or Bowser might be stressing more, too. Stock yourself some extra patience, as the dog or cat might have some "accidents" during this time. They might also bark or meow more than usual. Don't punish them for reacting to stressful conditions.
After a storm, try and keep an eye out for roaming pets. Use caution in approaching them, as even a neighbors' dog that "knows you" might be unpredictable. Maybe throw them a snack to delay them or try and close them inside of your fenced yard and go to the neighbor and get them to come back with you.

Every neighborhood has an idiot who neglects their animals and might actually be leaving them exposed to approaching danger. Find a way to remind them or even call the authorities if time permits. I would even volunteer the use of our garage if they were so resistant to housing their own animals. It's about the animals' welfare at that point. During one storm, a neighbor's kitty was outside, and no sign of the owners. We were on a "head scratching" basis with the cat, so we put him in the garage until after the storm.

NEW STUFF: For each of our three cats, I have made "Evac Kits" in case we take the show on the road. In each kit: Folding black-wire metal "pet crate" from WalMart (not the smallest, next up, I think) - a perfect size for cats, it provides containment, "some" moving around room, and space for litterpan, food/water dishes and a cushion. It has a plastic floor that slides out and a very secure door; Padded seat cushion with the chair-tie straps removed - perfect kitty bed; plastic food and water dishes (small), and a small litter pan. We also keep shot record copies with the kits, in zip-lock type bags. The best thing with these kits is that in a way you are taking your boarding facilities with you. My plan for REALLY roughing it, say being in a tent for a few days, would be to keep the "kids" in their crates inside our roomy tent, and then make an outside "kennel" with scrap wood and my trusty roll of screen and heavy duty staple-gun. This way, we can give them some supervised exercise and fresh air. Another plus with these crates is that they fold flat (I also kept their boxes) and are easy to pack and transport (cats ride in pet-taxis while in vehicles). You can find super deals on taxis and crates at yard sales. Clean 'em out with a water/bleach mixture and rinse well before using, just in case!

Our furry friends need us in all kind of weather! :D (original content, not from any copyrighted source)
Last edited by HurriCat on Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

KeyLargoDave
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby KeyLargoDave » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:37 am

Right before I evacuated for Ivan last year, I stopped by the vet and got some doggie downers. The vet assured me that they are safe. I gave the dog a 1/2 tab and he calmed down for the long car ride. Once in the motel, I gave him a full tab and he got real, real calm, which was really helpful.

I would also recommend having a muzzle in case you have to take a dog anywhere where his mouth should stay closed -- could help on walks after a storm when you really don't want Fido picking things up off the ground.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#3 Postby HurriCat » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:00 pm

"Better living through chemistry" (Granny Clampett, after taking a swig of her "rhuematiz medicine") :D Hic!

A thought re: meds for pets. Be sure to know the correct dose and timing, plus let just one responsible adult be the pill-giver. Soup can handle several cooks adding pinches of salt, but for poochie-dog, several pills could mean "night-night-termite" :roll:
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby alicia-w » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:42 pm

This is the first time that I've had the dogs boarded at a kennel before evacuating....

would do it everytime from now on....
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby Persepone » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:09 pm

Fish: They do sell battery-operated air pumps! They are cheap. The batteries (usually standard AA) last longer than you would think. But a bunch and you can run air stones, bubblers, etc. So even if you can't filter, you can get oxygen into the water. You can, of course, "filter" manually by pouring fish tank water through a filter...

Don't forget to store extra water for your fish! You may have to change out tank water in the absence of adequate filtering (change about 1/3 at a time) if you have extended power outages, etc.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Shoshana » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:55 am

I saw something online today ... doglitter.com They have supplies for when you can't walk your dog - dog litter, pee pads, stuff like that. It might take some prestorm training to teach a dog to go inside on the pad or in the box (but *only* there!) but safer than getting smacked by a 2x4 in the middle of Hurricans Xena!

They say it's best for small dogs, but an emergency's an emergency.

'shana
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”