FL Sales Tax Holiday and Home Depot...YIKES!

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

melhow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

FL Sales Tax Holiday and Home Depot...YIKES!

#1 Postby melhow » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:53 pm

I saw in an earlier post that someone warned against visiting Home Depot or Lowe's for the next 12 days.

Well, they are so right!

The Home Depot here in Clearwater had lines to stand in line for supplies, espically generators. It sort of reminded me of the great plywood rush of '04.

I would suggest that if you have any home improvment projects in mind, at least in the Tampa Bay area, that you put them on hold for a few weeks unless you already have your purchases taken care of.

Geesh...
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Aquawind » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:07 pm

LOL.. Good point.. I think it's great people are listening to some of the message to prepare.. Saving money is a good thing. :)

Paul
0 likes   

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby drudd1 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:21 am

Yep, I had to go into Home Depot for a few items not associated with the hurricanes. It was a bit crazy. Out of curiosity, I checked out some of the things they were selling, and it amazed me how many generators of different sizes and brands were priced between $739 and $749. Hmmmmm.......
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

melhow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby melhow » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:10 am

Update:

I just heard that Home Depot here is matching the sales tax savings, so for Pinellas County, that is a total of 15% off.

Not bad...
0 likes   

zoeyann
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby zoeyann » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:07 pm

I think that it is great Florida has a tax free week for hurricane supplies. We do not have that in south Louisiana. I'd be stocking up if we did.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Aquawind » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:32 pm

This is a great thing.. People are getting part of the message and preparing.. :D It's more than a couple bucks at that..

Paul

Generators fly off shelves at start of tax-free holiday

Residents also cash in on other storm goods

By Anne Mitchell
amitchell@news-press.com
Published by news-press.com on June 2, 2005

Generators went fast on the first day of Florida's sales-tax holiday for hurricane supplies.

By 1 p.m. Wednesday, The Home Depot in Fort Myers had sold 200 and had only six left.

Across the street at Lowe's, all of the larger size generators were gone by midmorning, even the store's floor model.

Jose Salazar, a Fort Myers doctor, said the sales-tax holiday was a good move by the state.

"People are lazy," he said, but an incentive like this gets them moving.

The tax holiday runs through June 12 and allows Floridians to buy a number of hurricane preparation items without paying sales tax.

Among them are such things as batteries, portable radios, coolers and generators.

After spending 3 1/2 days without power last August, Salazar said he wasn't taking any chances this time.

He took time off work to buy a $699 generator and an assortment of batteries at Lowe's. Without Lee County's 6 percent sales tax, he saved about $42. He also will pocket a $70 mail-in rebate.

Salazar said he would like to see plywood and shutters on the no-tax list, but they're not eligible.

All told, state officials expect the tax holiday to add up to about $7.6 million in savings for Florida consumers.

The Home Depot sweetened the deal by offering 7.5 percent off all tax-free items through June 12.

As a result of the extra discount, consumers could walk out with a $499 Coleman 500-watt generator for $461.58. A rechargeable weather radio/flashlight that normally costs $29.99 sells for $27.74.

Kevin Storey, assistant manager at The Home Depot on Ben C. Pratt/Six Mile Cypress Parkway in south Fort Myers, said even bigger generators not eligible for the tax break — they cost more than the $750 holiday cap — also were selling Wednesday.

What else were customers stocking up on?

"Everything really, batteries, flashlights and sheeting," Storey said.

When Terry and Richard Scott, of San Carlos Park, got to Lowe's diagonally across Tamiami Trail from Home Depot, all the larger generators were gone except an unboxed floor model.

"We took it," Terry Scott said.

They were afraid they would be empty-handed if they didn't get one right away.

"Now we are guaranteed not to have any hurricanes," she said. "When you are prepared, it doesn't happen."

Dwight Marsh, manager of Lowe's in Cape Coral, also reported brisk business on hurricane supplies, especially generators.

"I just turned around and the piles are empty," he said Wednesday afternoon.

Spokesmen for Home Depot and Lowe's said more generators are expected.

Ron Gavin, president of Gavin's Ace Hardware on Fort Myers Beach, said some people didn't wait for the tax break.

"We probably sold half a dozen generators in the last two weeks," Gavin said.

He has just one complaint.

"Unfortunately, the government didn't see fit to put some other things on the no-tax list such as extension cords (for the generators)," he said.

Paul Raines, president of The Home Depot Southern Division, said the Florida stores are dropping the price of eligible products by 7.5 percent in all counties "so people in counties with tax rates below 7.5 percent are getting an even better deal."

"We didn't want to confuse our customers if they didn't know their county tax rate," he said.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 20443/1053
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby CentralFlGal » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:22 am

Even though I wasn't going to, I picked up a few items to test the waters. If you're not going for the big stuff (i.e. generators), it's just not worth the rush. If you can wait till it's over (but before the threat of a storm), then you can deduct that generator on your taxes if you itemize. I saved a total of 5 bucks on tarps and batteries with HD's matching program. :roll:

I picked up Plylox (NOT included on the approved item list - go figure). In case some folks are wondering, a package of 20 runs about $30. We'll see how they do this year...
0 likes   

sunflowerkist
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

What if they are not needed? Refunds?

#8 Postby sunflowerkist » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:35 am

CentralFlGal wrote:Even though I wasn't going to, I picked up a few items to test the waters. If you're not going for the big stuff (i.e. generators), it's just not worth the rush. If you can wait till it's over (but before the threat of a storm), then you can deduct that generator on your taxes if you itemize. I saved a total of 5 bucks on tarps and batteries with HD's matching program. :roll:

I picked up Plylox (NOT included on the approved item list - go figure). In case some folks are wondering, a package of 20 runs about $30. We'll see how they do this year...

If these hurricane items are not needed this year, will these home building places accept the merchandise back unopened? For refunds?
I imagine some will be seeing Christmas refunds as a good deal. I can not imagine buying a $700 or $800.00 item and then not taking it out of the box all summer and fall, then not being tempted to trade it in for christmas decorations or what ever. So in the long run who will be benefitting, the store owners or the customers or the state of Florida? Hopefully this will be a tremendous issue at the end of hurricane season this year.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

Re: What if they are not needed? Refunds?

#9 Postby Aquawind » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:16 am

sunflowerkist wrote:
CentralFlGal wrote:Even though I wasn't going to, I picked up a few items to test the waters. If you're not going for the big stuff (i.e. generators), it's just not worth the rush. If you can wait till it's over (but before the threat of a storm), then you can deduct that generator on your taxes if you itemize. I saved a total of 5 bucks on tarps and batteries with HD's matching program. :roll:

If these hurricane items are not needed this year, will these home building places accept the merchandise back unopened? For refunds?
I imagine some will be seeing Christmas refunds as a good deal. I can not imagine buying a $700 or $800.00 item and then not taking it out of the box all summer and fall, then not being tempted to trade it in for christmas decorations or what ever. So in the long run who will be benefitting, the store owners or the customers or the state of Florida? Hopefully this will be a tremendous issue at the end of hurricane season this year.

The point here is to prepare and be aware for hurricane season.. The money and time involved is a personal choice. I very much doubt they will give refunds beyond the usual 30 days.. Giving back the hurricane supplies because you didn't use them? Generators can be used for alot more than just hurricanes and are every day. None of these items are just for hurricanes but any disaster that happens to strike and anytime of the year.. I am glad for the lines in all respects.. Ya gotta take care of yourself first.. as we have learned it might be a long wait for outside help.. being prepared is your choice plain n simple.. Prepare now or suffer later.. Nothing is free.

Paul
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby CentralFlGal » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:27 pm

Great points, Aqua. There are no beneficial alternatives to proper planning and preparation.

There were many returns after Charley last year. Home Depot accepted unopened generators for refunds (over 30 days would consitute an in-store credit I believe). Lines for returns were just as long as the lines to purchase the items prior to the storm.

People who thought they were getting one over on HD were then out of luck when Frances was aiming for us. Suddenly, that generator they returned was no longer available. The situation then repeated again, admittedly to a lesser degree, when Jeanne was upon us.

I'm hoping they learned their lesson and will hold on to the supplies that are needed each season and then some.
0 likes   

iceangel
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby iceangel » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:24 am

melhow wrote:Update:

I just heard that Home Depot here is matching the sales tax savings, so for Pinellas County, that is a total of 15% off.

Not bad...

They are doing that here in Pensacola also..Wonder if this is a statewide idea?
0 likes   

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#12 Postby NC George » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:00 am

It's amazing what people will do to save on sales tax. In NC, we have the saem idea, except it's with back-to-school supplies and clothing, for the first couple of days in August. People flood the stores, all to save 6-7%. Can you imagine the response if a major retailer suddenly announced a 6% off sale? No one would care. But throw in that you aren't paying taxes, and all hell breaks loose. People spend an extra $200 they normally would not have in order to save 12 bucks. Meanwhile, the state loses valuable revenue, making a different tax higher. I call this plan Christmas in Summer, bacause the main beneficiary is the retailer making extra sales.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”