Home made wooden storm shutters....

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#21 Postby Ixolib » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:02 am

Frank P wrote:here is a pix with all the shutters installed on my house... house is on the front beach in Biloxi on Hwy 90 (vinyl siding)..... you can see the reflection of the sand beach and GOM if you look carefully at the front windows on the right of the house.... . now I'm just waiting for a chance to use them... I've been working on this house for 25 years... and I don't think I'll ever finish... but the shutters are complete...

Hi all... I drive by Frank's house everyday on my way to work and can certainly say that the shutters do, in fact, look really nice - even in person!! Great job Frank!!

Just got done customizing all my "seasonal" window covers so that each one now fits perfectly onto threaded lag bolts permanently installed on each window's frame. I unfortunately have to still install, remove, and store - but it's a heck of a lot nicer now that I can just hang 'em and bolt 'em on with butterfly nuts.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby Frank P » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:29 am

thanks Ixolib, next time you drive by honk your horn... hehe

sounds like you've got your storm shutter system upgraded pretty good too... good luck trying them out...

and like your system I still have four small shutters I have to install in the center of my large windows up front with butterfly wing nuts on threaded lag bolts because they are so big the permanent shutters don't provide complete coverage.... and this is so much easier than nailing or screwing into the frames.. now the big question is when will we use them... Ever since I completed the shutter project the tropics has gone quite and nothing has even come close to the GOM...
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Ixolib » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:48 pm

Frank P wrote:thanks Ixolib, next time you drive by honk your horn... hehe

sounds like you've got your storm shutter system upgraded pretty good too... good luck trying them out...

...Ever since I completed the shutter project the tropics has gone quite and nothing has even come close to the GOM...

Yep, I was thinking that same thing. Put my "originals" up for Dennis, then re-built and customized ALL of them right after. Been very quite since...

On a side note... I've never in all my years seen so many people leave their windows boarded for so long as they have this summer. There are boarded windows STILL all over Biloxi since Dennis. At least "we're" not in that crowd!! :lol:
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby Frank P » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:34 pm

good point about people leaving up their plywood for so long all over the coast... ironic that my neighbor two doors down took his plywood down from his second floor just today....
0 likes   

olddude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#25 Postby olddude » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:36 pm

The shutters look great!

Looks like Katrina may give you that chance to try them out.

Stay safe.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby Frank P » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:50 pm

thanks olddude, now that I'm looking at the possibility of a Cat 4 I'm not all that excited any more about using them now......

best part of it all I can completely secure all the shutters in about 30 minutes... so I can wait till the last possible minute....
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:30 am

Anyone heard from the Biloxi members? If Frank P is as close to the water as I think he is... he probably got surge.
0 likes   
#neversummer

olddude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#28 Postby olddude » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:40 am

Frank made it.

See page 5, Members that were in the path of Katrina sticky in the new Recovery Forum.
Scott
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#29 Postby GalvestonDuck » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:22 pm

Frank, have YOU heard from ixolib? I haven't been able to reach George by phone yet. Any contact at all?
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby Frank P » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:55 pm

no GD, up here in Nashville seems like I'm out of touch with everything.... call phones are still not working very well.... Sadily I did hear of one person I knew that die in the surge.... I'm sure I'll hear of more in the days to come, especially in the Bay SL and Waveland areas.... expect the death toll to increase dramatically in the coming days...
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”