Have your kids made their own hurricane kit?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Pebbles
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Have your kids made their own hurricane kit?

#1 Postby Pebbles » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:46 pm

That's right! Your kids should have a hurricane kit too! It is a learning opportunity and can save lotsa stress when you are running around prepping for a storm to already have some things gathered for them. Many items you can get at the dollar store or from things already around the house. Let them put it together and keep it by the family's main hurricane kit. Something they have control over makes them feel good too! If not used during the hurricane season can be used later for living room pretend camp out/sleepover.

Some idea's include...
A deck (or 2) of cards-even a 4 year old can usually play war with an adults help ...take the face cards out if needed and they can tell you which card has more dots, or try to build a house of cards or other games.

coloring books/crayons

blank paper - make airplanes or include safety scissors to make snowflakes or throw a glue stick in too for more craft fun

handheld games- (fast food gave cheepie ones out recently also there are cheep ones available in some stores too)

snacks

flashlight-a must for any child :)

headphones- even bigger toddlers can listen to cheep headphones.. and one with a tape with childrens songs is even more fun!

backup batteries-for flashlight and any other little electronics included in kit

mini travel size games (there is tiny etch a sketches and other small toys/games found often at walmart or the dollar store CHEEP)

Anything else you think they might like :)
Kids keeping themselves busy having fun help keep their minds off the storm!

This list is geared towards younger children but can make something more appropriate for older kiddies too!

Edit: My 12 year old insisted I add sidewalk chalk... "it's the best thing to play with outside after the storm while the electricity is still out "
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#2 Postby Persepone » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:11 pm

More ideas: Each child should probably pick a favorte "good night" book or if that would be too confusing, get a collection of favorite fairy tales, etc. for the whole family For older kids you might try a book like the 1001 Nights, where there are a bunch of related tales--so each night you get another "installment" of the story...

For older children: flash cards (math, Latin, whatever else they are learning). Or some index cards and pens/pencils, etc. so they can make their own. They can make a game out of learning, etc.
Books of puzzles, riddles, jokes, other "mind" games also work well.

A scrabble game, a monopoly game, a chess/checkers set. If you are in a shelter, they can play with others as well. I'd make space somehow for full size games if possible; otherwise, these do exist in smallish formats.

For each child: an inexpensive bound notebook they can use as a hurricane diary and a pen so they can keep an hour by hour record of what is going on, etc. At the end, they will have a record of their experience...

I'd try to avoid games that require batteries, etc. Now is a good time to teach them how to get along with out electricity, etc. Introduce tic tac toe on paper, hangman, pen the pig and other "archaic" pen and pencil games.

If you are in a public shelter, it's probably inappropriate, but if in your own safe room, shelter, etc. I'd bring musical instruments into the shelter &/or sing rather than rely on tape players, etc. Those use batteries. Let the kids make their own music. Teach them the songs you know. It does not matter what the songs are, whether you can sing or not... But even harmonica, song flute--even comb and toilet paper or wax paper can provide accompaniment to a sing-along.

Also, don't forget the comfort toy--the doll, teddy bear, etc. for bedtime. These go a long way to offer comfort during the stress of an emergency.

I think that if you are with your children, either in a shelter, or in a home safe place riding out a storm in the dark, this is the time to teach children about amusing themselves with things that don't need batteries or electricity (although you may need light; hence the lanterns, flashlights, etc.). Pencil and paper games, board games, journals, singing or playing an instrument instead of listening to commercial music--all these can teach a lesson about making the best of a bad/scary situation...
0 likes   

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby drudd1 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:50 pm

Both my kids did this prior to Charley, and it turned out to be a great idea. They have already done the same for this year.Another idea, one that the kids did last year, was put in one of the elctronic battleship games, and a Yahtzee one. They are little hand held things, are addictive, and will run forever on their batteries. We have both, and they were played prior to Charley, all this year, and the batteries are still going strong!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Pebbles
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Pebbles » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:19 pm

I could see it might be a learning experience to go without electronics (though I agree and have used camping trips which can be fantastic for that)... but I think it would be so much nicer for a younger ones who don't like wind to listen to music instead. I even found even myself getting slightly unnerved by the sound of howling wind and cracking tree branches outside. Not to mention the banging of things that get flung around out there. They can use the music to 'tune out' some of the storm noise.

I definately see a benifits to either view. :)

The journal idea is fantastic for those old enough to write!
0 likes   

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby weathermom » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:42 pm

I love the journal idea!

My kids love to do skits. They do them all the time when camping. Maybe not to do when scared if the wind noises are too much, but they might actually take their minds off of the storm. Skits can involve lots of kids (good if you are at a shelter) or just a few (your family at home with no power after the storm). You can make almost any joke into a skit!
0 likes   

patsmsg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby patsmsg » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:37 am

Wal-mart sells little disposable flashlights for about the price of a set of batteries. I always buy these for my kids (each gets a different color, so no fighting over which flashlight belongs to which kid). Also, they come with a clip so it can hang from a belt loop. These flashlights last forever, much longer than a set of D-cells would last in normal flashlight, and the beam is really stong. They are great for camping too!

Here's a link to show what I'm talking about http://www.landfallnavigation.com/garrity.html
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”