Shutters... when winds are expected to be???

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Shutters... when winds are expected to be???

#1 Postby fci » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:48 pm

With the possibility of a storm here in a few days that may be teetering between strong Tropical Storm of minimal Hurricane; at what level do Shutters become the wise course of action?

I'm thinking anything above about 90-100 would warrant and 75 doesn't.
They're a pain to put up and I'd rather not go through the exercise if it is not needed but don't want to be irresponsible.

Any thoughts or rule of thumb?
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Frank P » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:55 pm

I used to think anything less than 74 mph and I would not board up... but I've experienced some tropical systems during the past couple of years that had 60 mph winds associated with them... I did not board up and the oak limbs that broke off during the storm were strafing my front windows like machine gun bullets... I was very fortunate and did not have any break... double insulated windows would have been a pain to replace... if you have any trees or any thing else that could produce debris and hit your windows (such as roofing shingles across the street) I would recommend you board up for at least a minimum hurricane and even perhaps a strong TS... besides you never know if they are going to get stronger as they come inland and you need to board up hours before the center actually hits.. at least board up the winds that will see the direct force of the wind... boarding up easier than replacing windows, and perhaps parts of walls and roofs...
Last edited by Frank P on Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby skysummit » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:56 pm

Well, damage can usually start around the 60-65mph range so they usually go up at my place when 50mph winds are threatening. When I say "damage", I mean large limbs beginning to break and minor structural damage.

They are a pain, that's why you need to have them installed on your home as part of your house. All you have to do is open them and close them instead of nailing, screwing, and so forth.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby fci » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:20 pm

Thanks for the reply.

We put them up last year for Frances and kept them up on the 2nd floor until mid-October. Pulled the first floor off until putting them back on for Jeanne.

I looked at automatic ones and for the 2nd floor they were about $2000. I figured with the frequency of storms here over the past 40 years, it was too much to spend. I could pay someone to take them down for about $100.

Thanks for the info, I'll just see what others are doing IF this thing intensifies and continues to head this way.
0 likes   

T'Bonz
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby T'Bonz » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:59 pm

Bonz from Ft. Lauderdale (N. Broward)

I put the three non-attached shutters up tonight. They're a pain to put up (my husband is out-of-town, figures.)

The ones that snap shut, I'll decide tomorrow. If the storm ratchets up to 60-65MPH or more, I'll shut them. If not, I won't.

Everything is in the house and everything is gathered in one place in case of power failure. I'm whipped. Long day.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”