TWC in Alert mode? Give me a Break

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Derek Ortt

TWC in Alert mode? Give me a Break

#1 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:52 pm

I know this is a serious storm, but Alert Mode? Is this as dangerous as Hurricane Lili? TWC needs to stop hyping this and get some things in perspective. Severe Weather Mode would be mroe important. Save alert mode for the real weather emergencies such as an F5 on the ground or a major hurricane within 12 hours of landfall
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#2 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:03 pm

It is comical to see though!
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:07 pm

Actually they should be in alert mode ... it's justified ... winter storms can kill just as many people as a hurricane ...

I do agree that hurricanes, and severe weather outbreaks should have a higher level of alert though ...
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby wx247 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:10 pm

Maybe we should be on RED ALERT for an imminent winter storm. LOL!

Garrett :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Rob-TheStormChaser

#5 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:11 pm

Problem is, is that this is a huge storm....1500 miles long and 500+ wide...affecting tens of millions of people....this is and will be a very crippling storm, even though its a holiday tomorrow for many.
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby JQ Public » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:12 pm

hehe i guess this was warranted its just that its hitting bigger cities and affecting a larger area so more people may get hurt. Oh well...at least i haven't seen storm stories or anything all day. We need to hope for more of these on wed's so we won't have storm stories and atmosphere's all winter!!
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:40 pm

Rob-TheStormChaser wrote:Problem is, is that this is a huge storm....1500 miles long and 500+ wide...affecting tens of millions of people....this is and will be a very crippling storm, even though its a holiday tomorrow for many.

And it's multi-faceted ... severe weather, icestorm, snowstorm, etc...

JQ Public wrote:i guess this was warranted its just that its hitting bigger cities and affecting a larger area so more people may get hurt. Oh well...at least i haven't seen storm stories or anything all day. We need to hope for more of these on wed's so we won't have storm stories and atmosphere's all winter!!

To TWC's credit, they did the right thing pre-empting Atmospheres with this storm ... I applaud them for that.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby cycloneye » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:27 pm

A better name for the alert would be ( WINTER STORM ALERT) and I favor what they are doing as stormfury said not showing atmospheres.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Derek Ortt

Is this serious enough

#9 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:30 pm

to justify the highest level of alert? Is this as serious as a major hurricane? I say no because most of the deaths are preventable and are indirect, and causes far less damage than a cane. To me, this is no more serious than Isidore's landfall in the USA
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#10 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:35 pm

lol Derek....try explaining that to TWC programmers! And to the multi millions who are now paralyzed with this impending and ongoing storm. I am glad they didnt air Atmospheres...no need....first time in ages I've seen it pre-empted. While I'm not even watching the WC, unless I'm taping LF segments or updates, its still pretty big....maybe one of the top 5 EVER Snowstorms in history.....so lets see what everyone ends up with!
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

glad there was no atmospheres

#11 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:48 pm

They usually pre-empt that in severe weather mode as well. I just hope they don't overdo the alert mode so when they are in alert mode for a multi billion dollar storm, like a tornado in St Louis, or another Andrew, that people just don't dismiss it as they often do with warnings these days
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: glad there was no atmospheres

#12 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:15 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:They usually pre-empt that in severe weather mode as well. I just hope they don't overdo the alert mode so when they are in alert mode for a multi billion dollar storm, like a tornado in St Louis, or another Andrew, that people just don't dismiss it as they often do with warnings these days

You do have a good point there. However, I noticed with a hurricane that they focus more of programming time to the hurricane itself ...
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”