tax-free hurricane shopping a hit!!

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

iceangel
Category 1
Category 1

tax-free hurricane shopping a hit!!

#1 Postby iceangel » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:27 am

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/new ... 00DD.shtml

Tax–free hurricane shopping a hit
Bigger selection, bigger–ticket items requested for next year
June 13, 2005
Alvin Peabody@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

Area residents and merchants of several home improvement stores, such as Lowe's and The Home Depot, have described the first-ever tax-free holiday on hurricane-related items as a success.

But some also said they hope the state revamps the list next year to include more tax-free items and larger dollar discounts on other supplies.

The 12-day holiday was approved this spring by the state Legislature. It began June 1 and ended Sunday and covered items such as batteries, flashlights, radios, candles, generators, lanterns and tarps. Customers were estimated to have spent an average of $100 on supplies. That meant Floridians saw an overall savings of nearly $10 million.

"We believe that the people of Escambia County were appreciative of the fact that they were able to take advantage of a tax break on much-needed items," said Norman Thomas, assistant manager at The Home Depot at 5309 Davis Highway.

Among the fastest-selling items over the 12-day period at the store were generators and 5-gallon gas cans, Thomas said.

"At one time, we ran out of generators and had to re-route trucks with merchandise to the stores in areas with the most needs," he said.

Pensacola resident Chris Sams took advantage of the last day of the holiday and filled a shopping cart with a 5,550-watt generator and four 5-gallon gas cans at The Home Depot.

"I had been searching for a larger generator all weekend, and every store that I went to was out," Sams said. "But this morning (Sunday) I was told that a truck had just come in to Home Depot with some generators."

Gas cans and generators also were popular items at the Lowe's store on Airport Boulevard. As of Sunday morning, those items were sold out at the store, said operations manager Roger Jay.

Cantonment resident Tim Scroggs said he would like to have more tax-free items added to the holiday list.

"Things like ply-lox clips and nails would be great for consumers," he said.

Mike Taylor of Pensacola said he would prefer larger discounts on some hurricane-related items, including generators.

"I know that the state means well, but I still think these prices are a little high," Taylor said as he surveyed a flier that priced a 5,500-watt generator at $699.
©The Pensacola News Journal
June 13, 2005
0 likes   

Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Swimdude » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Haha, according to TWC, I still find it amusing that plywood and AAA batteries weren't included in the tax free week. Ironically, two of the most popular hurricane materals. I suppose that they're just popular items already, and they can't afford to lose the taxes on those?

Who knows. Seems weird. TWC specified AAA batteries. I wonder if the others were tax-free?
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Aquawind » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:55 pm

Batteries were included. Plywood was originally discussed but with all of the building down here you can imagine the trades people would have been abusing the tax break purpose..

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=62210

I think it was a great success and hope they have it anually in all coastal hurricane prone states someday.. :)

Paul
0 likes   

CFL
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby CFL » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:19 pm

I'm sure the threat of Arlene helped boost the sales as well.
0 likes   

Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Swimdude » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:11 pm

I agree; all coastal states should have this opportunity some time prior to hurricane season. Maybe more people would pay attention to guarding themselves and their homes. Without being too cheesy, imagine how many lives a tax-free hurricane supply weekend would've saved last year before the onslaught of storms on Flordia.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”